something to chew on a while

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

outlawraven
    (1/19/03 5:42:38 pm)
    Reply something to chew on a while
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello folks,
    i got a interesting question 4 you guys. i was browsing
    thru shotgun news and lo and behold i come upon sarco's
    ads and come upon their .45 parts stuff ok they have builders kits comes w/ everything you need to build minus
    the frame but they have the frames you can buy seperatly i was wondering what you guys knew about their parts they said the builders kit comes w/ a ''military surplus slide" so that would mean that most times if the military had it i would be a colt or remington right? now i put together the parts list of what i would need to build one and my Total came to $364.45 minus shipping. i know that you can buy a brand new charles D or a SA
    for about that but there is something about a gun that you build yourself YOUR way so what i was wondering is does anybody know what kind of quality these parts are?
    i have built several 1911's in my time but i've never really found any good quality military parts sets. thanks guys

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/19/03 11:14:14 pm)
    Re: something to chew on a while
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't think you can get a SA THAT cheap!

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 6:00:16 am)
    Re: something to chew on a while
    Maybe a beat-down used base model. You can, however, get various .45's like the Rock Island and Firestorm if that's what you want.

Whether a military parts kit will be sufficient for your needs depends on what your needs are. If you are looking for a gun that goes bang every time and puts the bullet reasonably near the target then I'd imagine you could make the milsurp kit suffice. If you are wanting a greater degree of sophistication, then prepare for a lot more work.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 11:11:31 am)
    Reply Re: something to chew on a while
    Hi outlawraven......welcome to TFF.

If you WANT to build a 1911 just for the sake of building your own gun, by the time you're finished it will probably cost you as much (if not more) than to buy a decent quality finished one.

If you're looking for a low-cost "shooter", take a look at the arsenal refurbished Argentine Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 here: www.cruffler.com/JLD.html These were built under Colt license on Colt-made machinery, and all parts interchange with any Colt M1911A1

IMO, these are the best bargain in a 1911 "shooter" that you can get.

Silver72
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 1:09:52 pm)
    Reply Economy .45
    One can pick up a like new Norinco 1911A1 .45 in the neighborhood of $300 +, or -. My current one is like new, shoots great and was $300.

outlawraven
    (1/20/03 6:13:49 pm)
    Reply dude
    dude, this is alabama guns are everywhere springfields in very very good shape go about $360 here plus tax.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 6:17:07 pm)
    Re: dude
    dude...this is Oklahoma...guns are everywhere and a SA is still more than $360. If they are that cheap...get one. Quality is far superior to Rock Island abd that stuff. Great platform from which to build.

But as has been said above...unless you just want to build, you can get good stuff for about the same $$$$...dude.

Boom-a-tic

Edited by: boomatic at: 1/20/03 6:18:44 pm

outlawraven
    (1/20/03 6:25:14 pm)
    Reply question question
    see i dont really care for all the bells and whistles all the extended safteys and slotted triggers that for some reason has become fashonable. what i want is a gun as ww2 looking as possible i already have colts repo 1911 on layaway but i dont know if i'm gonna shoot that 1 or not dr. dont you sell the colt ww2 repos? have you had any complaints besides the plastic mainspring housing that comes on them. are they good shooters?
    but the way i figure if sarco has good parts along w/ the drawer full of parts i already have i could make a good shooter out of it i built my government colt from the ground up and sometimes it shoots as good as my gold cup

outlawraven
    (1/20/03 6:28:28 pm)
    Reply clear up
    thats a SA mil spec very good condition but used for about that price there bud

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 1:19:50 pm)
    Re: clear up
    If that is so, I need to get down to 'bama and get me one, bud. Around here, a new milspec is about $460-485 and a used, unless it is really beat, is about $400-425.

Boom-a-tic

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 5:47:51 pm)
    Re: clear up
    MSRP on the 1911A1 is a whopping $1200, we can sell them for around $900. They are popular, but not enough to try to stock that SKU. Special-order item. Seems most folks that buy that model are stuffing them away - the no-frills shooters are buying Springfield Armory Mil-Spec at $499.