Some Rifles are just bad luck!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by reynolds357, Jan 10, 2012.

1. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I bought a mod 70 win .270 WSM last week from a guy who said "it wont Zero." Gun looked new. Had a cheap piece of Chinese junk on it so I did not worry about it much. Bore looked good. My theroy is if all else goes wrong the action is worth that. For $275 I would buy it all day long. When re-mounting a new scope, I discovered his bases were not tight so I knew that was the problem. They would wiggle they were so loose. I put a VXII leupond on it that I had taken off an old Rifle I had. Started Zeroing it in and the scope went to crap. Had this happen a few times on a VXII so no biggie. Actually this particular scope has taken the trip to the repair center a couple times. Took it off and put on a Pentax I had laying around. Not one of the cheap Pentax but one of the good ones from the late 90's. Started zeroing it in and the reticle broke. Less than 10 clicks from center and the stupid reticle broke.:(
    I am trying to decide what scope in my collection should be the next victim for this rifle.:D:D
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

LMBO ! I wouldn't give up til I ran outa scopes either! Good Luck :D
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

and yeah, for $275, that's a steal !
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I thought so too. People amaze me. Put a $50 scope on a $600 rifle and then basically give the rifle away because they cant get it to zero. I will never figure that one out. I get a lot of guns like that. People at the range are raising hell about their weapon and pop off at the mouth about how cheap they would sell them and I put the money in their hands before they have a chance to change their minds.
  5. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

A friend of mine put an extra Leupold his grandfather gave him on a rifle we both had one of. He had that thing jacked up all the way over to the adjustment limits and wasnt even close. So he gave up on that rifle, deciding it wasnt worth bothering with. The next day I removed a $35 Nikko Stirling from mine and just dropped it on. Fist shot was within 1/4" of where mine had sighted in.

I would be looking at the scope mounts. Something not right there.
  6. USNative

USNative New Member

LOL, now that sounds like a good strategy right there! :D
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

hmm i wonder why? :dance:
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Occasionally I run up these kind of deals, but I never seem to have any money when they do come along. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the rifle. Keep at it, I'm sure you will a scope that will get the job done.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

try a nightforce, i seen the advertisment where this guy was beating it over a table on the actual nightforce commercial then looked through the glass and no damage then placed it back on the rifle with no problems zeroing it in or anything. The recoil from the type of caliber isnt that bad so its either your scopes or the gun just doesnt want one on it.
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The mounts are fine now. I literally just had two scopes in a row go bad. It happens from time to time. The Pentax will not move the reticle at all on the horizontal axis. You can crank it all the way both ways and the cross hairs do not move. This particular Leupold has been a nightmare from day 1. I bought it used and its about to take its third trip tot he service center.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have three niteforce scopes. Wonderful optics! Also, in my opinion, overpriced optics. They definitely have their place, but I can't justify putting one on a deer hunting rifle. My Elk rifle is a different story.:D
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

At my range you had to qualify before going out to play the 1000 yard game with the big boys...A member had a nice .50 BMG bolt gun...dont remember brand...on which he stuck a 4-12x Barska scope...:lmao:...Needless to say, he didnt shoot a qualifier...After 2nd shot, he couldnt focus it for some reason...tried a third and the objective cracked...And that, my friends, is why we make you qualify..
  13. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If I come to your range, I will be sure to bring one of my toys that are up to the challenge.:D
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Saweet buy.
  15. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I have been thinking about the range rules yall have and a couple of questions have come to mind.
    What distance do you have to qualify at?
    Do you have to qualify with every rifle you want to go the the 1k yd range with?

The reason I ask is because my 1k rifles are set up for 1k. If I had to "Qualify" with them at say 300 yards. I would have to use two targets. The one I am aiming at and the one I am hitting on. If I could use any gun that would be fine, but having to qualify with my 1k gun at a lesser range would just put my bloomers in a bunch.
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

For that price, you didnt go wrong at all...it isnt the rifle, get you good bases and a decent scope and you ought to have you a tack driver. just my opion. ;)