The Firearms Forum banner

soups & stews

4K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Woodnut 
#1 ·
it is that time of year when soups and stews taste better, at least to me.
so what are some of your favorite soups and stews
please feel free to share any of your secrets:D

#2 ·
pototoe and cheese soup! Veg beef soup with V8! chicken and veggie stew! all home made from scratch by my wife....have to get recipes from her..but I warn you she measures stuff the "old" fashioned way..a pinch of this, a dash of that, some of those, about a hand full of these...

all I know is that its good when first made of when canned and reheated 6 months later!!

#3 ·
Critter stew is my choice. Deer or moose is great. I like to start with a leg I keep the fore legs bone in for this. Drop in a pot with water and spice of your choice simmer overnight strain and put broth back in pot. Clean up meat and chop your choices of starch and veggies reduce stock if needed chuck in extras according to cook time till dine. Then about a hour before done throw a nice big load of sourdough in the oven ( everybody has a batch of sourdough starter under there sink right? ) bake till done. Let cool for a little bit break out the butter form the farm down the road cut a few slices of bread butter them well ladle a bowl of stew sit and enjoy. Ok now I am hungry!!

#4 ·
My wife just picked up two really nice like brand new soup cookbooks to add to our cookbook collection at a local flea market, $2 each list ~$25 each. Great hobby if you like to cook.....or like me EAT. :D
----------------

She's also recently made a great homemade chicken noodle soup and a chicken and dumpling soup.

You know, "start with a stock pot....."

Can't beat them!! :)

#6 · (Edited)
well.. lets see..

my wif'es is chix and dumplings.

I boil a chicken very well.. usually put a bullion cube in the boiling water.

pull the chic out and set on a plate to cool.. save the pot of water.

pull skin off and feed tothe cats and dogs.

bone out the chicken and shred it.. any grissle, veins or the odd un tasty dark meat cuts near bones goes to the cats / dogs. if there is excessive yellow oil onthe water I will scrape it off with a palstic spatula to a peper towel at the edge of the pan.

during hte boiling process I had floured the counter and mixed up a mix of all purpose and some self rising flour.. i tend to like thinner dumplings.. so usually go 90/10 on the alp/sr

i use a lil water and peper and the flour and make a doughball, then flour up the hands and pin and roll it out as thin as I can reasonably get it.. continuing to diust and as I go. i usually fold it quite a few times. makes a nice dry layered dumpling.

then i cut it into strips. some 1" and some 3"

i get the pot of stock to a rolling boil and add the dumplings in a couple at a time.. by doing this they don't stick. i let it roll/boil for about 5 minutes and then slowly add the pulled chicken in.. i let it come back to a rolling boil for another 5m and then turn down to simmer. the longer it simmers ( stir often, especially scraping the bottom ), the thicker it gets. I favor a plenty thick mix.. so i sometimes simmer 30m. if you want thicker but don't have the time, take a small measuring cup and put in a teaspon of self rising flour and cornstarch add sufficient water to make a milk like texture mix, then bring pot back to rolling boil and add that in and let boil another couple minutes then simmer. should tighten it right up.... or if you ar e the super healthy type, take a tablespoon of dry oatmea and toss intot he food processor or coffee blade type grinder and set it to puree.. do that a few times and you get oatmeal powder.

it will add a lil fiber and nutrition to your meal and tightens up about the same as corn starch.. yet adds no sugars.

