soon to be reloading 30-30

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunter29180, Jun 23, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

soon to be reloading 30-30. (wifes Birthday present) looking for some suggestions at what primers, brass and bullets the forum have found good for deer. I bought a box of Winchester but figure wife will have those shot up pretty quick and then be disappointed because she dont have more shell to shoot! So I need to start getting some ready!
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I've been reloading the thuty-thuty for many years now, a very easy cartridge to load for, but a couple thing to be careful with in the loading process. This is an old cartridge design that works at what is now very low pressure, meaning it has thin brass compared to more modern issued cartriges. Be careful about how much case lube yu get on the shoulders of the cases, too much and you'll get severe shoulder dents from the hydraulic pressure inside the die. Another area to watch is the trim to length measurement. This cartridge requires a good crimp into canalured bullets because of the end on end magazine loading. To get a consistant crimp the cartridge brass need to be of a consistant length, so that the crimp is the same from cartidge to cartridge. This is so magazine spring pressure and recoil do not push the bullets back into the case. As far as the components, I've had better luck with Remington brass than Winchester, the bullets I use are Remington 150 gr. Core Loct R/N and have always used CCI large rifle primers, with a load of 30.0 gr. of IMR3031. I hope this can be of some help to you.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I loaded up some 30-30 last week.. used mixed rem and win brass. sized and trimmed.. as the other poster said. uniform trim to length is critical for your crimp.. that and a cannelured bullet.. i'm using 150g soft points.. got them from midway. brand is escaping me at the moment...

PS.. if roll crimping.. use enough crimp.. but not too much. too much will wear your brass out faster.. anything past what is needed to hold the projectiles in place in a tube mag is a waste and extra wear on the cartridge.

i'm using win large rifle primers..

have fun!
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Hunter,

I have 2 dies sets for 30-30. One of them is the deluxe set, comes with a full length sizer, neck sizer, and bullet seater. I will send it to you free of charge. I never use it, I only use my steel die set. I may even have a spare case length gauge trimmer as well.

I too have used 150 gn rn bullets and IMR 3031.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

I see the generosity on this forum is second to none. Is there a pay it forward thread on the forums anywhere. I have a few things I can give away.
  6. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

thank you all for the info! John special thanks to you!! PM sent

Wife will really appreciate the dies and the trimmer! she may take a intrest in reloading her own with this!
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

150 grain Rem Core-Lokts and H-335 powder. I usually just used mixed brass and CCI primers.