The Firearms Forum banner

Somebody Stop Me!

9K views 73 replies 19 participants last post by  mauser655 
#1 ·
I got my C&R April. Since then I've bought a:
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Mosin Nagant M44
M1895 Nagant Revolver

And I just ordered a Steyr M95 8X56R from SOG.

Oh my aching wallet!:p

G
#3 ·
Dog, you are well and truly lost! You must join C&RAA immediately (Curio and Relics Addicts Anonymous)! Mosins lead to Mausers, and then to Enfields, and then to . . . well, you get the picture. Don't worry, there's help available . . . but alas, you aren't likely to find it here. Most of us are addicts too! :D;)

#4 ·
What's funny, is for me it was same guns, different order!

Steyr M95 8x56rh (shortly Pre-Cruffle, but I still have it and it's sister M95/34 now.:p)

Then the Cruffle.

M44s (only my first like 5 at a time, when SOG sold them 5/$175...they breed in the dark, looking at my book I've owned about 35 of them, even though I only own 6 now...)

91/30s...when they were 3/$99 I went though about a dozen of them, now haveonly four left, wish I would have bought more

Then the Nagant Revolver(s) Bought one for $49.99 shot it, got offered $125.00, sold it when they started drying up the first time, kicked myself for 6 months, new batch shows up for $69.99, bought another and found I can shoot it with .32 Long, need to buy another to "hedge" against the urge to sell it when they dry up again, then I'll still have one....:p

That's not counting of course the Odd M91, and all the FIins that have "visited" for a couple of years but since moved on, the 8 M38 carbines I went through until I found the ONE "shooter" I had to keep, a couple of Mausers that briefly came by that I grew quickly bored with;), and the couple of Enfields and the Yugo SKS (that replaced the Romanian) that stick out on my gun wall like prostitutes at church surrounded by all those Mosins....:D

Yep, PS has it right, it's an addiction. And while many may think it's my own damm fault I lament the "passing" of so many guns that I USED to own, the way I look at it is that when each one sold or traded for a lot more than I paid, it contributed to me getting to handle and shoot at least for the short term MORE of their buddies, and the best ones or most enjoyable ones get to stay, so they did not "die" in vain!:p

AND I didn't have to be wealthy to do it...

#5 ·
Dog, you are well and truly lost! You must join C&RAA immediately (Curio and Relics Addicts Anonymous)! Mosins lead to Mausers, and then to Enfields, and then to . . . well, you get the picture. Don't worry, there's help available . . . but alas, you aren't likely to find it here. Most of us are addicts too! :D;)
That is the way it goes isn't it. You buy a few Mosins and think, "hey, shooting wartime surplus is fun, I think I'll go buy a Mauser," then disappointment sets in as you try in vain to coax some kind of performance out of that mediocre action, develop a weird craving for sausage and sauerkraut and wind up down at the biergarten trying to drown your sorrows. But then joy of joys, the boys at the beer hall are all talking about how the Kaiser's troops were turned back time and again by the mighty Enfield, you buy one................. and the rest is blissful history. :eek::p:D

G
#6 ·
That is the way it goes isn't it. You buy a few Mosins and think, "hey, shooting wartime surplus is fun, I think I'll go buy a Mauser," then disappointment sets in as you try in vain to coax some kind of performance out of that mediocre action, develop a weird craving for sausage and sauerkraut and wind up down at the biergarten trying to drown your sorrows. But then joy of joys, the boys at the beer hall are all talking about how the Kaiser's troops were turned back time and again by the mighty Enfield, you buy one................. and the rest is blissful history. :eek::p:D
Bunny, I suppose you know, this means war? :D;):p

I must admit, the Enfield was a fine weapon assuming one enjoys hunting or fighting the old-fashioned way . . . you know, like Alley Oop the Caveman with a club in his hand, or Medieval knights charging each other and bashing in skulls. The Enfield makes a FINE club, you know, all that clunky extra wood and the heavy steel parts. :D Of course, as history clearly shows, the battle RIFLE was not perfected until 1898 by St. Paul Mauser when quality Germanic engineering was applied to the problem. :p:p:p

#9 ·
But of course, Bunny, not to mention a few little "popguns" manufactured by Krupp. :D And what is more, the Germans won't be knocking off to brew tea everyday at 4:00. :D;):p
Hey Polish, do you see what I`ve been dealing with while you were off doing inventories and such?

