Son wants shotgun for christmas.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by ryan42, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

My boy has his eye on a .410 single shot rossie at the gunstore.They want $139.00 brand new.He has a 12 guage pump already.My question is what would be a good use for a 410?I was thinking maybe squirrel or rabbit hunting? Dont know just thought I would get some input from you guys.Thanks:)
  2. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Maybe he doesn't like the recoil of the 12 GA and wants to down size?
  3. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Na we use the 12 guages for trap and he has no problem.I was just wanting to know what you usually use a 410 for.I appreciate your reply albruam.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Wow Dad......
    Because he wants his own.
    "My question is what would be a good use for a 410?"---Dad
    Good use? ......He chose it! Good enough use as far as I can see.
    He is starting his 'personal' collection.
    Obviously, he got it somehow from you.
    Encourage it.
    Merry Christmas.....to you both.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

How old is he? And possibly is he just infatuated with the idea of a single shot .410? Price of ammo?

Not unlike all of us that get infatuacted with a gun. ;)
    Just a few ideas.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

same thing you do with a 12g, to shoot stuff!

skeet, birds, rabbits, squirrels, whatever. You can even take larger game with slugs and buckshot, I've blasted coyotes with OOO buck from the little .410.

It's not that it's less powerful per se, just less stuff going out there. Same velocities if not higher than most 12g
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have shot with Ryan's son. He can handle a 12 gauge with no problem. He must have something in mind for this 410.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Another one here who has met Ryan's son, and I can not imagine why he would want a single shot .410! As for use, well it's the same as the 12 ga., to get game on the table. However, while the .410 will do all the things a 12 ga will do, it won't do it nearly as well. I have hunted with both, and I won't even consider the .410 untill I've got meat for the table. After that it's more about being in the woods with a light weight gun, that can still get the job done, if everything goes right. At $139 he's not asking for much. Think positive, he's not asking for a $2,000 gun! :D
  9. whirley

whirley Member

Look around, there are occasionally .410"s used, besides most gun store will give 10% discount for cash, or throw in some ammo. Very few guns wear out, so look around for a good buy. I have a Savage 220 in .410 that I picked up last year for $70 cash, with a partial box of 3 inch shells thrown in. Rifled slugs in .410 are questionally effective on deer. A ss 20 gauge would be more effective and no more weight. All .410;s are full choke. Take an old ss 20, cut the barrel back to 26 inches, so no choke, and it's a very nice light grouse and rabbit gun. However the .410 is fun to shoot, and when you powder a clay target, it's very satisfying.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought my Grandson one of the Rossi matched pairs (.410/.22) a few years ago for Christmas. If it is the same one your son is looking at, the barrel is just too short for anything like squirrels or rabbits unless they are pretty close. BUT, on the other hand, if it is what he wants, then get it for him or try to lead him to something with a longer barrel.
  11. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

it is a cheap gun to shoot. they make a nice bunny gun
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I don't want a single shot anything. I have my eye on a clip fed bolt action 12 guage that needs some repairs at the moment. Just bought a little Italian .25 for my wife since she has decided to go to a shooting course.
  13. BillM

BillM Active Member

Probably wants to kick your bu tt at trap with his bunny gun.:)
  14. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Could also be the thrill of it just being a single shot. Double barrels can be pretty expensive, but there's definitely a big fun factor to sliding that latch, throwing in a shell, closing the breech, and doing that with every shot. It's good to change up shooting styles and not just have what ever is best for whatever situation.
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Look into those 410 / 22 combo