Sonic Cleaners...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Infidel762, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Infidel762

Infidel762 New Member

Looking at ordering a sonic cleaner and trying to determine which one I want. I liked the new Hornady 2L, but Midway won't have it until June or so according to their site. Found a comparable Lyman Turbo Sonic Cleaner Ultrasonic Case Cleaner 110 Volt. Anyone have one or know anything about it?
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have never had a bad Lyman or Hornady product. I can tell you Hornady customer service is superior. Last call I made to Lyman it was as if the phone was forwarded to someones private residence and they acted as if I woke them from a deep sleep- no more Lyman for me! Hornady guys answer in two rings and simply send new parts no questions, no charge.
  3. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

cant say enough positive about my Hornady Magnum Sonic Cleaner, Im still on my first bottle of hornady cleaner and have probably cleaned 5000 9mm
    5000 40's 10,000 .223 and several others.
  4. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I bought the harbor freight model, it has heat and many do not. It is very nice and larger than most. I did alot of research and could not find many bad posts about it. I just finished 350 9mm. I only did about 100 at a time!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
    Combine it with a 20% coupon and you are good to go!
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

RockinRiley:

In reference to the Harbor Freight model, is the cavity big enough for a hand gun?

Have you tried a handgun in it?

LDBennett
  6. bobpayne44

bobpayne44 New Member

yea the hornady has heat too but dont need it as after about the second or third round of cleanings the water is about 130 by itself.

i like the fact i can set the hornady at 99 minutes if i wanted to although very seldom does it ever go past 8 minutes and everything is sparkly.
  7. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

No, I am sorry, I really do not like to clean weapons that way, guess I am ol school army, but I will take a picture of my m&p full size when I get home if you wish. I think many will fit, unless you have a dirty harry!
  8. snuffy

snuffy New Member

My harbor freight US works just fine for case cleaning, AND gun parts cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm currently using the Hornady one-shot case cleaning concentrate for case cleaning. No fussing around about finding lemi-shine and how much detergent to put in.

For gun parts, I use aqua clean from shooters choice;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/311703/shooters-choice-aqua-clean-firearm-action-cleaner-degreaser-gallon-liquid

Placing a 1911 slide into the solution, results in all the crud and crap gone out of every crevice without complete dis-assembly. Of course the FP and it's channel as well as the extractor fit so tight that the cleaner solution won't get-er-done. Loose gun parts come out squeaky clean, NOTE if they're steel, they WILL rust real easy. The solution strips every bit of oil from every part. Re-lubing stuff is mandatory.

The measurements for the HF US cleaner are;3” D x 9-3/4” L x 5-1/2” W. 2.5 liter capacity.
  9. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Are they noisy at all? Anything like a vibratory tumbler?
  10. Infidel762

Infidel762 New Member

How sparkly? =)
  11. Infidel762

Infidel762 New Member

Normally I run from harbor freight because I hate buying cheaply made products from China...but this looks IDENTICAL to the Lyman version....

bobpayne44 - Any negatives to the magnum cleaner? What makes it worth the ~250 price tag?
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Infidel762:

Today EVERYTHING is made in China regardless that they may have American brand names on the box.

I too buy few tools from Harbor Freight but I do have a Chinese lathe that is adequate and has made many parts over the last 15 years. I have a Chinese (Harbor Freight) drill press that works great as well as a couple of bench sanders. Any power tool you buy today is almost guaranteed to be made in China, but sold by an old American company with their name on it. I just had two older air impact wrenches rebuilt for about what I could buy new ones for. The same exact model made today comes from China whereas the ones I had were made in America a couple of decades ago. The repair guy pointed out that the American made ones were superior in his experience (of course he would say that since he is a REPAIR person but I tend to agree with him).

If I wanted a sonic cleaner I would consider the Harbor Freight one but I would also consult my son who sells (among other things) expensive professional sonic cleaners. He has told me in the past that for cleaning things like guns the sonic frequency used by the sonic cleaner is super important. He has replaced the "wrong" ones for customers on many occasions. (He is trained in the hazardous waste business with a regular route where he services equipment and provides supplies to commercial businesses).

LDBennett
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

i've seen them both side by side and they are off the same moulds and all the same parts, I'm 99.99% certain the come out of the same factory. With Lyman's name on it, you probably have a little more CS to back up any problems. I'm not familiar enough with HarborFrieghts policies if something breaks to know.

You can also find the Hornady Sonic cleaner in an off brand also.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. Infidel762

Infidel762 New Member

I know it is harder and harder to avoid China... I know some things are quite good. I was actually just looking at the Hornady Magnum Cleaner and reading reviews on everything... It doesn't have much negatives besides price. Anyone use this one or heard anything about it?
  15. Bkbear

Bkbear New Member

Go to ebay and you can get a much better deal on the Hornady Mag Sonic cleaner. Some have free shipping and a quart of solution.