Some Days Chicken......Some Days Feathers

Discussion in 'VMBB Fire For Effect' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Dave P.
    (3/4/01 9:35:12 pm)
    | Del All Some Days Chicken......Some Days Feathers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's a feathers day today. One of those days where distant memories come and bite you square in the keester. I got a call today from a very good friend of mine. He wanted to tell me about something I should see...before telling you what, some history: My friend and I worked together for many years and he was the room mate of Marty Given, a kid from my home town, at Camp Holloway in Vietnam in '68. When I mentioned to my friend (this was many years ago) where I grew up, he immediately asked if I'd known Marty Given...... Well, the long and short of it is during my leave before going to Vietnam, I'd gotten a call from Marty asking if he could come speak with me. Of course I said sure...we arranged for him to come to my parent's house. He wanted to know all about Warrant Officer Flight Training. I sold him on it and later heard he'd been accepted and was going to school. That's the last I heard until I read his obituary. Well, the phone call today was to tell me about a web site dedicated to Marty. I still have tremendous guilt about giving Marty a sales job on the flight program........he probably would have gone anyway.
    His website was made by his brother and just came on a short while ago I guess. It's kind of neat and you might enjoy looking at it. I did but it brought back some very haunting memories. www.campholloway.com
    Dave

Edited by: Tac401 at: 3/4/01 10:19:57 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/4/01 10:21:15 pm)
    | Del Re: Some Days Chicken......Some Days Feathers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave,

I made your friends link active for you.

JD
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

dap22
    (3/5/01 9:15:45 am)
    Thanks Pal......appreciate it.

Misterstan
    (3/5/01 9:50:03 am)
    Dave,

Interesting Web Site. I especially liked the photo album.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Genog123
    (3/5/01 4:04:51 pm)
    Dave,
    Great site. Thanks for sharing.
    And you brother, should not carry guilt. It sounds as though Marty had his mind set and just wanted an opinion from someone who knew.

Geno G

dap22
    (3/9/01 1:05:16 pm)
    | Del Re: Resolved
    Since posting this a few days ago, I've gotten in contact with two or Marty's sisters and his brother by email. They all pretty much said that he was committed to go anyhow and my words probably wouldn't have swayed him one way or another. A relief.
    Geno G, thanks for the words
    Dave

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/9/01 2:39:42 pm)
    | Del Re: Resolved
    Dave,

Good for you pal, thumbs up, one more weight off the
    shoulders is always a good thing.

JD