1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

some req'd reading - Medal of Honor recipients

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

rayra
    (7/11/01 1:30:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    some req'd reading - Medal of Honor recipients
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.cmohs.org/

This ought to be compulsory in US History classes.

More and more, I'm liking Heinlein's idea in 'Starship Troopers' (the BOOK, not that film travesty) of a 'History & Moral Philosophy' course.

Rich

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/11/01 2:00:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: some req'd reading - Medal of Honor recipients
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some very special people in this category of Americans!!!

Xracer
    (7/11/01 3:52:22 pm)
    I posted this here several months ago.....lotta new members since then, so here goes:

Back in the '70s & '80s I had my own photography business in a small Connecticut city. I also served on the City Council. One of my fellow councilors was an older guy....a Democrat, but a real square shooter.

One day he asked me if I'd do an "In-home Family Portrait" (Special....$39.95) of him and his wife as a Christmas present for his kids and grandchildren.

I showed up at his house one evening with all my equipment and started looking for a good place to shoot. The den looked fine, so I started moving some furniture. There was one wall with a bunch of pictures, plaques, awards, etc. that would be in the background, so I started taking them down. One of the last I took down was a small framed certificate.......when I looked at it, it was an award certificate for the Medal Of Honor!

See: www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm World War II (G-L), JOHNSTON, WILLIAM J.

I'd known "Johnny" Johnston for 10 years, and he'd never even mentioned he'd been in the service.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/11/01 10:49:52 pm)
    XRacer - few of them do. I have one volunteer who was a guest of Herr Hitler for 13 months - 82nd Airborne - a tiny little man with a heart of gold - he never says anything about it but others do.

Another one was on the ship when Japan surrendered. We should remember all of those who have served - each and every one of them.

polishshooter
    (7/12/01 8:45:34 am)
    I had a cousin that got the star in Vietnam. He NEVER talked about it.

When I was 17 we visited him and his wife at Ft Stewart where he was commanding a training squadron, I got his sweet wife to show me the certificate and tell me the story.

His last tour of three he commanded a Cobra squadron, one of his was shot down, they were ordered to destroy the wreckage, and leave the bodies because NVA all around. He thought they might be still alive.

He flew back, asked for volunteers, commandeered a slick, supposedly at gunpoint, flew back in with just a co-pilot, with the rest of his squadron flying cover, recovered both bodies, and got out, but shot up.

THEN they destroyed the Cobra.

He was put in for the medal, AFTER they decided not to courtmartial him, it was downgraded to the star, you don't give the medal to guys who commandeer helicopters at gunpoint, I guess.

He was my Dad's favorite nephew, flew three tours in Nam, battlefield commission, started in slicks as a 18 year old WO (Yeah, he raised his hand when they asked for volunteers after basic), second tour Cobras, third as a CO of a Cobra Squadron, retired as a Captain when Jimmy Carter got rid of all the officers without a college degree.

Died of cancer in 97, six months before my Dad did too...
    Patina is an acquired taste.

Xracer
    (7/13/01 8:46:13 am)
    Polish.....was your cousin anywhere near "Agent Orange" country?

polishshooter
    (7/13/01 3:35:00 pm)
    Yes - He mentioned it to Dad the last time they visited, thought it may have been it.

I guess he flew out of a base or something that 'Ranch Hand" was also flown out of at times.
    Patina is an acquired taste.