Sonic Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dpease4, Dec 27, 2011.

1. dpease4

dpease4 New Member

Would like to get a Hornady unit to clean brass and clean the slide assembly on my XDM 9 mm. I worry about putting the whole slide (firing pin corrosion) in the solution since mostly water. Any issue from anyone with experience?
  2. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

I haven't put a slide in but I did put my very dirty xdm-45 barrel in it with no problems. I don't think it would be a good idea though unless I was going to take the firing pin out and clean it. I just use a can of break cleaner.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

IMO I wouldn't do that!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its not that hard to take the XD slides all the way apart.
  5. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Got mine at Horrible Freight...$79 or there abouts...Mix up some Ballistol and water about 10 H20 to 1 Ballistol...turn the heat/ultrasonic on and throw in the parts I want cleaned...I use frequently for black powder parts and still clean the old fashioned way for the other guns...but it is quick and convenient...No oiling required after you remove the parts from the ultrasonic solution....But....Easy enough to strip an XD...Id go old fashioned cleaning with the modern guns and modern cleaning with the old fashioned guns...:D
  6. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

I have the Hornady Magnum sonic cleaner, I only use the hornady mix's for brass and gun parts ( two different ones ) the brass comes out looking better than new inside and out, i can cleane about 1500 .45 ACP rounds without having to change out the cleaning fluid when it gets black enough that i cant see the brass in there it gets changed LOL i can clean about 300 45 acp at a time i set the timer for 8 minutes and let her rip..have almost quit using tumbler for brass.

what ever i am cleaning i clean about 3-4 pounds of it at a time

i put my ar bolts in using the gun parts mixture and they look new when they come out, to test it one time i put the entire bolt in without taking it apart set timer for 8 minutes when it was done i took the bolt apart and it was clean inside too just a little wet though brass and gun parts seem to dry pretty quick since they come out steaming.

I have probably cleaned 10,000 rounds of brass with it and still have more then half a bottle of cleaner mix left.
  7. snuffy

snuffy New Member

Watch out! First post here!:eek:

I got the Horrible freight,,--(Love that one duke), US. It just plain works, for how long, I don't know. If I could predict that, I'd win the powerball.

For stained brass, or dirty for that matter, it does well. I use the Hornady solution, it too works---for brass. Capacity is limited because it has only one transducer, and limited power on that one. 40 cases is about all I put in it, then I run it for four 480 second runs, with the heat on. Best bet is to deprime them with a universal decapper, then the primer pocket ends up free of carbon as well as the inside of the case.

For gun parts, I use shooters choice aqua clean.;http://www.midwayusa.com/product/311703/shooters-choice-aqua-clean-firearm-action-cleaner-degreaser-gallon-liquid It's expensive, but mixes 1-1 to yield 2 gallons of solvent.

I HAVE just tossed the slide of my glock or SA 1911 into the cleaner. It comes out completely grease, carbon and powder fouling FREE! With the BC cleaner, it strips every bit of oil off, so you have to make sure you get oil everywhere. It would work better to remove the small parts from the slides, but as long as you get every bit of the cleaner out and dry, then re-oil, no problemo.

[​IMG]
  8. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ i got the same HF cleaner, i like it, cleans the insides of bottle neck cases...
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard snuffy! Based on what I'm reading I guess I need to move into the 21st century.:eek:
  10. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

At the local Sheriff Dept. the Range Master used Simple Green and water in the sonic cleaner for all the Deputys guns he cleaned. I dont know the mix but could find out.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

usually 25% simple green/water. 50/50 for real dirty jobs.
  12. neilkahn

neilkahn New Member

I just bought the Hornady Ultrasonic Cleaner and was not wowed with the results. I use a vibrator cleaner and there is always a residue left inside the cases from the polishing media. I figured the ultrasonic cleaner would remove the residue but it didn't happen so I'm kind of disappointed. I'm going to experiment further with it to see if I can improve the results.
  13. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

which one did you get? and what solution are you using?
    i have the magnum and use the hornady solution and have no problem even primer pockets look new
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm curious too as to what solution your using; you may just need to run it a little longer.