So who has a tac vest?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Country101, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I just bought a 5.11 vtac lbe vest for work. Got a few pistol mag pouches( a double and single), a flashbang pouch for my radio, a cuff pouch, and a maxpedition four by six utility pouch. And to avoid paying shipping I got a tactical keyper(not sure what exactly makes a key clip tactical, but whatever). I have a little bit of gear from work that will go on it, but not all my work gear is set up for molle, so I had to buy my own if I wanted to wear a vest. I got some of the blackhawk speed clips so I could mount stuff horizontally too. I didnt get any AR mag pouches since I dont have one any more and I would rather them on my belt in thier free pouch anyway. If I get another one someday, I can add them to the setup then. Anybody else got a rig like this? If so, what is your setup? I'll get some pictures of mine once I get everything in.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a couple ;)
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Got pictures? Or advice for a setup?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this one i've set up to suit me , i dont know what your using yours for,

this is without the ballistic plates as they are a no no here

front i've got the wrong sized pouches for my .40 the shorter ones are on their way now ( i hope, they're paid for )

top is a packet for a motorola and a field dressing , sides have water bottle and small 60's type basic pouch for odd's and ends ( both sides )

nothing on the back so i can carry a pack as well

Attached Files:

5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

it came with the pouches for 40mm grenades and i been playing with bit's and peices but as it's US kit its a long wait between experiments
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Mine is just for my duty gear at work(I'm a nuclear security officer). Mine is fully molle. No need for ballistic plates. I wouldnt want to carry them around anyway. Nothing on the back either.I dont have to carry a lot of military type gear, just something similar to a police officer with a few additions. I got it to try to get some of the crap off my belt so I can actually sit down. If they will ever buy me one, I will use mine at the range and when I go pig hunting.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the best ones here are platatac but beyond my price range to be honest i been trading bits and pieces to get this and buying the extra's on ebay and other places

this is good kit but still not what i really want , i'm going to look for a good seamstress and get them to make one from our cam material ( canvas ) and add the molle type straps to it where i want em
  8. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I just have my old military stuff with a drop holster.

[​IMG]
  9. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I've got one but don't have any pics yet. I'll work one getting some posted, bit it is an el cheapo from CTD. Getting ready to get one that also has level IV armor with molle setup instead.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  11. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have one similar to the one Carver has pictured plus it has shot shell loops and com pocket. They're quite handy in the event of a situation for unencumbered movement.
  12. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Mine has too many pockets to list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It isn't "tac" anymore since it has 30lbs of shooting stuff in it. :p

I take it with me when I take my daily shot; it has everything I might need.
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Carver, 5.11 makes thier vest in xxl sizes. They adjust fairly well. They are not designed for carrying plates, but are well built and seem to be comfortable.

Later on, I may buy a few mag pouches set up for rifle and shotgun rounds. I saw a few by blackhawk and 5.11 that looked handy and secure. If I am not using it at work, I will be using it for hog hunting where I will be carrying a few pistols my 30-30, and possibly a shotgun or some combination. So those could come in handy. I just dont want to buy them before I actually have a use for them.

For now, the four by six can be filled with my extra ammo. I think it is about the right size utility pouch without filling up every spare inch on my vest. The flashbang holder will hold my work radio and if I use it at home later, I can put a walkie in it.

Has anybody had to find something to attach thier vest to thier belt? The 5.11 vest has some small rectangular loops to use, but you cant fit a normal duty keeper through it and it doesnt come with anything. They also dont have any accessories to buy to use. Any ideas that wont look like I used one step above duct tape and dont cost a bunch?
  14. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Survival bracelets with plastic buckles?
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Something like that would be an option, but they would have to be made on the vest. There is only room for a single piece of paracord to be threaded through, so I couldnt just slide a premade one through. I have some black paracord I could try to braid onto the vest and I already have some buckles. I may have to get with you on how to braid it and how best to attach it to a buckle if I try that. A flat piece of velcro would fit through it, but I dont know how you would attach to the belt and make it look good.