Something a little different

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by swanshot, May 28, 2008.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Probably posted this in the wrong slot. but it is a pistol, and it is a centrfire.
    It's chambered in a self developed wildcat that is quite similar to, but a little less that the 30 Herret.
    So far I've developed loads that will give me 1.5MOA at 200mts, that 220 yds to you guys. I believe it can do better.
    The building and development of the gun is a long story, but it has been fun.
    I've still to clean it up and reblue, but all the hard work is done. And ya just gotta admit---t's different.:D

Attached Files:

2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

What a great lookin' piece, Swanny. :) :)

Do tell us the story. I, for one, would be very interested and I'm sure others would, too.

Also, great to have you back with us actively. You have been missed. :)
  3. A most interesting pistol you have there, Swanny! Are you trying to develop a round designed primarily for accuracy or velocity, or perhaps for both? Either way, it should prove most effective for popping 'roos on the hop, I should think! :D;)
  4. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Thanks marlin, I missed you guys too.

This project kicked off about four years ago when I saw and used a purpose built handgut in 30/30 that could consistantly shoot 1MOA, and thought "I just gotta have me one of those".
    The guy with the 30/30 is an expat English gunsmith and a mate named Ken Prately, so we started playing with idea's and came up with what you see. I am a great fan of the Martini action and had a couple, so we had a start.
    The barrel is a Lithgow (Australian) match grade, intended for mating to the Omark receiver to create long range rifles. The Barrel was 30" long so we built a carbine in the same calibre to use the rest of it.
    It was first chambered in 30/357. That is a 357mag necked down to 30.
    It didn't work very well. The thin cases just couldn't handle the pressure.
    It got to the stage that I carried a brass rod with me to knock out stuck cases. Not good!!!!
    We decided to rechamber to 30 Herret but couldn't get a reamer in Aus, and only by special (expensive) order from the US, so Ken decided to make it himself. A small slip on the grinder and the reamer shoulder was stuffed, (we were grinding down a 30/30 reamer). After several self pitying beers we decided we could just shorten it a little, it was a good decision, even if it was beer fueled.
    In the new chambering it worked a treat.
    All of this was an off again, on again project that took up the best part of three years and to this day I'm terrified that the lovely Mrs Swanshot might find out what it actually cost:eek:
    Obviously I have omitted a great deal od detail to avoid turning this into a book, but here a the vital statistics.
    Action: Martini cadet. modified to side leaver.
    Barrel: 1 in 14 twist 308 cal 9 inches long
    Calibre 7.62x 35R (shortened 30/30)
    weight 2 Kilo (4.4 pounds)
    Muzzle velocity to date 1950 ft/sec with 130grn Hornady.
    Trajectory at 220 yrds 14 inches.
    Best repeatable grouping to date 1.5 MOA at 220 yds.
    Note: the 220 yds is because we are metric, and 200mts is near as damit to 220 yds. Also it is the longest range I have for testing.
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Accuracy was the sole criteria for the pistol, but I also built a carbine in the same calibre and used it on a recent bush trip. Yes indeed, Roo's and goats fell over real dead.
  6. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Aw, go ahead and write the book. We'll read it. Does the action mod provide sufficient leverage to easily extract and eject?

A darn worthy project... despite the r&d costs.
  7. Tom

Tom Member

I hope the law in Australia doesn't mind, but in the US, converting a rifle action and making a handgun would land you in jail for an NFA weapon.

Love those little Martini actions.
  8. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Yo Dakota. You hit the nail right on the head there:cool: Extraction was the only real problem we encounted. I've learned that case prep is all important.

I've found that Remington brass is the best, and they MUST be anealed regualary and full length resised at every loading. We also polished every bearing surface of the action until it was like glass. This solved the problems, but if I get sloppy, then yes, I get extraction problems.
  9. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Hey Tom. Got around this one easy. The gunsmith (by law) must report (paperwork called returns) on all significant modifications done to firearms.
    He took my martini riflle and declared it usless and stripped for parts.
    He then built the pistol out of spare parts that he had in stock. Too easy:cool:
  10. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Wow that looks great, not your everday firearm project!