Solved problem with my 45 ACP load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

teddydogg
    (9/22/02 9:07:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Solved problem with my 45 ACP load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may recall I asked a couple of questions about my .45 ACP loads a couple weeks back. One of the issues was that my loads would not fully chamber in my GI/Essex 1911 but worked great in my Ballester-Molina.

I finally did the post-mortem today and found that I had left the case mouth belled by .007 inch. This was actually visible in good light and easily felt. I was being careful not to crimp too much and ended up not crimping at all! I adjusted the seating die down in small steps until the bell went away and the rounds would drop easily into the chamber.

Thanks for your helpful thoughts.

Rob

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/23/02 8:44:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Solved problem with my 45 ACP load
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob: Some times it's the simple things that grab you by the butt.

Glad you're out of the woods.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/23/02 8:51:17 am)
    Rob, thanks for the update. It's nice to know you found your problem.

Have fun shooting
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/26/02 7:55:54 pm)
    Hi, Rob. The .45 acp is one of my favorite calibers to load and shoot, that and the .45 auto rim are used a lot in my two S&W revolvers. Hardly ever shoot my Randall .45 acp semi-auto pistol anymore.

In the revolvers use full moon clips for the .45 acp and the .45 auto rims without the moonies.

As much as I love the .44 special and .44 magnum I've to say the .45 acp is probably the best all around cartridge ever produced. I know that comment will bring on a howl of protest from some other caliber enthusiast...but it is.

Gunguy

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/9/02 3:01:37 pm)
    GG...I hate that your Randall just sits around...all lonely like that. Tell you what...just send her to me...I promise to take her for walks at least once a month.

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"
    Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign