The Firearms Forum banner

Somebody slap me....

1K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  cointoss2 
G
#1 ·
polishshooter
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(8/30/01 9:10:56 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All Somebody slap me....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm about to pay RETAIL for an M44...

Last night I drove my wife and daughter to go shopping, and went over to Dunham's Sporting Goods to waste time and fondle their overpriced CenturyCrap "Vintage Rifles".

After BSing with the clerk, who for a change new a LITTLE about what he was selling, he mentioned they sell alot of M44s, I said I really only need a Romainian.

He says, I think I saw some Romainians in back, rummages around in the gun room, and comes out with a sealed box from Century, I'm really not that interested, given the condition of their display guns.

He opens it, and out comes the PRETTIEST blonde matching with rod M44 I've ever held in my hands!!! Even under the grease, little or no dings, finish about 100%, only thing not matching is buttplate.

The clerk even said, "Gee, we NEVER get them matching..."

$79.99....

I am AGONIZING over it, a Polish guy debating paying retail is like a Jewish guy looking at free ham...

Needless to say it's in back with my name on it, held until Monday...

What are the odds I could get a Romainian from SOG sight unseen as good as this one for $49.00????

Should I...????????
Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

Spanish Cruffler
(8/30/01 9:32:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Somebody slap me....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It may be worth it to pay the little extra for something you see and know is good - especially matching numbers and has rod.

gun runner john
V.I.P. Member
(8/30/01 4:14:27 pm)
This has to be a "no-brainer", pay the $30 for the one you've seen and is in the condition you've described! One night of drinking, and that $30 is gone. Use that night to fondle your new toy, and you've broken even.

kdubaz
(8/30/01 5:14:10 pm)
If'n you're like me, Polish -

Once my hands wrap around it, come Hell or high water, I WANT it, I WANT it! A bird in hand is worth 1 in the bush, yada, yada, and so forth! I'd fork over the extra $30 and never look back - been haunting the gun shows and cruising the local gun shops since you and that dang'd Crusty whitted my appetite for a M44, but all I can find around here are pure dee-ol' junque! And, they want around $90 - 110 for them.
Keep below the ridgeline!

LIKTOSHOOT
(8/30/01 6:17:52 pm)
Polish, I have a solution to your problem and will save you from yourself. After you pay for it, email me with the stores address and I will go pick it up.
"am not" R2

Xracer
(8/30/01 7:04:02 pm)
C'mon Polish......ya know you're gonna do it! If you don't, you're gonna be kicking yourself in the butt in a few years when these things go up to 2-300 bucks.

polishshooter
(8/30/01 8:02:51 pm)
You mean like when I passed on the $79 Russian SKSs a few years back?

I actually had the credit card in my hand, but remembered last week promising my wife (AGAIN) to never ever ever buy a gun on plastic again after I bought the Nagant revolver.

I figured even she thinks a Polish "Never ever ever" is more than 5 days...
Well, I didn't win the Powerball, so I still collect Russian Crap and variants thereof. ( And am darn happy I can!)

polishshooter
(8/30/01 8:19:05 pm)
You know, I realize you guys dropping a K on an AR or a Kimber think I'm being stupid over $80, but just to explain, with a kid in an expensive college and another a senior in High School looking at Notre Dame, $80 is a big deal...tomorrow happens to also be the "Russian M44 Daily Special" at SOG, $40 each.

I planned to order 2 to pick up, last one I got was pretty sweet, too...

SOoooo....if I really ONLY have about $80 to spend total for a little while, and the option is 2 Russians, sight unseen, for $80 no tax, no shipping (I pick up), or one Romainian (That I need, I already got 3 Russkies, but I like them best anyway, they seem to sell faster than any but the Polish) for $79.99 plus 5% tax, then does THAT show you a little more of the dilemma?

Anyway, my son is also looking at Ball State...the difference will be about $28K per year...You just KNOW I'm selling him on the "Wildest Party School in the Midwest" story I read when my wife's not listening.... If he goes there, I may even buy him a better car....(I'm not above bribery... )

I figure my daughter is in a strict Christian college, so I'm half-way safe

Bob In St Louis
(8/30/01 8:41:49 pm)
Yesterday was SOGs special on Star Model B Pistols - about $20 to $30 off regular price. I seriously thought about it, was just about ready to pick up the phone and call them, but then decided to bid on and win an Astra Model 600, Portugese Navy marked pistol. Dang - I gotta get to the gun show and sell some stuff.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
(8/30/01 9:01:08 pm)
well heck polish ,if i get to really slap you ,i will pay the difference ,{hehehe}

Chief 101
V.I.P. Member
(8/30/01 9:04:53 pm)
Well buddy, ya know what they say. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Huh?

Steve

polishshooter
(8/30/01 11:41:58 pm)
Well, I think I have it planned out, maybe I can get the two Russkies AND the Romanian...devious me...our anniversary is next month, MAYBE if I spend all my money for the Russkies tomorrow, then if I cry about it enough this weekend, SHE'LL buy it for me for a present!...and Sunday we'll be visiting our daughter in college, and I'll figure a way to detour past the store on the way home, make sure she's in a good mood, and there's enough money in the checkbook...

Boy I am so ashamed...

But then I have to come up with a present for her by then...HHhmmm...

