The Firearms Forum banner

So is this normal when loading lead bullets?

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
Loading lead bullets for my GP-100 is new for me. Prior all I have loaded is jacket bullets, not even plated bullets.

I was given good advice here on TFF to ensure I have enough mouth expansion as to not skin the lead bullet when seating. Once I got things dialed in I started loading 38 Special with Speer 148 gr HBWC on my LNL AP. I'm using Hornady dies and a Lee FC die. What I'm noticing is after 10 rounds or so, I get a some gray dust accumulation on my shell holder and into my cartridge bin. The dust is very fine lead obviously from the bullet. There is no sign of bullet skinning or wear when the bullet is seated nor is there any when I pull the bullet. So my question is, is this normal and to be expected when loading non jacketed/plated bullets or should I expect zero debris as if I were loading jacked bullets?

I did increase my expansion some more but I don't want to stress my brass anymore than I have to. I can easily insert a bullet into the brass about a 1/4 of the way without any effort which tells me I have adequate expansion.

Thanks guys

#4 ·
I don't know about the Speer HBWC, but Hornady lead bullets come with a dry lube coating them. Looks kinda like mica. And when you load them you get a little fine powder on your shell holder. Not shaving lead, but scraping off a little of the powdery lube.

From the SPEER website.

>BARGAIN BULLETS COMPLETE WITH SPECIAL LUBE. Speer® cold-formed lead bullets have been a great bargain ever since Vernon Speer introduced them over 40 years ago. Now they are even better. All Speer lead bullets feature our hi-tech, multi-layer lube system. This great lube is, simply stated, the best thing in lead bullets. It stays with the bullet instead of burning off, virtually eliminating the gas cutting that causes most leading problems. It won't melt off in storage or transport, and is clean and dry to the touch. For target shooting or plinking, Speer lead bullets are now even a better value. Available in calibers from .32 through .45 exclusively in bulk pack.<

That sounds like the Hornady lube. And looking at the bullet shown on their site, it looks like it's lubed the same.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/handgun/plinker/lead.aspx

#5 ·
The Hornady [HBWC and others] have a bunch of powdered lube on them, and you can't/won't miss it, and would
not even ask about it, it is that self apparent.
The Speer has a multi-layer lube.
I believe they begin with a powder like Hornady, then spray a thin coat of something else over it, then repeat the spray.
It has been a couple yrs since I talked to Speer CS about it, and I don't buy them anymore because the price went too
far up for me. I'm going from memory what they said......but you can call them.
[or they spray it, powder it, spray it....????]

Look in the box they are in, I will bet you find some of the same residue, especially in the bottom.

Careful on the mouth belling......
" I can easily insert a bullet into the brass about a 1/4 of the way without any effort which tells me I have adequate expansion."
I never go that wide for this bullet type.

#8 ·
Careful on the mouth belling......
" I can easily insert a bullet into the brass about a 1/4 of the way without any effort which tells me I have adequate expansion."
I never go that wide for this bullet type.
That's good to hear because I felt like I was belling the brass too much but because of the dust/flecks, I turned it in a little bit more.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses! "Dust" might not have been the most accurate term. It's probably closer to tiny flecks than dust. I've attached pictures after I finished loading about 200 rounds. I did dust my plate off a couple of times while loading so there would have been 2 or 3 times that amount of debris after 200 plus rounds. Disregard the round pieces of debris in my red ammo bin, they are flecks of Unique powder.

Attachments

#21 ·
Interesting, I switched over to 357 Mag tonight and loaded several Hornady 158 gr LRN. My press and shell plate was almost perfectly clean--almost as clean as loading jacketed bullets. If anything I had less flaring of the brass than what I had on my 38 special loads. I'm thinking those Speer 148 gr HBWC are softer and messier.

#27 ·
When you bump and turn and click and squeeze and push and jamb............
and you have any tiny debris , especially from using lead projectiles,
it's normal to get a little crap like this thru time.

I keep a toothbrush handy just for this.

I will occasionally even get a tiny little dimple in the primer from a speck of junk
that has fallen on the anvil. [550B]

#28 ·
When you bump and turn and click and squeeze and push and jamb............
and you have any tiny debris , especially from using lead projectiles,
it's normal to get a little crap like this thru time.

I keep a toothbrush handy just for this.
I have a 1" paintbrush for just the same purpose.

Reactions: gdmoody
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.