Some really beautiful guns!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, Nov 17, 2009.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Went to the range today and took a Colt Match Target and a Belgium Browning Challenger.

The fun was getting home and cleaning them. I have cleaned both these gun many times before but each time I am aghast at the level of workmanship, the many machine operations that must have been required to carve out these jewels, the tight fit of all parts and pieces, and the deep highly polished blue finish. Both guns are absolutely beautiful machines. I have High Standards and mine, and those I have seen, are no match for these two beauties for fit and finish. The machining is much more intricate on these two than on the High Standards. But High Standards do shoot extremely well. I think they shoot better than these two guns but I'm no super marksman and you can not determine which is best from my targets.

It is so great to own and shoot beautiful 50 year old well made vintage guns like these. How lucky was I to buy these some 15 years ago!

LDBennett
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

LD,:D

I have a Colt woodsman match target and a Browning Nomad.:D...You are so right, they are marvels the likes of witch may never be seen again. They are, or should be some of the guns that get handed down through to the next generations, as it will take several to wear them out! You have excellent taste, by the way...:p;):D:D:D

Regards, Kirk
  3. red14

red14 New Member

Love to see a picture.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 to that

I found my Bel Browning BAR to be the same way; the craftsmanship, finish and fit of components is night and day from most factories today. I bought it used a couple of months ago and got to fire the first rounds through it on Friday; 39 rnds of 30-06 gave my shoulder a little wake up call. Was putting quarter sized groups up at 100yrs even with cross winds and bad eyes.

Quality craftsmanship is becoming rarer and rarer. It's worth the extra $$ to me to buy something that is of quality, it lasts longer and I value the effort that was put into it by the maker.
  5. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I so agree w/ you LDB!! There's a reason the older firearms are worth more than the assembly line shooters of today.... ;)

I have an old Winchester Model 61 & anyone who handles it will tell you that there's something about it that gives it a feel that my newer, cheaper rifles of today just can't touch!

That being said, I cringe every time I hear someone bragging about their Colt Woodsman's quality.... :( When I was young & DUMB, I got my hands on a Colt Challenger - ser#10,136-C, & let it go for a $125 cuz I already had a couple of newer Colt target 22's & figured it was old & not worth very much.

I've learned a LOT since then. ;)

SR
  6. LDBennett

For modern firearms that have better fit and finish, the Japanese made Brownings almost compare to the better vintage guns. Since most of the Japanese made Brownings are clones of vintage guns (levers, BAR, etc.) they have to have the fit to work correctly. But the Japanese take pride in their products and the finish on all mine are absolutely excellent.

By way of contrast, I thought I wanted another 1911. The SIG appealed to me because it was a SIG. I went to the local gun store and handled a few $1000+ 1911's including the SIG and was dismayed at the finish. Each was utilitarian compared to my Colt Series 80 Delta Elite which is no "Browning" for finish but miles ahead of anything less than a couple of thousand dollars. I didn't buy another 1911!

Perhaps today we are at the "utilitarian" stage in new guns. We seemed to only have choices that are brushed or plastic or some other ugly finish. It is rare that you can even buy a new gun that has a deep, smooth, highly polished blue job. But you can find anything you want in painted camo!

LDBennett
  7. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Hey guys is this the "Browning Challenger" that your talking about? or is it a
    totally different gun?
    [​IMG]
    Any body have any info on this one? date ...value? ser#7325u2 Thanks
  8. LDBennett

I am not that much of an expert on Browning pistols to be able to tell from the picture exactly which model you have.

Todays Browning Buckmark is a direct decedent of the first Challengers, at least functionally. The family tree starts in Belgium with the Challenger. It then moves to the USA where various versions were made (Challenger II & III). There were also Belgium variation with engraving and gold inlays. The Medalist is the same as the Challenger made in Belgium but made better for competition target shooting. Todays Buckmark is made in the USA for Browning and fit and finish wise, it does not compare to the Belgium guns.... not even close. It is also different in details in an effort to keep down the price to make it. But Buckmarks are shooters. The better target models are competitive in almost any competition they are entered in if the shooter has the right personal stuff.

My Browning Challenger is made in Belgium. The USA made guns that I have seen are in no way as nice as the Belgium guns. That goes for any Browning.... the Belgium guns are more highly finished with the Japanese versions close seconds and the USA guns utilitarian finished.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. LDBennett

Both guns look exactly like any other Belgium made Browning Challenger or Colt Match Target. Posting picture is so fiddly that I rarely if ever do it and especially don't if the subject is as common as these two guns. Both these gun are in excellent shape and a factory picture of either would replicate their appearance.

Posting pictures via email is a snap and I do that often but rarely if ever post pictures on Internet Forums. The effort is not worth it to me. Sorry.

LDBennett
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Send me some pics Lynn... I'll be glad to post them up here. :D

Crpdeth
  11. LDBennett

OK, Crpdeth has the pictures and its up to him to post them here for those of you that want to see another one of the hundreds of thousands of Colt Match Targets and the Challenger out there.

LDBennett
  12. LDBennett

Pictures:

Attached Files:

13. LDBennett

I got this site's photo attachment method mixed up with another site and it is actually easy here. So the pictures are above. Sorry about that and the delay.

Note: the highlighted areas are not the lack of bluing but just highlights from the way the pictures were taken (open shade, outside). The guns show very little to no bluing wear. They are not pristine but certainly good enough to be shot and enjoy looking at.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Some of my toys. I've better pictures somewhere.

Attached Files:

15. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Oops! Forgot what forum I'm in! Only the Anschutz at the top is a .22. The rest are all large bore rifles.
  16. red14

red14 New Member

Somebody said I was a huge bore once.;)
  17. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

@ LDB - That Colt is to die for!! :eek: I'll bet it's a sweet shooter! ;)

@ JL4C - You can't beat a Ruger for plinking! ;)

@ Diana - OMG!! :eek: I didn't know that you were a Mauser gal!! :D :D :D Those look awesome!

SR :)
  18. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

They lied, Red.
  19. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Old revolvers and Mausers... that's me! Got one more Belgian Browning Safari and a Brno not shown. The Brno needs a new stock. All of them are shooters!

How would you know, Terry?:eek::D
  20. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Those old Belgium Brownings were wonderful blends of functionality and esthetics.