1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Some basic load questions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rocklinskier, Dec 29, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

O.K. Just getting started. Got my gear, bought some components, and of course, I'm already stuck, not to mention $400 poorer.

So, I have a Speer manual, and a Lyman manual. Shelves are still pretty empty around here. Could not find the stuff I originally wanted to get. So if yall can help...

I have Federal LP primers, Hornady 230 GR HP/XTP (prt#45160), and bullseye powder.
    I'm loading for target loads...the JHP's are only because both the places I shopped didn't have any 230 or 200 RN.
    Don't have a direct app in either manual.

1) Can I use the Speer GDHP 230 data for the Hornady?

2) Does using Fed. large pistol differ (data wise) from CCI or Rem?

3) I did see HSM lead RN bullets at one of the supplies. Might buy a box of those. Is RN lead universal for load? Or do I have to find data specifically for HSM.. I have data for RN lead in both books, but it is for speer, others.

Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Start at the min load data, load up 5 or so for testing and work your way up in .1-.2gr increments. You'll be just fine. Do a few loads until you approach mid range. Double check your loads and do a careful inspection of the finished product. ( primers, consistent weights, seating depths, etc ) Then head to the range and test them out. Single shots for the first 2 and then check for signs of overpressure after each one. Then three for feed and cycling test. Best of Luck to Ya !
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

THanks Woolley. Will do.
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Hey Rock try the reloading pages of M D Smith you can google it and see if he has the data you need.........
  5. neilin

neilin New Member

2) Does using Fed. large pistol differ (data wise) from CCI or Rem?

For a partial answer to your second question, in my experience, the Federal primer always egnites with a light hammer drop or tuned pistol. Whereas, the CCI's are hard and require a hard hammer drop. The CCI's will tend to misfire (not ignite) with a light hammer drop or tuned pistol. I have never used the Rem.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

No and yes. No, you will be fine with the Feds as long as you start low and work up. And yes, if you find a good load and you switch to a different primer you should reduce your charge and work back up. Anytime you change a component you should start low and work back up. Especially if your loads are at or near max.
  7. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Thanks everybody
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Good sound advice Steve.

Sounds like 45 acp you are loading. I like Unique for low power loads and Power Pistol or Blue Dot for stouter loads.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009