SOG Primative Jungle Knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by 01brian, Mar 7, 2012.

1. 01brian

01brian New Member

So, I saw the SOG primative jungle knife in the cabella's fall catalog last year and it seemed pretty cool...Although they were asking somewhere between 60 & 80, or so...can't remember for sure, but it was too much to place an order without putting my hands on it. I found it on amazon a couple weeks ago for 35$ and that seemed low enough to risk it. It arrived yesterday and man, i thought it would be bigger!! I guess i didn't really look at the measurements they showed on line, but its basically a bowie knife. Which is fine, but I was looking for something a little larger, maybe 1/2 again the size. Its a little thin and the handle is ok i guess. The sheath is there, but not super great, I had to stretch it to get the buttons to line up to keep it strapped in. The blade was ok, but needs work. The saw is really not a saw, I don't think it would really last too long.

LONG story short, I'm sure glad I didn't spend the full price on it. I think its worth $35 bucks for a entry level bowie..i guess...I'm going to keep it around with the rest of the junk i usually end up with...

Attached Files:

• SOG.jpg
      SOG.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would have not thought that of SOG.

I have an Aegis assisted open and Love it. In fact it is in my pocket as I type this.
  3. 01brian

01brian New Member

Its quite possible I had set my expectations too high for this particular knife...therefore was dissapointed when it showed up. I think I still like it, but am also "still looking" for just the right one.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

9.5" blade, that's around the size of the knife used in the 1st Rambo movie.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I'm waiting for this kershaw.

[​IMG]
  6. 01brian

01brian New Member

oooo...that's Nice! I've got a kershaw diver's knife I keep on me....I really like it. I had to grind the tip just a tad to make i legal here. What's the blade length on that one?
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

10" for that one. I think it is called the camp 10.
  8. Lee D

Lee D New Member

if an affordable big blade made of quality steel is what youre looking for, Becker K&T is the way to go. Ethan Becker knows how to design a blade intended to be used hard and theyre now made by KaBar.

i have several of their models, Camillus made ones and the newer KaBars, and the BK9 is a razor sharp beast.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Back to the SOG, I too wanted to add that to my collection, then I handled it at a shop in town, seemed very lightweight to me, kinda flimsy I guess, did you feel that way?

I would still like to have one, however their are many more in that range I like much more.

Sorry you were a bit disappointed, I was as well, I think I ended up with the Ontario Marine Raider that day instead and love it.

Strange of SOG, maybe some people love it IDK.
  10. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

When I was younger, I had a preference for longer blades. Nowadays I like the shortest blade that will do the job, but with a full handle. My EDC is about 3" long fixed blade. When I go out in the woods, I take a longer blade or two just because I can. You can do a lot with a well made 4 1/2" blade. All my knives range from 2.75 to 11" and made by
    Bark River Knife and Tool.

Tom
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. JasonS

JasonS New Member

Yeah I just got the USMC KaBar full size combat knife, I Love it but would love to see it with the very same grip however with a 5 inch blade, but I love this thing a lot. I know they make the shorty but the grip is smaller as well from my understanding, sorry off topic.