So what is next on the horizon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampaterry, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Firearms development has a very long and rich history of innovation following innovation, each one a vast improvement over the previous one -

Touch-hole -
    Match-lock
    Snap-haunce
    Flint-lock
    Cap-lock

Breech-loading -
    Self contained cartridge -

And what has happened since?

Furtive attempt into rocket propulsion (Gyro-Jet)
    died
    Furtive attempt into caseless cartridges
    died

What is the next step?
    New propulsion not requiring an explosion, perhaps, such as magnetic acceleration?
    Vastly improved spring/pneumatic weapons?
    Rapid chemical reaction producing pressure without flame?

And -
    When a brand new one comes out, will you buy it if you can afford it?
  2. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

dry ice and water-very impressive.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am waiting for a Phaser to come to market. You know, set it for stun, vaporize.
  4. ampaterry

Oh, I would be FIRST IN LINE for one of THOSE!!!
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i did some work for metalstorm

would i buy one if allowed and could afford it?

damn straight!!!!

5500 fps from a 5" barrel YEEE HAAAARRR

10mm 145 gr projectile thats got a near flat trajectory for over 300 yards!!

its a hoot folks

two hands for the young uns ( and oldun's too)
    and set it to fire A FULL LOAD OF 22 RND'S IN LESS THAN A SECOND IF DESIRED
    wont hit squat but heck its a hoot

seen the M88 ??

metalstorm version of the M203 on a styer base

deployed to the ghan last year for "feild trials"

lots of martyrs eh

;)

Attached Files:

6. ampaterry

But seriously -
    Are energy weapons the next step?
    Particle beam - laser - etc.?
    No windage, no elevation calculations - no recoil -

Actually, that does not sound NEARLY as much fun as the boom of a .44 mag in my palm -
  7. ampaterry

Wow!
    I like that one, Jack!

I had a Freon powered BB machine gun once -
    Very innacurate, to be sure, but squeeze that trigger and there was a sort of 'whiiiissshhh' which dispensed several hundred bb's in just a second or so -
    Thick bottles which are impervious to single shots with a bb gun would disintigrate under the onslaught of this thing -

But then Freon became 'bad', and I got rid of it due to non-availability of the gas to shoot it with.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Energy weapons for sure.
    Still a long way off for civilian use (if ever).

But think of how 'green' they would be!:D:p:D
    No more burnt powder, no more lead, no more waking the neighbors at night.
    What's not to like?;)
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

best part of the metalstorm stuff is the built in time/ distance fuse for the larger rounds like the 40mm above

you can airburst them over a enemy trench system

dial up the range send em down range and Boom! frags galore!!

set it up and fire short and it will bounce a few times before exploding

i got pretty good at bounce firing them and could roll em into a trench after a while 100% of the time at 200 meters

nyuck nyuck nyuck, (my three stooges laugh ) pity i never got to play with one for real (real enemy )

4 RAR CDO is screaming out for another 60 units to be employed in the ghan
    they have 6 currently and love the effect
  10. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

We were playing with a 1MW laser back in the early 60s. It never went anywhere, as we couldn't figure out how to transport the hydroelectric dam around with us. :D

Pops
  12. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

We do seem to be at a peak of firearms technology. Until chemistry, mettalurgy, and engineering finds a new advance in the field we're stuck with smaller developments.
    Metalstorm is doing some innovative work with the "no moving parts" idea being one of my favorites.
    I love electronic triggers, if you've never tried one I suggest it!
  13. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Boy Pops, that sure brings back memories! What I wouldn't give for a freon powered BB machine gun! :D A friend of mine had 1 when we were kids..... it would 'squirt' BB's out like water out of a hose. We wrote our names in my Parent's 6ft wooden fence from the back porch! My Father still gives me grief about that 1 to this day. :eek:

(We're probably the sole reason why there's a hole in the ozone layer..... :rolleyes: :p)

My favorite thing about Metalstorm is it's ability to fire several different types of ammunition from the same weapon at the same time!

