Sometimes you get more than you pay for. High Point 9mm Compensator. Torture test.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Remington597, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. josh

josh New Member

glad to hear you got such a good one. i have been looking at the carbines. the dealers here say they have no trouble at all with them. But i am leary because my buddy got a bad pistol. But in all honesty he hasnt bothered to send it back . Maybe he should if they have a guarantee.
    maybe Ill take a chance on that carbine.
  3. Remington597

josh:
    He should send it in , they have a lifetime warranty, and you are right, the carbine does have an excellent reputation.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Carbine, yes....Pistol, not no---but HELL NO

LTS
  5. punchie

punchie Member

Remmy
    MKS has an excellent customer service dept., very quick and responsive. They get plenty of practise though. Go ahead and stock up on extra firing pins and extractors now as these are already overdue for repacement. The lifetime warranty is outstanding but how many times do you spend $30-$40 shipping to justify a cheap gun? It took me a long time to accept polymers as an accepted material for guns. I don't think I will ever be able to accept zinc and pot metal.

I am happy for you on your purchase because you seem so pleased but I cannot accept the fact that the gun has any quality or redeeming features other than price. Boat anchor, paperweight or 'throw down' it is without peer but it just doesn't fit my needs. Sorry.
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Can't speak from experience, only subjective opinion as that is the first one I've really looked at. - I agree that price point does not always indicate quality. That said, that is one butt ugly gun. But, if it works.......
  7. Remington597

Thanks for the honesty guys, the intention is obvioulsy not as a plinker, or CCW, but rather a fun gun to have and occassionally to put a few dozen rounds through.
  8. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

I have seen them all over the place, but never shot one. They redesigned the frames a few years ago to be more ergonomic, and they do fit the hand much better now. A guy that works at a local materials company has a comapct 9mm version and has had it for about 8 years and he keeps it under the seat of his pick up. He said if it is broken into he isn't losing a high dollar pistol, he also says he shoots it very regularly with FMJ's and HP's has never ever cleaned it and has never had a malfunction. They have a nick name of " Brick with a grip " because of their weight, but now they are making them with polyner frames so that may not apply anymore. I have also heard only good things about the carbines, low cost = lots of fun. Keep us updated Remmy, and give it your own torture test.
  9. Remington597

Hydra:
    "Brick with a grip" , I like that! :) , I'll keep you guys updated.
  10. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I bought a carbine for my wife for protection against the neighbors 2 mean pit-bulls. (They chewed up our next door neighbors dog, and chased her inside...yikes)

My son adopted it.

We have put about 1000 rounds through it without any problems.

I do not like the ergonomics of it and it's a real pain in the butt to clean.

The plastic stock is really chesey and sometimes pinch. With a few more dollars invested in it, it could have been manufactured much better.

It is fairly accurate - about 4" group at 25 - 30 yards offhand.

10 round mags make reloading often.

What's the reason to buy the pistol ther than it's cheap?
    Can't use it in IDPA competition.
    Not good for self defense because of the compensator.
    Not good for CCW for same reason.

Just wondering?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'll take a 12 guage with #8 bird shot any day as a protective weapon! Bar none! :)
  12. Remington597

I am sure you can conceal the 12ga in your pants. :D
  13. toad

toad New Member

Hello, iwas going through the forum here and though iwould give my 2 cents worth.
    I have the hi point 45, the older style straight grip and i love it!! i shoot 2 times a month and have put thousands of rounds throught it with no problem! Yes it is heavy and ugly but i absolutley love it, it's just like me!! ha ha
    I bought the holster for it and i carry it for my ccw. It's just a good firearm as far as im concerned for the price.If i should run out of ammo i could always use it as a club,god nows it's heavy enough!! HA HA
    I bought the 9-rifle and its a good shooter too,cleaning is a pain but it is reliable.
    Just wanted to throw my opion into the pot. thanks Toad
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, toad.

Hope you will stay with us and post freguently.

Attached Files:

15. toad

toad New Member

Thank you