So Ya Wanna Buy a Handgun in NJ!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by njretcop, Dec 22, 2004.

1. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Yo,

Youse guys that can just show your driver's license and buy a handgun, read this and laugh!

In order to purchase a handgun in NJ, you begin by going to your local police dept. There you request an application to obtain a "Permit to Purchase." You simply fill out two forms, one of which is a waiver of all your medical and mental history. The other one is just a thousand questions.

You must give the names of two references, not related to you. You return the forms to the clerk and then go to get fingerprinted. BTW, did I mention that this procedure is necessary for EVERY handgun you buy?

Now the waiting begins. The fingerprints are sent off to the FBI, the two references you gave will be sent forms in the mail to fill out and return to the department. When at long last all the forms are back and in order, they are sent to the Chief of Police.

Now at his descretion, he can approve the application, or have you come into his office for a sit down to determine if he is going to issue the permit.

Finally the big day comes (usually six months later) when the weapons clerk for the department tells you that, for a fee, you may come in and pick up your purchase permit. It is good for 90 days! If you do not make a purchase within that time, the permit is null and void and you must start the whole thing over again.

The are two exceptions, that in order to be fair, I must relate. On the original application there is a box where you may request as many permits as you want for that application. However, if you request more than two, it trips a signal to the chief that you must be a terrorist and will be called in for an interview. The 90 day rule applies. Exception #2 is that the chief, at his descretion, may extend your permit beyond 90 days if the gun you want has to be ordered special, or is not in stock.

Guess where I've been all day................ :mad:
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Do the "Bangers" have to go through this same procedure or can they just buy one out of the trunk of another bangers car????

"New Jersey" keeping honest people honest. :eek:

BTW Happy Birthday Charlie
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

OK I am guessing that you have been house hunting in Florida so you can buy as many as often as you want just pay the $5 back ground check. :D
    my last purchase was for three pistols and one rifle took all of $5.00 and a two minute phone call :D plus the price of the four guns :rolleyes:
    Now I know why I like Fl.
    Ron

Attached Files:

4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

In Texas, I just say.....Glock 17 with a 32 rounder please.....drop free.

ANY QUESTIONS????

LTS
  5. Swwbo

Swwbo New Member

2 dollar back ground check and your out the door.. I just got Stephen a gun last week for christmas... only took a few minutes..
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Yep, fill out the yellow form, wait while the salesperson calls for the background check, out the door within ten minutes! :D
  7. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Just another reason to move back to Pa!!! Ma picked up her gun, they did the background check, charged her nothing and she was out the door in 10 minutes!!!
  8. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Until the advent of the internet, I never knew there were such atrocious gun laws in other states. I was REALLY pissed when they implemented the instant background check here. I made phone calls, wrote letters emphasizing how incensed I was in the UN-Constitutional laws that they had passed. Was so pissed, I sent my FFL in (among other reasons, but this reason broke the camels back) saying that I wanted NO PART of what they were doing.

THEN I found out some of the REALLY horrendous stuff that they had already gotten away with in other states. Now I know that the anti-gun attitude, like a cancer, is spreading across this country. Where will it be stopped? When will people rise up and say, enough is enough? I am sorry to say, I do not see it happening in my lifetime. Of course, that is what “they” are counting on.

With the BRAINWASHING that our “educational system” is (and HAS been) teaching the children about firearms. Once enough of us “old farts” have passed on, they will have no problem voting in a complete ban on firearms. It may come sooner that you think. They have been brainwashing them for some time now.
  9. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Pay for a background check? Sheesh..all they do is make a phone call!

Pickenup: Perhaps it is up to all us old farts to start training and breaking the up and coming "old farts" so that our attitude is passed down!

All the rules to buy a handgun in New Jersey is just another reason why I wouldn't want to live there. They would make me a criminal the instant I moved into the state!

Merry Christmas everyone...

John
  10. 358 winchester

OLD FARTS who you calling an OLD FART I have never saved mine long enough to have them get old I just set them free as soon as I can. Well I have saved a few in jars for that special time when I might need one and not have a fresh one to share but I never keep them around long enough to get real old. My grand kids gave me a tee shirt that says " we love our old fart" I like it but Carla says I can't wear it in public. ( but I do :D :D :D )
    Ron
  11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Ron: Fart in a pillow you can save it quite awhile that way!!! :D

Wait till ya see the look on Carla's face when she lays on it!!! :) :D

Then Run like hell!!!!! :eek:
  12. 358 winchester

BEEN there done that :D :D :D never again :eek: she wasn't happy
  13. armabill

armabill Member

Move across the river to Pa. Alot more gun friendly.