1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SOG Primative Jungle Knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by 01brian, Mar 7, 2012.

1. 01brian

01brian New Member

So, I saw the SOG primative jungle knife in the cabella's fall catalog last year and it seemed pretty cool...Although they were asking somewhere between 60 & 80, or so...can't remember for sure, but it was too much to place an order without putting my hands on it. I found it on amazon a couple weeks ago for 35$ and that seemed low enough to risk it. It arrived yesterday and man, i thought it would be bigger!! I guess i didn't really look at the measurements they showed on line, but its basically a bowie knife. Which is fine, but I was looking for something a little larger, maybe 1/2 again the size. Its a little thin and the handle is ok i guess. The sheath is there, but not super great, I had to stretch it to get the buttons to line up to keep it strapped in. The blade was ok, but needs work. The saw is really not a saw, I don't think it would really last too long.

LONG story short, I'm sure glad I didn't spend the full price on it. I think its worth $35 bucks for a entry level bowie..i guess...I'm going to keep it around with the rest of the junk i usually end up with...

Attached Files:

• SOG.jpg
      SOG.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would have not thought that of SOG.

I have an Aegis assisted open and Love it. In fact it is in my pocket as I type this.
  3. 01brian

01brian New Member

Its quite possible I had set my expectations too high for this particular knife...therefore was dissapointed when it showed up. I think I still like it, but am also "still looking" for just the right one.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

9.5" blade, that's around the size of the knife used in the 1st Rambo movie.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I'm waiting for this kershaw.

[​IMG]
  6. 01brian

01brian New Member

oooo...that's Nice! I've got a kershaw diver's knife I keep on me....I really like it. I had to grind the tip just a tad to make i legal here. What's the blade length on that one?
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

10" for that one. I think it is called the camp 10.
  8. Lee D

Lee D New Member

if an affordable big blade made of quality steel is what youre looking for, Becker K&T is the way to go. Ethan Becker knows how to design a blade intended to be used hard and theyre now made by KaBar.

i have several of their models, Camillus made ones and the newer KaBars, and the BK9 is a razor sharp beast.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Back to the SOG, I too wanted to add that to my collection, then I handled it at a shop in town, seemed very lightweight to me, kinda flimsy I guess, did you feel that way?

I would still like to have one, however their are many more in that range I like much more.

Sorry you were a bit disappointed, I was as well, I think I ended up with the Ontario Marine Raider that day instead and love it.

Strange of SOG, maybe some people love it IDK.
  10. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

When I was younger, I had a preference for longer blades. Nowadays I like the shortest blade that will do the job, but with a full handle. My EDC is about 3" long fixed blade. When I go out in the woods, I take a longer blade or two just because I can. You can do a lot with a well made 4 1/2" blade. All my knives range from 2.75 to 11" and made by
    Bark River Knife and Tool.

Tom
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Yeah I just got the USMC KaBar full size combat knife, I Love it but would love to see it with the very same grip however with a 5 inch blade, but I love this thing a lot. I know they make the shorty but the grip is smaller as well from my understanding, sorry off topic.