And there is nothing wrong with civilized gents knocking off the battle during tea. :D:D

G
#16 · (Edited)
The Enfield makes a FINE club, you know, all that clunky extra wood and the heavy steel parts. :D Of course, as history clearly shows, the battle RIFLE was not perfected until 1898 by St. Paul Mauser when quality Germanic engineering was applied to the problem. :p:p:p
Hey hey hey, hold on there cowboy. The SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) out shot the German Mauser time and again on the battlefields of the first and second world war. And the No.4 did quite well during the Korean war too.

At Mons at the start of WW1 the advancing Germans, who out numbered the small British contingent hugely, suffered enormous casualties and reported they were up against many machine guns, when in fact it was mainly the effect of the fast loading, 10 round magazine SMLEs, with well trained troops producing accurate and very rapid fire. Not too bad for clubs eh pistol?

The Mausers great for deer, but on a battlefield a rugged, accurate fast loading high (for then) capacity rifle in the hands of trained troops is what you really need. :)

Attachments

G
#17 ·
Hey hey hey, hold on there cowboy. The SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) out shot the German Mauser time and again on the battlefields of the first and second world war. And the No.4 did quite well during the Korean war too.
Except, of course, when the rifles stopped working at 4:00 every day. Tea time, you see. :D

At Mons at the start of WW1 the advancing Germans, who out numbered the small British contingent hugely, suffered enormous casualties and reported they were up against many machine guns, when in fact it was mainly the effect of the fast loading, 10 round magazine SMLEs, with well trained troops producing accurate and very rapid fire. Not too bad for clubs eh pistol?
Yes, that is a true story, Tranter. It is interesting to note, however, that early in the war the British command only authorized the loading of 5 rounds at a time from clips. The stated reason was that loading the full ten rounds only encouraged the Tommies to waste ammunition! :D It is also important to note that Mons was the very first battle of the war in which the BEF participated, in August 1914 as I recall. At that time, the British Army was quite small, but composed mostly of long-term career enlistees who had been extremely well-trained during peacetime. As the war progressed, the number of those highly trained soldiers steadily diminished, to be replaced by raw recruits who were simply not the marksmen their predecessors had been. Thus the firepower advantage the British had early on became less and less a factor.

The Mausers great for deer, but on a battlefield a rugged, accurate fast loading high (for then) capacity rifle in the hands of trained troops is what you really need. :)
The operative word is indeed "trained," Tranter. The Mauser was a tough and highly reliable battle rifle, and so indeed was the Enfield. The firepower advantage of the Enfield is largely negated, however, unless the troops are trained to take full advantage of it. What I never understood was why the British did not adopt the far superior American Garand in WWII when that rifle became available from the Americans.

G
#18 · (Edited)
What I never understood was why the British did not adopt the far superior American Garand in WWII when that rifle became available from the Americans.
It's true, self loading rifles were clearly the way to go. The British actually had a history of embracing advances in weaponry that went back a long time. My own view is it had something to do with the inability to commit manufacturing and material resources at that time.

Keep in mind after the fall of France Britain stood alone, the only country at war with the Nazis. The pressure on everything from manpower to materials was considerable. We did after all have a tried, tested and very serviceable rifle in the Enfield that stood up well against its main enemy, the Mauser. Also in terms of producing automatic fire we had SMGs, LMGs and HMGs that were also tried and tested.

Its an interesting subject.

#20 ·
It's true, self loading rifles were clearly the way to go. The British actually had a history of embracing advances in weaponry that went back a long time. My own view is it had something to do with the inability to commit manufacturing and material resources at that time.

Keep in mind after the fall of France Britain stood alone, the only country at war with the Nazis. The pressure on everything from manpower to materials was considerable. We did after all have a tried, tested and very serviceable rifle in the Enfield that stood up well against its main enemy, the Mauser. Also in terms of producing automatic fire we had SMGs, LMGs and HMGs that were also tried and tested.

Its an interesting subject.
Yes I support you argument here Tranter. Britian was comitted to the tried and proven SMLE. What one must bear in mind was that the semiauto infantry rifle was a yet to be proven technology at the time.

#25 · (Edited)
Well so far I have:
Mosin Nagant 91/30 round receiver
Mosin Nagant 91/30 hex receiver
Mosin Nagant M38
Mosin Nagant M44
Steyr M95
Yugo SKS
CZ52
M1895 Nagant revolver
Ya well on the way mate. The problem always is just how far ya can push the budget:eek::eek::eek: I've been offered a very nice Hammerli target pistol that I know I can't afford, but that's not gonna stop me from seeing if I can make a deal, and I'll just have to take the beating from our household administrator, (the lovely Mrs Swanshot) :cool:;):D:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.