sold the 9. looking for a .40

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by STAYFROSTY, Jun 13, 2012.

1. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

Sold the SR9 today. Looking for a .40 range and everyday carry. I found an awesome deal on a glock 23rtf. I have very sweaty hands and the rtf seems to be a great choice for me. The Sr9 was a sweet pistol, its just not for me. I had one of the limited O.D. green with matte black slide. The Sr9 had a really stiff slide, the slide serations did not work for me.

Any thoughts on a the glock 23 rtf?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've been most impressed with mine , a EAA witness in .40 S&W

Attached Files:

• baby.jpg
      baby.jpg
      File size:
      407.7 KB
      Views:
  3. STAYFROSTY

STAYFROSTY Member

Well. Glock 23RTF2 it is. Love it. Overall fit and finish is perfect. Glock perfection. Lol. Love it. Smooth action. Low recoil flip, but just enough snap. Acurate too. 5 yards 3 bullets in one hole and 1 with the outter rings touching. 15 yards shot slighty left but 13 rnds in in a group that can be covered by the palm of my hand. I dont think its the gun, I noticed while dry practicing I'm not real consistent with the the trigger. Half of the time I'm pulling the muzzle left . Round about 33yards(The walk it out measure method) I hit all rounds inside the silhouette, pretty large group but still combat acurate. Still blaming me. The gun is very acurate from what Ive seen so far.
  4. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Good choice.
  5. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Good choice but I'll put my XDm with the 3.8" barrel up against it out as far as 25 yards. Beyond that I lose accuracy pretty quick. It's not very accurate at all at 30 yards but at 25 I can hit a 4" spinner at least half of the time. Go figure.

I will say you should give Hornady Critical Duty ammo a shot. That stuff is magic in my .40. It's very accurate and hits hard. It expands really well in my tests too. I have been using Speer Gold Dot and some other Hornady for carry ammo but the Critical Duty stuff blows both of the old types away. The only ammo I've ever seen work better is the Speer Gold Dot .45 for short barrels. It's very hot for ammo fired from a short barreled pistol. It really impressed me.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you ever get the chance, try a 1911A1! They say that once you try it, you can never go back!
  7. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Love it! The 23 has been my daily carry side arm for 4 years now. I like how it feels in my hands, nice weight ratio, VERY accurate. I pack it with Speer Gold dot, I did some comparison test and the gold dots never failed to open up in sand, water and wood. I'll be checking out those hornaday critical duty ammo that CJ_56 recommends! The one thing I love about my Glock is it's reliability, not one failure. I'm a Glock and AK man because I love that war time reliability.

I haven't shot the rtf version but that definitely looks like something I would want!
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

Glocks are great guns with one small caveat, they have a small section of the barrel/chamber that is open and does not fully support the cartridge. This allows the brass/cartridge to swell when fired. If you shoot nothing but factory new ammo it isn't a problem, if you shoot reloads this can and probably will be a problem because of the bulged brass. Consider the Smith and Wesson M&P40 as an alternative, if I remember correctly it has a fully supported chamber, and has a double strike capability also.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  9. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

True but that is the reason they are so reliable is that they have the unsupported chamber. They do sell after market barrels with a supported chamber if you wish to shoot reloads and lead ammo.
  10. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Shot a Sig Sauer in .40 yesterday and was very impressed.....still will stick to my 1911 .45 though.
  11. jce07a

jce07a New Member

glock 23 with hornady critical defense has been my daily carry for 6 months. and i love it.
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

CZ in .40 is what I want...I carried a Glock 23 as a deputy...I don't really like plastic
  13. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I love my XDm .40. Very accurate. High capacity. So far very dependable. It's a little heavier than my other carry pistol but it holds 6 more rounds too. But I like all my carry guns to be honest. I wouldn't have them if I didn't like them.