Some ragazine yawhoo

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Boris, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

A bit back I got a ragazine sent to me while I was away at work by my wife. There was some so called guru who shot a 1895 Nagant his friend owns a total of 7 shots. He became an instant Nagant revolver expert.

Went to a pumkin patch today with the kids today. When we were done we realized cider is half the price at walmart (pumpkins were cheaper at the patch though) so we went there to get cider. I was flipping through the same brand of ragazine (first time I touched that ragazine brand since the last one with the Nagant bashing) and there he was. This so called self proclaimed expert was bashing the Nagant again.

This guy is an A** clown wearing an A** hat. I believe he thinks (he cleary has no clue about the truth) that issue ammo from the Soviets was as weak as the hotshot ammo out there.

If he only knew it was made for 108 grain projectiles at 1100fps. Thats 32H&R mag performance back in the mid 1890s.

What a jackwagon.......
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Most of those magazines are full of conflicting or false information. Their true purpose is to get you to buy stuff from their advertisers, which is why ads fill more than 50% of them. Not worth the paper they're printed on.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Well, the Nagant is not the perfect revolver, but it is really a lot better than some folks (even on here) claim. It is not really significantly different from other European service revolvers of the period, though more powerful than most.

One amusing aspect of the flood of those revolvers is the number of postings from folks worried that firing the super powerful .32 S&W Long in one might blow up the gun!

Jim
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I have some Magtech 98 grain SJHP I shoot from mine. As of right now they are the most accurate load I have fired from that gun. Even more accurate than 7.62x38R. I have read that Nagant ammo is .295 diameter and the bores are .312. I have shot some of the hotshot and the rifiling marks on recovered rounds is very shallow, while the lands in the gun are deep and sharp.

32S&WL ammo is from .312-.314. From the accuracy I get from them I believe they are a bit fatter.

Anywho, These rounds are a touch more powerful than 32ACP rounds from some of these pocket size 32s. Perfect for medium game or vermin. I even got me a coyote at just under 40 yards creepin' around grandmas barn with a 85 grain XTP from a 32H&R mag case at 1167fps from the muzzle. Accurate enough to not only hit it, but plenty of power to drop it.

98 grain LRN at pretty slow speeds is my number one rabbit gitter. Very little damage and tons of fun. Works great as a vermin eliminator too with the S&WL SJHP or 32 mag HP loads.

I just found a source of real Soviet 86 grain FMJ ball ammo instock at a vendor. I have read it hits upto 1390fps. Even though it is tempting I think I will save my $$ and buy more 32S&WL that I know is accurate....
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Ah, but the cider at Walmart isn't NEARLY as good.

As has been said, the magazines are for entertainment, not information. I generally find them entertaining... but I wouldn't bet one cent on anything they write.
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Actualy the cider was bottled at the same mill, just different labels. I just drank a big glass. Nowhere near as good as the cider mill in Chalrotte MI though. Still good though. Maybe the stuff at the patch was the premium stuff lol.

FWIW I do not buy ragazines. I read them from time to time at friends homes or breeze through them on the rack for a good laugh. While I was away from home for a year and had little interweb time, my wife and family would send me gun rags. I like the gun review followed by a two full page ad after you turn the page.

Oh man, I just had a good memory of being at my Father in laws. He was watching Mr. Whitetail hunting. He emptied his rifle on a running deer. I read a deer hunting article he wrote in one of the rags I got. He wrote about how shooting at running deer was unethical and the animal deserves better treatment.......

Well, there was one rag writer I loved to read in fur fish & game. Don Zutz and his upland bird hunting articles were always a joy to read....

In honor of my Nagant, I have it on me right now. My typical around the house gun is typicaly the P32 carried in the pocket. The 32S&WL 98 grain SJHP have the same "power" as the 32ACP rounds so I figure why not. I also shoot the Nagant better DA than I do the P32. Same capacity too...

Take that Mr. Expert!!
  7. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Boris: I remember a statement made by an instructor of mine many years ago.
    Many a self proclaimed "expert" can be determined to be (1) AN "EX"...A HAS-BEEN, and (2) A "SRURT"...A DRIP UNDER PRESURE.
    My experience seems to substantiate this. JMHO Mike