So im taking the wife shooting for the first time tomorow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1.s.1.k, Feb 27, 2009.

1. 1.s.1.k

1.s.1.k New Member

Any tips?
    I'm 30 and have bin shooting for the better part of my life ,
    but i have never had the honer of teaching a new shooter.
    Iv gone over the safety rules and operation of the guns we will bring,
    stance grip ,site picture. what am i missing i want the to have a good time
    so she can share my Passion with me.
    Also what should she take her first shot with i figger one of my 22s
    so my mk2 or my revolver ?
    Also bringing my colt MK IV ,taurus pt99 , my super blackhalk for me don't want to scare her off , and my luger s/42 (she has bin dieing to shoot it since i finished restoring her its what got her wanting to shoot:))
    so advice plz.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Sounds like you have it worked out pretty well. Have her hold the .22s to see which one feels like a good first shot.

How exciting!
  3. I'd go with the Ruger for the first try, 1s1k. I've found that most new shooters find the autos a bit easier to point and shoot the first time. They don't have to deal with cocking a hammer, or with a heavy double action trigger pull and can concentrate on aiming. Just my $.02 worth. ;)
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Just dont bring the 6.5x5 Mannlicher Schonauer! :)
  5. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well as we would want u to see 31..."stay behind her..at all times..":D:D:D

NO, seriously..sounds like u want to do it right and be "safe and considerate "...Dont know if u r going private or public range..but heres one good advice for u....

I have noticed over years that when taking friends/kids/novices to range...that as we arrive at he "site" if I am not carefull and be observant of my proximity to "live fire" I can forget 1st experience to novice and used to forget to have their "hearing protection ready for "immediate USE " for them...eyewear can wait till breeching actual firing line..but have ear prot aroud their necks and ready for 1st steps outside store/shop......

that 1st initiation unprotected can sometimes offset people from EVER enjoying the sport...besides safety and making sure they stay safe/interested..I bet uve got it covered son (respectfully implied )

regards,
  6. 3ME

3ME New Member

Bury the body deep. VERY deep.
  7. 1.s.1.k

1.s.1.k New Member

that was my first thought after this she'll be able to shoot back:eek:,
    public indoor range not very busy.
    good advice all thanx.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

In addition to stance, sight picture, grip.....

Trigger squeeze, follow through.

Lots of new teachers/instructors forget to explain to focus on the front sight and place it over the target. (Not focus on target, or worse try to focus on everything at once.)

Another new instructor mistake is assuming they know what you know. As proficient shooters we take for granted that the most utterly simple fundamental or procedure may seem complex or alien to a non-shooter. Explain everything as it arises; nothing is too simple to require a simple explanation.

Explain how consistency is key to accuracy and how a shot group works. (If she's competitive she may enjoy shooting to beat her groups/compete against her score.)

I've made the mistake before of becoming a little impatient in my behavior. It is important to stay enthusiastic and be positive even if everything you taught went out the window for a few minutes. (She may be testing your sincerity!!) Sometimes you just have to re-explain why something is important...then reteach it.

Don't be too serious...stress the safety but keep everything else fun. You want her to look back the next day and admit she had a great experience. Girls just wanna have fun. :D:D:D
  9. 1.s.1.k

1.s.1.k New Member

she is very competitive hopeing that works in my favor.
    Trigger squeeze, follow through. good point .
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Reactive targets.
    Something that is easy to clean up when you are done.
    Like maybe.........balloons?
  11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I spent a little time training others and noticed one strange thing. Some people who pick up a gun actually shoot quite well first off, then go downhill fast. I have no idea why.

Perhaps its because they are not over thinking?

When I took my son shooting for the first time I put up a big piece of blank paper, so he wouldn't be put off by not getting in the black, and just let him blast away. I figured first step was to show him theres nothing to be afraid of. That he was in charge of the gun, not the other way round. Once he was comfortable with rattling off, we went to sights, trigger control, stance etc.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  12. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Yeah be nice to her right off the bat. The MKII is a good way to start. I was not so nice to my wife when I furst took her out. We had my small Beretta M1935 wich is a good handgun for a Lady. After a few rounds with that thing I handed her my fathers S&W .41 mag with an 8 inch barrel. My wife is but 5'1" and all of 120lbs and lets say only that the Whoopin I recieved was well deserved no matter how funny it seemed at the time.
  13. 1.s.1.k

1.s.1.k New Member

i like that ,were going to a indoor range so i was thinking ill just hang a cardbood backer for a bit and just let her have at it for a bit.
  14. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

From a woman's standpoint, here...just a few thoughts:

Keep the instructions simple; don't overwhelm her with too much at once.

Start out with the simplest gun that has the least amount of recoil... "kick" can be startling to a beginner. (I'll spare you the details of my Mauser experience....although I MAY be related to Big_ugly's wife in re: to the "whoopin" thing...)

Good point re: ear protection, 1shot1k!!

Oh...and don't pout when she out-shoots you :)

Have a great time...I look forward to hearing how it went!
  15. 1.s.1.k

1.s.1.k New Member

i have all the faith in the world she will out shoot me dar perfectionists.
    thanx