So That's How It Feels.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hydra Shok, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

Been kicking the idea of buying a Glock < :eek: > lately, a model 19 to be exact, so I dropped by the shooting center near my house this afternoon to get a good hands on look at one. Guess what? I get a dose of "anti-Glock" from this guy that's buying some kinda Ruger rifle, don't know which rifle it was, because I was MINDING MY OWN DAMN BUSINESS , but he sure decided on minding some of my business. First he made one of those noises that you make if you have a hair stuck on your lip, and you try to blow it off, when I asked to see the 19. Then he procedes to tell me about his Kimber and how accurate it is, I tell him I used to have a Kimber too and l really enjoyed shooting it. Then he tells me " You ain't gonna hit nothing with that thing." Referring to the Glock that I'm just holding with the slide locked back. Then he tells me how to grip it correctly, hold my arms, so on and so on. So my smarta$$ side takes over here and I cut him off....I tell him " You don't know me, you don't know what kind of training I have had or who has given it to me ( nothing special to speak of, but he didn't know that ), so until you open your own shooting center I'll stick to what I know." He turned back to the guy behind the counter and asked about some .223 ammo and left. The guy behind the counter laughed and asked me why I didn't want to take a course from him, jokingly of course. He said there is always someone comming in there and trying to show off their knowledge or feeling to someone else who didn't want it to begin with. So anyway, I kinda like the Glock 19 and I may buy one before too long. It wont be the one they had though, it had the black slide and the OD frame, yuck. So now, before I have even bought one, I get a dose of "anti-Glock".
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I hear what you are saying. Its sheer stupidity. I am always amused by the exchanges between Glocknut and the 1911 crowd, since I love both firearms and both are excellent in their own ways. I have a Glock 17 and I would recommend it over the Glock 19. Its more ergonomic. ,but I would suggest you try both. My hand is a bit smaller than average, so the 17 fits me better due to the angled grip. Glocks are awesome and so are Kimbers. To say that one is better than the other is sheer nonsense ,since they both have multiple applications and different roles can be applied to both. The guy in the shop was a moron. Blanket statements like that are the stuff of idiots.
  3. merc

merc New Member

I always listen to the conversations at the gun shops.
    I pretend to be looking in the cases while a cutomer will talk as if he were an expert.
    Most time the salesman and the customer are both pretty ignorant on the real facts.
    makse ya laugh.
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Well it don’t just happen to glock owners or wanna bees ,when you enter the 1911 crowd they are just they same and split hairs over them as well

70 series ,80 series ,Schwartz safety ,polymer ,single stack ,double stack magazines ,g.i. guide rods ,full length guide rods, two piece verses one piece ,extended safety ,ambi safety ,long trigger short trigger ,power of your springs ,it never ends
    and just for glock nut they are making double action 1911’s {just cheated you out of that excuse}

just remember the old saying ,opinions are like A holes everybody has one

hydra shock when the guy said they were not accurate that there should have told you he doesn’t know crap
  5. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

LOL I know, but it was just his condesending tone he used that grated my nerves. I usually appreciate others opinions because it allows me to see things another way that I may not have considered. The guy working at the gun shop told me that when they have big time national competitors come out and have a tournement, that there are always a few there that want to give the pros so called "tips" on how to shoot or hold their guns or whatever, I guess today was my turn. :rolleyes:
  6. Sackett

Sackett New Member

Hey Hydra,
    I like my 19. When I didn't know a thing about Glocks, a local cop turned me on to them. He recommened the 19 to me cause that was what he carried when not required to carry his dept. issue.
    The 19 feels real good to me. I think thats important in gun selection too. If it doesn't feel good, you probably won't like it.
    The local cop went on to become the Chief of Police.
    A sheriff's deputy got into a discussion with me about small autos. He suggested a Glock 26. I got one. It doesn't feel as comfortable as the 19, but it does feel like a little powerhouse and I like that about it.
    I don't suppose I'm as adamant about guns as some. To me, if it fits your needs or style, and feels comfortable to you, then it probably is a gun to get.
    Yol Bolsun.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I believe the way I worded my opinion on the double action thing was that learning the Glock trigger would give a person a much "better understanding" of double action triggers, especially if you've ever had one with the heavier trigger pull, New York or whatever they call it........
    I did not mean that I would want to own a conventional double action pistol with the long trigger pulls and inconsistant resistance depending on which portion of the pull you're on.
    If they stuck an exact duplicate of a Glock trigger on a 1911....i might consider it.

