sorting by headstamp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by laserdoc, Apr 1, 2013.

1. laserdoc

laserdoc New Member

How many sort head stamps from once fired brass 9mm ? If you do ,does it make a difference that you have seen
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Always for Bolt action rifle.

Always for long range target ammo in Semi-auto Rifles.

Never in Semi-auto rifle for blasting, plinking and SHTF.

Never for Semi-auto pistol.
  3. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

I keep my starline brass for 9mm and 45acp separate from others. and I keep the stuff like P.M.C and selllier & bellot other cheep stuff out of the win,rem, fed brass. whether it makes a difference or not I don't know but it makes me feel better.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Yep for rifle, Norma goes in the #1 box then Starline, Winchester, Federal, RP in that order, S&B goes in the junk box.
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Sort all brass by headstamp. I get better OAL and believe I get more consistent finished rounds.
  6. Munch

Munch Member

I do pretty much the same as above. For the pistols I sort out the Starline that I bought new, but everything else just gets lumped together.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I sort nothing! Just load them and shoot them.
  8. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

i got in the habit of sorting all my brass when i was shooting compt.. diff manf have diff case thickness,,, (can be checked by water capacity) and diff web dimensions.. for plinking will not make a diff unless you are pushing max loads,, then can cause over presures if set up in a larger internal dimension and load the same powder in a smaller case,, my good stuff i still sort ,, all the plinking stuff is usually mixed,, and hard to tell the diff..
  9. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I do not sort any of my cases except for the large and small primers in .45 ACP. 9mm, I just load and shoot.
  10. laserdoc

laserdoc New Member

As far as sorting. I'm glad I did sort. I found two Hornady makarov cases. About a dozen hornady 9mm cases. Mostly Speer,WIN and FC and one 40 SW case. Is FC federal??
    I did find some that I never have seen before

A few of these>> *-* it is a star then a dash then a star ?
    some >> R*P
    some WCC
    and some fioccri
    PMP
    Would you reload all of these or just the ones in the first paragraph
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Think of is as a *(star) the a "line", = StarLine , good stuff.
  12. laserdoc

laserdoc New Member

Hell I only got about 4 of those in my mix!! :(
  13. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

It is
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

only thing I sort brass for is to set the hornady aside.... I still use it.. I am just real carefull when I deprime it...
  15. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

something bad about Hornady brass?
  16. soundguy

for some reason they don't put their primer flash holes in the same place as everybody else.. :)

I've broke more decap pins on hornady brass than on berdan.. :)
  17. mikld

mikld Active Member

I sort all my brass by headstamp as there are some that aren't worth reloading (Amerc, sp?). There are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer and some believe better performance is gained by using a specific make brass. I sort while I'm inspecting for splits, dings, steel, etc. and just like loading all the same. But, I've read tests, more than one, where a reloader sorted all the brass by headstamp, reloaded, and fired for accuracy. He then loaded same amount of brass, with same load, with mixed headstamps and there was no appreciable (measurable) difference between the two. For my 45 ACP in my 1911 and Ruger P90, I very often just go with mixed brass and shoot my normal groups. Can't tell any difference...
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  18. kostnerave

kostnerave Member

Yep have a life and can't devote that kind of time to the reloading bench. Besides my eye sight is going and my groups are like my ass getting bigger.
  19. soundguy

my eysights unfortunately going. glasses are getting to the point where ants scatter when I walk outside :) and I can't stare at the ground too long when the sun is out or the grass might catch.

have to find the right ballance of light and focal distance when trying to read stuff or see fine stuff. half the time I find myself taking them off and then nose-ing up on something with one of them super bright cheapo 1$ led flashlights from harbor freight to see detail..

ho hum.. :)

my reload bench misses me.. i've been laying off it to conserve supplies.

gun shows have dried up ar ound here too. used to be able to drive to one somewhere in the tri county area at least 3 sundays a month. I havn't seen one for a month.. and next one is at the end of april.

I did clean up on top of a work bench and discoverd a handfull of spent 223 brass.. that was a nice discovery.. added it to my reload colelction..

i still have a couple odd bags of misc brass to sort and clean and resize.. even if I don't prime and load em.. might as well get them ready...