Having JHP's, buckshot, AP, etc. all loaded & ready to shoot...... yeah baby! :D I think the picture of the small arm below shows several types of ammunition loaded in the same weapon.

@ Jack; Did they have to pay you to do the testing? :D (I woulda paid them!! :p ;))

SR

Attached Files:

14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Mobil lasers, and sound generating weapons are already being used by the military. These type of weapons will never find their way into civilian hands, unless you are very rich, and connected. I believe that the next big jump will be in ammo, and metal technology. Pistols made of metal that will withstand the pressures that are produced by rifle cartridges, and the pistol bullets to go with them. Bullet speed is another place were we will see some changes, in both rifle, and pistol.
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

You see a nice 10 point buck, take aim and it disappears, ah cwap I forgot to move the phasor off disintegrate or a perp breaks in, aim and honey can you get the broom and dust pan we had another break in.
  16. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Had another thought, how about neural triggers? No squeezing needed, just THINK the right thought, and the gun fires. Of course the electrodes might prove problematic.
  17. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Thats a goodun. No need to even call the Sheriff.
  18. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no we DO NOT WANT THAT

imagine no China , no Africa , No Middle east,

THATS what would happen if i had a neural trigger, and thats just in my sleep!!!

hahahahahaha

but then again....

as for metal storm i took a hit in Cambodia and the bloke who started metalstorm asked the Army for some weapons people and that ended up being me and 2 other folks who where recovering on light duties,
    later after i got out i lived not that far from Salsbury in South Australia where the test range was so i did some work for him as the armourer/loader thanks to the edu and skills i got when serving

remember when you set off all charges at once the force compounds

so 27,000 lb's / sq inch ( a standard charge per round) x 22 rounds is a heap so the first round out is 27K x 22 lb's / sq inch

the next one out is 27K x 21

the next is 27K x 20 and so on

in single round mode you get standard projectile energy each shot

but battery fire mode ( all rounds going off at once)

hold on to your hats

the pucker factor is off the scale ;)

cheers

jack

oh i should add that full battery mode will not be on any civilian weapons a delayed battery ( like machine gun fire) is considered as the strain on the barrel is considered too much for a civilian weapon and for weight considerations

a 5 lb hand gun is ok to test on but would not sell and the ammount of firepower is scarey to authorities
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  19. bizy

bizy New Member

I seen metalstorm on ultimate weapons.. Absolutely awesom.
    Metalstorm rocks...

I can't imagine 1,000,000 rounds per minute..
  20. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

5 lb. handgun with those kind of numbers with it? Jack, I won't EVER argue with you considering your experience, but I will politely say that I would LOVE to try out a programmable, electronically triggered handgun with those performance numbers. I'm used to biga** .44magnums. I know it won't ever be close to legal for civilians, even here. Metalstorm's offerings remind me of my time playing paintball. Big difference is, they use real world combat oriented firearms. I loved my tournament-level electronic paintball "guns," (we call them "markers") since they quite handily outperformed the gunpowder-based, mechanical firearms I was used to.
    On an electronic trigger, I averaged 13 shots per second easily. On average. I actually needed to slow down that rate as I wasn't primarily a tournament player. I know/knew tournament players that got over 20 shots per second, over 30 in some cases, and all the numbers I'm talking about here are on SEMI-AUTO settings. Full auto can be faster and is disallowed on most all paintball fields.
    Metalstorm's numbers are impressive but not shocking to me. Firing the "next" round as the "previous" is still in the barell... now that's awesome.

But can you still hit the target?
    High fire rate is great in paintball, where accuracy is limited by a gel-filled unstable sphere of a projectile. You've gotta put out shots as none of them are accurate.

I'm still happy with semi-auto for rifles where aimed high velocity projectiles hit the target. I have little use for full auto. I SEE its use, but don't NEED it.