Some Rescued Revolvers And question.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    As I mentioned before, I like to restore these older revolvers. These I parkerized. I know that my methods don't lend themselves to maintaining originality, and therefore collectibility. However, these 4 revolvers were only good for hanging on a wall. Now they are fully functional, and I think more desirable than they were before this. I also like to dress them up with different grips. The I.J. on top has Jay Scott pearl-like grips. The second Iver has genuine sanbar stag grips, the H&R on the bottom has genuine mother of pearl grips. The bottom H&R has a 6" barrel, and the other three have 5" barrels.
    My question concerns the top I.J. revolver. It has matching serial numbers on the bottom of the top strap, and on the left side of the grip frame. (6767)However, there is no letter prefix. The top of the barrel has the patent dates of APR.6.86FEB.15.87.MAY.10.87.AUG.26.96. which shows it to be a second model, small frame hammer manufactured in 1897,1898,1899. Can anyone tell me why there is no letter prefix on the side of the grip frame?
    Thanks in advance!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Conman

Conman Member

Looking good!!!
  3. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Hello Old Gun Guy, nice to see some more of your handgun artwork.

I have seen more than a few serial numbers on IJ safety automatic revolvers which do not fit the lists in Mr. Goforth's book. There are several reasons for this. One, is that the revolver might have been a special order weapon, with special grips, longer barrel, knuckle duster, or special finish. Special order revolvers were given special serial numbers which don't fit the usual serial number lists. The second reason for no letter prefix is factory error, or the letter was lightly punched.

As I recall, Bill Goforth was very interested in collecting various details about these revolvers like the locations of the patent dates in addition to the serial number. This was because if the serial number did not fit then the revolver could be dated by the location of the patent dates and other details.

BTW, do you ever load up black powder ammo and shoot your older brake tops?
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Apparently they started at 1 and apparently went to (probably) 99999 before rolling over to A00001, then to A99999 and B00001 and so on.

So there would be a lot of guns with no letter prefix.

Jim
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Greg,
    I don't reload and shoot these older revolvers. I am too busy fixing them up. I have a pretty good following of local folks that buy my guns and shoot them with their reloads. As for the older .22 revolvers, such as the ones in the pics, I will shoot them with .22 shorts or if they are capable of handling 22LR rounds, I'll shoot standard loads and I never shoot HV out of them.
    Old Gun Guy
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

With old guns there are all kinds of folks from the super purest to the simple shooter. I have had a few people outraged at me for chrome plating a old Winchester. If YOU like them and enjoy them that is all that counts.

They took good to me in any case. In shooting condition makes them better in my book.
  7. super66

super66 New Member

Look Great!! Nice assortment of gips, adds a rich look!! Thanks for posting look great compared to rust and peeling, will last forever, nice job!!
  8. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Thanks for the response, and the kind words.
    Old Gun Guy