There's also the bang for the buck issue. I have yet to see a 1911 be compedative with Sig's p220 for level of quality and useability for the dollar.
    Gpostal has a Wilson. I have no doubt that it is a fine....maybe even the finest 1911 built.....but at a whopping $1500 for a new 45....you may be getting the best 1911 out there, but for that kind of money I can get both the Sig p220 and a nice winchester rifle with a pretty darn good scope......

I would be very interested in knowing weither or not Gpostal has ever tried the Sig p220.......

mike
  8. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

Hey Remi, I looked at the 17, 19, 26, and the 30. The 30 is a big ol chunka pistol. The 17 was a little larger than I wanted, the 26 was a little smaller, but the 19 feels just right to me for every day carry. It has a place to put my pinky finger, so I don't hafta stick it out like a sissy :D . I like my Millennium, but with out the grip extension you gotta stick out the pinky finger. I'm gonna give it to my son when he turns 21 so I figured I'd start lookin for a replacement, even though he won't be 21 for 4 more years, why waste time?
  9. Greg

Greg New Member

Hey Hydra, its a free country (for now anyhow). Some people are just legends in their own mind, and can't imagine someone not wanting to be impressed by them. Take his inputs for what they were worth and move on. Hang with those that give you comradery and enjoyment.

As far as the Glock goes, it is a fine handgun (I'll probably hear about this one). Out of all the fine handguns out there, and there are many, which ones stand out for their impact in the firearms industry and contribution? The old Colt single action revolver, the 1911, and the Glock. If the CZ had been available to the U.S. earlier, it may have been held with higher regard as well. That will probably get some people's hackles up, but what the heck.
  10. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Yes I have shot a sig p220 , good shooters and nice guns ,but the negative side is to many moving parts ,more moving parts more chance of things going wrong

Buy a sig p220 ,put a match grade barrel on it , have a 3#trigger pull added ,then have it coated with armor tuff finish you should be close to my Wilson in price

And I would hate to disassemble on of those ,I can see springs flying all over
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

That would be me....on the phone ordering springs that i could'nt find on the floor and under things.....oh yeah...
    Been there, done that....

GN
  12. islenos

islenos New Member

I'm a 1911A1 kind of guy only cause I used one in the Corps. Don't have anything against any of the other fine handguns out there but I do remember a friend of mine having a Glock blow up. It didn't scare him off, he just went out and got another one.
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

No hackles raised here! [grin]

The CZ is an excellent weapon, copied by many, almost as much as the 1911 is copied.

My choices, when I decided to buy my first handgun, were a Glock and the CZ. Two factors made the CZ75 my choice: Price and "feel." The CZ was the better value. Both my wife and I thought it felt better in our hands than any of the Glocks, especially when the Hogue grips were added. Comparing prices of the CZ to the Glock, the CZ won hands-down. The Glock was at least $150 more than the CZ.

That said, if one of the Glocks had felt as nice in our hands as the CZ did, we probably would have spent the extra money.

Of course, I later on got a chance to fire a Kimber and fell in love with the 1911...

...and still can't afford one!
  14. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

I do not own a Glock. I own a Ruger and a Colt Goverment. I prefer the feel of the Colt, (real steel) but love the Ruger also. You need to make the call as to what you like. Personal feelings aside, go with your gut. Don
  15. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I guess the bottom line is what you yourself are comfortable with and like. I happen to like the Browning Hi-Power and the 1911-A1. However it gets down in reality to a caddy or Lincoln.