something other than ammo cans

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Unknown, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

anyone keep their rifle ammo in something other than the old school OD green ammo cans? my point about it is for transportation. i live in an apt and i already have a hard shelled guitar case with band stickers and a big U.S.M.C. on the lid i use to take the guns in and out. "hurhur lookit this guy, he thinks hes desperado" no i think im an intelligent person who dosent want to let everyone to know he has firearms unlike the guy below me who owns at least 3 rifles and that shotgun sock isnt fooling anyone.

my ammo cans i try to stuff in a backpack but theyre large and boxy and weigh a metric ton when half full. i knew a guy who kept his ammo in a nice tackle box. but in a bug out sit, im not carrying a large tackle box. i was thinking of getting some 1/4 inch thick, 4-5" wide bout 12" long PVC with some caps and doing it like that. cap off one end, screw cap on the other. rivet some straps on the side.

my figuring is theyre plastic so that cuts down on the weight alone, rounded so i can stuff them in a bag. and if i do it without a bag it will look like i have a guitar and...something "musical as well" when i go to the car.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if just going out to the range.. seems like a couple boxes of ammo would fit in that guitar case just fine.. :)

otherwise if trying to be clandestine.. .. um.. a trash bag stuffed with newspaper to look full with a few more ammo boxes in it?

handguns in briefcases or backpacks.

I bet a show box holds wuite a few boxes of ammo.. etc.
  3. Unknown

Unknown Former Guest

when im loading down my car, its not to "just go to the range" my friend. its a bit more than sitting in a box and shooting a target. my case holds my rifles, mags, and pistols. not much room after that. a case that can hold all that and ammo cans is called a classical bass container. combat drills take alot more than a box of shells from walmart.

im not acting like its "clandestine" i figured id get that. its a stupid idea for a container i can throw around in the back of a truck or place in my back pack and hump with me in a shtf down the road but its the best i got so far. dont think a shoe box would hold up too well.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. bisbob

bisbob New Member

For my .22LR I use old vitamin bottles. Plastic, light weight with screw tops. Ugly, but easy to pack and tote.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I use a rolling briefcase, you can stuff alot of ammo in one and the outer pockets are useful too.

Attached Files:

6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a great idea. It looks like you are carrying anything except ammo.
  7. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

Try a large pink purse with a heavy duty strap, that'll fool um:D
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

While I do have G.I. metal ammo cans, I also have a bunch of these kitty litter buckets that I intend to use if I run out of space in the cans. They are fairly sturdy and appear to be water tight.

th.jpeg
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Get with Highboy, he can tell you which one he uses:D

When I first started I bought those 100rd boxes. I've got mine in a metal can. But I only have one handgun I load for. When my collection grows, I'll probably start looking for cheaper solutions
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You guys crack me up.
  11. soundguy

you originally mentioned you needed a clandestine way to transport your stuff from your appartment to your car without your neighbors knowing you were hauling in and out gun stuff.. that's why i mentioned things like a shoe box.. etc. stuff that is not gun identifiable. to me.. that's what your first post sounded like. not a 'carry every gun and allthe ammo in the world on my back and head out of town setup.. which it now sounds like you are asking for.

soundguy
  12. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Go to your local paint store and get plain metal paint cans and lids. They keep whats indide from getting out, and will do the same to prevent whats outside from getting in, and are simple to open with a minimal of tools.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  13. soundguy

i've seen some long term survival foods packed in virgin paint cans like that.

good idea..
  14. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

You've already got the guitar case, so why not get an old amp and remove the guts. Load it with ammo and when you go in and out, your neighbors will think you are going to a jam session.
  15. soundguy

on the flip side.. if there's anybody that will rip you off.. it's a musician.. so the amp and guitar case are as likely theft items as the G&A he's trying to protect.. :)
  16. johnny ringo

johnny ringo Member

How about this? It's on wheels, can carry heavy stuff, guns can be racked, ammo stacked. Wife can fit as well!

[​IMG]
  17. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I carry ammo in backpacks and my rifles out in socks. All my neighbors have guns so I'm not to worried about carrying out rifle cases.
  18. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yeah, but now I gotta hire 2 guys to help me load the thing. I do think it would be awesome to open up a harp case and have a full armory hidden inside though.
  19. soundguy

reinds me of a couple church gig's I did.. both had big gold leaf covered harps that were heav-y!!