Do you think she'd like a CZ52?

warpig883
V.I.P. Member
(8/31/01 5:02:29 am)
Hell, polish I would like the CZ for a present and I'll give you permission to buy the Romainian or anything else you want if you will buy me another car to go to the party school.

polishshooter
(8/31/01 9:08:24 am)
God I love my wife! She "gave me permission" to buy EITHER the Russians or the Romanian with "family funds" as long as I "pay her back" from collection funds as soon as possible...

Considering today the first tuition payment for the year got deducted from the checking account, I am amazed!

I wonder if I bought only ONE Russky I could still get the Romanian....HHhhhmmmm.....

Anybody want to buy some Mosin Clips so we can eat next week?

Xracer
(8/31/01 10:26:42 am)
"Son, dad needs some new guns.....how do you feel about the local community college?"

Jes' kiddin' Polish, jes' kiddin'.

Edited by: Xracer at: 8/31/01 11:28:42 am

polishshooter
(9/2/01 7:44:35 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del I got it!!! And God takes care of Drunks and Polaks...
My wife told me to get the 44 if I really needed it...(Almost came out with a MILLION snappy comebacks to THAT line, but the old boy is finally learning when to keep the mouth SHUT and leave well enough alone... )

Took her to a country festival flea market to walk around, then detoured to Muncie to pick 'er up at Dunhams.

First, the CRFFL impressed them not in the least, had to fill out the 4473, and go through NICS...fill out their in-store paperwork, read and sign their cover their ass "Guns are dangerous, please leave the free trigger lock we give you on the gun..." form, then went up to pay...guess what, Sunday their Fall hunting sale starts, all guns on sale, got it early for the sale price of $59.99!!!

It WAS the best 44 I ever bought would have been "Excellent..."

The bad news, got it home, and the stock was cracked in the toe...DAMN sure it was NOT cracked when I looked at it at the store, that's where I've seen lots of MNs crack, that and the handguard are the first place I check! I believe they dropped it after putting the trigger lock on it or when resealing the box they had torn up getting it out...while I was paying...it almost fell out of the box on me when I got it home.

No returns on firearms, either.

Anyway, it STILL is sweet, all matching except buttplate, lots of cartouches on the blonde stock, Romainian markings too, with rod, I glued the stock up last night, one side crack is invisible, other side it is visible, darn...I'm going to see if I can color thin line of glue that's showing...It's a keeper anyway, and if I ever DID sell it I'd tell about it....

I think it still was a sweet buy, now I have at least one of each except a Type 53, BUT I'm darn glad I didn't pay $79.99 for it...

BTW, their store in another town had their 44s at $99.99, and the ad said "Regularly $100" for the 44s at $59.99 sale price...

Their sale prices on other "Vintage Rifles" FYI...

M91s $49.99
Turk Mausers $59.99
M48 Yugos $119.99
Spanish FR-8s $149.99
Jungle Carbines $229.99
M95 Steyrs $79.99
Parts M1 Garand on new reciever $399.99

Most are "CenturyCrap," but I found a cherry, might be more.

They have stores in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Iowa, West Va., and a couple in other states too...

If the darn stock wasn't cracked, I'd wholeheartedly endorse them, BUT at least I got it for the sale price...

And oh yeah, I forgot, she also "let" me order another of the Russky 44s on Friday from SOG, pick it up Tuesday...Gosh, I love that lady! Actually, I think she likes this hobby, because I'm actually spending less than I did on my IPSC "career", My brief fling with Action Pistol, DCM, Service Rifle, and smallbore indoor, my "Let's refinish an old wood Lyman boat" hobby, and my NASCAR Mini-stock "career." I think she's remembering the couple or $80 tires I bought at least every couple of weeks, and threw the others away, and is thinking these cheap rifles aren't that bad! AND she doesn't have to worry if it's gonna leak or help in the pits!

Edited by: polishshooter at: 9/3/01 10:40:57 am

Zigzag2
(9/2/01 11:06:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: I got it!!! And God takes care of Drunks and Polaks...
Well dog-gone-it... looks like I'll need to take a run buy our Dunhams store here. Thanks for the heads-up

Zig

polishshooter
(9/3/01 9:52:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: I got it!!! And God takes care of Drunks and Polaks...
$5 DAP "Furniture Touch Up Kit" works wonders, have to look REAL close to see crack, looks like a scratch now...and the old Elmers Carpenter's glue will prolly hold it just fine...I'm happy again!!!!

I got them on a wall rack now, the Polish on top, the Hungarian next, the Blonde matching Russian next, the pristine Romanian last...I get chills looking at it....The whole darn display probably isn't worth $350, but I finally feel like a COLLECTOR not just a gun nut!

Now like Lasher did, I guess NOW I'm looking for upgrades...my Polish is sweet but not matching, my Hunky is merely VG, non-matching...great shooter though...maybe THAT one will be my "Scout" if I get one that's better looking...

On the other wall is my 91, 91/30s, and my "overflow" 44s...I think I'll rotate the laminated Russky with the blonde on display, even if nobody sees them but ME!!!!

But I still need a 53....to make life complete.

Bob In St Louis
(9/3/01 2:53:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: I got it!!! And God takes care of Drunks and Polaks...
Hee hee hee, chortle chortle. I know where a couple of Type 53 Chinese rifles are, and I ain't tellin. Wait a minute - you already know where they are - darn.
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.