Some questions.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

outdoorsman260
    (12/26/02 12:31:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Some questions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am looking at getting into reloading. I have reloaded rifle cartriges with my cousin and it was fun.

I was looking at the Lee Precision website and they have some good prices on presses. However, I don't want to buy a piece of crap that I'm gonna have problems with. I don't need all of the bells and whistles, as I am getting into this to kill spare time, as well as save money on shells.

If anyone can attest to the quality, or lack thereof, of Lee Products, it would be appriciated
    <a href="http://blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4">My webpage</a>

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/26/02 1:43:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Some questions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Love their dies, own a single-stage Lee press. Most of read of their progressives ranges from 'ok' to 'not good'
    Rich

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/27/02 9:32:51 pm)
    Outdoorsman, I have a couple Lee presses, The four hole turret and the single stage that came with the anniversary kit both are fine. I thought the scale that came in the kit was pretty cheesy and have replaced it with an RCBS 502. The powder measure is a little cheap also I think but does throw good loads. I like the turret press, I use it as a single stage and don't have to remove the other dies during load development.

outdoorsman260
    (12/27/02 10:57:50 pm)
    I was looking at the 3 hole turret press kit.

You say the scale was cheesy. Was it not accurate, or was it just an odd design
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

1badassmagnum
    (12/28/02 9:47:03 am)
    I dont have any experience with the lee equiptment,but I can tell you midway usa has the absolute lowest prices and their motto is fair and honest shipping,and they totally live up to this billing.most my orders placed in the morning show up 3 days later,at a great price.I bought the rcbs rock chucker,then added a piggyback unit.most manufacturers use the same basic die threads,so you can probably buy the dies on sale and save maybe a few extra dollars.let me know how you like the lee.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/28/02 11:25:23 am)
    Note: The Lee powder scale and powder measure equipment are on a different measurement principal than other mfg standard settings. Don't know why they insist on doin this with their stuff. I don't like it.

Their starter kit press is OK, but cheap construction. I wouldn't recomend anything above their 3 hole and 4 hole turret press, the progressive presses are a headache and don't last all that long from the many reports I've heard from others who bought that stuff.

My reason for reporting this is to make the newbie to reloading aware of what they are spending their hard earned money on is worthwhile.

Now, thats just an opinion. And opinions are like passing gas...it soon goes away.

GG

outdoorsman260
    (12/28/02 11:46:47 am)
    Thanks Agunguy.

While I don't have alot of money to spend, I don't want to get a piece of crap either.

badassmag, i was planning on ordering from Midway USA. Their website was easy to navigate, and they seemed to have what i need in one place.

Edited by: outdoorsman260 at: 12/28/02 11:48:53 am

Dave3
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/28/02 4:15:15 pm)
    Outdoorsman, I thought there scale was just to hard to get the reading and adjust and well cheezy. I bought the Lee book "Modern Reloading" and learned the basics, Then ask these guy's alot of questions (we were at brand x then). Most said they still used there single stage presses for decapping or something so your money will not be wasted. I have a progressive shotshell loader (mec9000) that I am completly comfortable with but don't feel I'm ready to load rifle rounds with one yet. I'm glad I didn't drop big dollars on a dillion right away. I say listen to what these fellas have to say and find a mentor that you can go to for questions. Good luck Happy loading.

outdoorsman260
    (12/28/02 9:54:14 pm)
    Thanks Dave.

I know 2 people that reload. Both have single stage presses. Their experience will be helpful once I get my stuff.

I was looking at the 4 hole Lee turret press. It is priced well below the others, and have not heard a bad thing about it. All the reviewers on Midway's site gave it 4 stars, and others on here say that they do work. I see that I should stay away from their progressives, and that will be advice taken.

As for scales, what do you guys reccemend? I don't feel that I need an electric scale.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/28/02 10:33:30 pm)
    I've used a RCBS 502 myself for many years.

Have wanted a digital scale for years, but the money always flows elsewhere.

Rich

1badassmagnum
    (12/29/02 7:21:23 am)
    the rock chucker kit is $229,comes with press,powder measure,scale,lube pad,case trimmer,etc.I have loaded 2000 rounds with outstanding results.comes with a lifetime warranty also.I'm getting much better with the piggyback unit,the larges cases move smoothly along,I'm getting a few hundred rounds done per hour working at a leisurely pace.

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/29/02 8:42:20 pm)
    IMO the best non progressive press on the market today is the Lyman T-Mag turret press..Six station solid iron with great leverage..You can load anything that dies are made for and must say Lee dies work just fine in it..Not cheap but not expensive either..You gets what you pays for..

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/30/02 1:10:32 am)
    Don't know from experience but that new Redding turret press is built like a brick crapper...but it ain't cheap either.

As to scales, I've used RCBS, Lyman, would have to venture any brand but Lee's scales. My old decades old Lyman scale was replaced with a new one from the factory when it finally gave up the ghost. RCBS is quality and they stand behing them too.

I presently have a Lyman and a Dillon scale, both doing fine after years of work.

The Lee 3 or 4 station hole turret press should work out just fine for a newbie in reloading. And their dies are real good for the money.

Gunguy

armedandsafe
    (12/31/02 10:33:15 am)
    I have the lyman single stage, purchased in 61, when I returned from Europe. The ohler scale purchased at the same time is still working and accurate. I have also an "O" press and the dillon 500 turret. When I was competing in handgun, a friend had a progressive, so have never had to buy one on my own. I started using the lyman 310 tong tool while I was in alaska and still have 2 of them. I use those mostly for the 32-20s and backpacking.
    Be aware, the game of reloading is addictive. If DEA ever discovers us, we're all in trouble.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

frostyduck
    (1/3/03 11:17:58 pm)
    I am far from experienced as a reloader,...but am into it far enough to know some things I wouldn't do again. FIRST...about dies....I absolutely would get ONLY LEE. Unfortunately I bought most of what I needed (dies) early on, went name brand, middle of the road price. Got my first set of Lee Deluxe model later on,....am IMPRESSED with the quality and ease of use. Wish I could trade the others in!!! Am going to buy a Lee single stage press just to go with a Dillon Progressive. If I had it to do over, I would probably go with a turret,..an am so impressed with the Lee products I have, probably a Lee turret!! Good luck, have fun