Some drinking recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enzo_Guy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I realize a lot of members on this forum are older than myself, and since I have just recently turned 21 I though I would ask those more experienced than myself.

I don't drink to get drunk, I used to do that but nowadays I prefer to drink something for the taste. So as such, I'm a rum and whiskey man, I don't like much else. I prefer to pour a glass of a very nice dark liquor and spend the next half hour sipping on it. So can anyone recommend me a top shelf rum or whiskey that I should try?

I've already had the typical Captain Morgan Black Cask, Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Bacardi, Evan Williams, Jameson, etc. I'm really looking for something I have never heard of, because I am only 21 and I have only tried the standard brands. I bought my first bottle of Crown Royal today and I like it quite a bit, it goes down very smooth for a blended Canadian whiskey, but of course a good single malt will always be better.:D

What I'm looking for are some good recommendations for dark rum, the best bourbon, and single malt that I should try. I want to expand my palette to something at least a little better than the usual things I would find at a bar. Because if I can go to any bar and ask for a shot of it, well it's not quite unique enough for me to buy a bottle of it. I enjoy the different and unusual in life (after all, I did build a turbocharged Ford Ranger). So the more offbeat, but still full flavored, it is the more I would like it.

I would also say I enjoy microbrew local beers more than any liquor. Backfin, Clipper City, and other Baltimore beers taste very good to me. I was also in Dover over the weekend and tried Turbodog for the first time, it was a dark beer but sweet at the same time. So if anyone has any recommendations for local Mid-Atlantic ales or lagers I would be interested.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

CSR inner circle red ( also known as naval rum ) for the rum get the red ( OP )

bourbon would be taylors witness if you can get it , i think its sold via lot ..

glenmorangie for the single malt commercial dect dar if you can put your hands on it but again thats maybe 20,000 bottles a year total production so hard to get , its a highland single malt

if its full flavour you wish hennesy XO cognac warm the glass ..

all that said i have a still , and what i make nowdays is as good or better than what i can afford ..

i've a bourbon i casked 8 years ago , and its smooooth as.. a bit pale .. but the flavours there , but i aint using oak so missing some tannin's for colour , thats life ..
  3. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I searched for CSR Inner Circle Red and Taylor's Witness, I can't find anyone in the States who distributes either one.

Hennessy I don't care for. I've had it before and I would rather just drink whiskey or rum than spend that kind of money on cognac, it's not worth it.

As for Glenmorangle, I can't find anywhere it's sold in the United States or else I would try it.

As for having a still, making any form of liquor is illegal in this country and I would rather avoid the ATF knocking on my door.
  4. boatme99

boatme99 New Member

Pampero rum. Enjoy slowly. :)
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah for a spiced rum Pampero is right up there

bugger about the availability there and i cant send booze now either !!

i made up a batch of lemon vodka , bottled it packed it got to the post office and they told me no more booze to the US
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I usually drink Budweiser or vodka & 7s. Stay away from whiskey. That stuff will give you an ugly hangover. And don't smoke while drinking or you will have an even uglier hangover.
  7. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Active Member

The Crown royal is good and the Crown Royal Reserve is really good.
    My favorite rum is the Lemon Hart. It's dark and very smooth. It
    comes in 80 and 151 proofs.

http://www.lemonhartrum.com/
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

As for a bourbon that you can find anywhere, Knob Creek is pretty good. I've never been much for rum, but I maybe just haven't had any premium stuff.

Like you say, drinking to get drunk is a waste. I've been drunk once; I didn't mean to, and I didn't like it. When you're drinking without getting drunk, taste matters. It's still possible to find bargains, but price is really a pretty good indication of quality (more so than in many industries).

Really, though, I'm a fan of gin. Tanqueray No. 10 is excellent, but New Amsterdam is also very good and really rather cheap. Cheaper than Bombay, Tanqueray, or Beefeater, and better than any of those. I like it neat, but it's also easy to mix. Ginger ale, 7-Up, or lemonade with gin are all pretty smooth and tasty.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

DonQ rum is hard to find, but great. Kraken rum is good too
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I drink only Irish, nowadays, although I used to drink a lot of cognac. I prefer Tulamore Dew. The best I've ever had is Murphy's, but they stopped production a few years ago.

For a sipping liqueur, I like Celtic Crossing, which we can't get in Washington, any more. I, therefore, have switched back to Irish Mist.

Speaking of Irish, don't even bother with the Bushnells.

Pops
  11. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

12. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

something offbeat and diffrent? like a little sweet? try these Mr Boston Rock N Rye, a rye whiskey with rock candy and fruit, straight up sipping relaxer! like Schnapps? try this either straight or a drop or 3 in your afternoon coffee..DeKuyper Buttershots Burst. and on both of these the brand makes a huge diffrence!
  13. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Homemade Apple Pie.
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

For a Rum, Try Sailor Jerry. It's got a strong flavor with a cherry taste to it, kinda. Also, if you can get some Flor de Cana. It's a Nicaraguan rum. Pretty smooth with a pineapple flavor. These are not flavored rums, but if you are sipping them, you can kinda taste a hint of it. Sailor Jerry ought to be fairly easy to find. The other I have never seen in the US. I always bring some back with me.