I keep a bottle of powdered oatmeal in my pantry.. i use it in place of corn starch for stated reasons. ( had health issues.. had to change eating habbits )

if i make stuffed peppers.. instead of using plain white rice, i use a 70-30 mix of long grain brown rice and steel cut non instant oatmeal... the oatmeal makes a similar texture to rice int he mix.

if I make a meat loaf.. i also use oatmeal instead of bread crumbs or egg as a stiffener. I use 99% lean fround turkey or chicken and a lil worstishire and some chopped onions. plus bell peppers and red pepper

you can be enterprising and change out white bleached flours with wheat flours and do the same recipies.

other shortcuts i take int he kitchen..

if i'm making a fruit bread liek apple bread or banna bread or even pumpkin bread.. or cranberry bread or pineapple upside down cakes.. etc.. a way to get a nice enriched 'cake' is to substitute out water for another liquid type.. for instance.

if i'm making cranberry bread or pineapple upside down cake. I save the near 8oz of pineapple juice ( unsweetend is better! ) that come inthe rings or tidbits or the crush ( remember to strain crushed thru a strain cloth or paper filter! ).

i substitute that pineapple juice forthe water in the mix. makes great cran-apple, cran raisian or cran orange.. or plain cranberry bread. same onthe upside down cake.

on other preads like apple.. or any fruit bread really.. i will substitute out 75% of the water.. sometimes ALL the water.. for unsweetened apple sauce!

the applesauce adds moisture, and the fiber holds it.. makes awesome BREADS. expirement with the water to applesause mix. some recipies don't tolerate a 100% swap out. if not try it at a 50% .. and keep moving up each time .. you will know when you hit the tipping point of tast vs consistency.

i also make a great super low fat and low cal lasagna for people with dietary restrictions on fact, sugar and carbs like i have.. especially good for those of us with liver and heart problems.

start with spinache or whole wheat ( gulten free if you can find it ).. pasta.. mix the 2 if you like!

make your own sauce. it cuts out lots of sodium.. if you have heart or triglyceride issues.. salt is a big thing to watch. I start with a few( enough for your size sauce pan for your intended servings ) diced tomatoes.. ( warning.. this sauce takes a few hours to make.. ) I also add in some cut vegies to suit taste. i boil these vegies or steam thm in the micro first to speed up process. i always add in onions, celery, bell peper.. sometimes peas. dice the tomatoes.. add in t he steamed vegies, and some water.. not much.. simmer at first.. tomator will break down and make more water.. as it waters.. up t he heat.. stire occasionally and keep covered.

in a time pinch.. substitute 1 can unsalted tomatoo sauce and 1 can unsalted tomator paste for some of the diced tomatoes. can also add in stewed tomatoes to suit taste if you want. if it is too tart.. add in a pinch of baking soda.

boil noodles.. add a teaspoon of olive oil to boil water and they won't stick. oilive oil is still fat.. but you don't get all of it.. and it's better than lard :)

if you want to add meat.. i prefer 99% lean or similar turkey or chix. best is to buy it and have the deli grind it, as it is leaner than the commercially produced ground turkey by far. you can also improvise. they make vegi protien hot dogs, sausage ( gimme-lean in crumbles or tube ) and peperoni. I use the peperoni and crumbles vegi protien usually... cook that up a tad on a side burner.

buy some NON fat cottage cheese.. small or large curd.. your choice.. this repalces the ricotta.. unsalted / lo sodium is best. also pickup a pack of kraft yellow and white fat free shredded cheese.

now assemble your lasagna as normal.. sauce, meat runnigng globs of cottage chees and shredded. make a couple layers.. bake covered and uncover and add some shredded fat free at the end to toast up before removing. let stand a bit to cool and set to cut easier or enjoy hot n messy!

you can make a good quick meal with some low fat / fat free black beans, long grain brown rice with a lil steel cut non instant oatmeal in the rice, and some vegi hot dogs halved and split, or sectioned ... makes a 5 minute warm healthy meal.. beans ad rice is good and the vegi protien is good.. excelent fiber.. real low fat.. low sodium if you shopped the beans right .

ok.. yall probably tired of hearing from me and my restricted diet cooking.. ;)

let that simmer till it reaches desired consistency.. I prefer a tad chunky...

anyway..

#7 ·
My wife just picked up two really nice like brand new soup cookbooks to add to our cookbook collection at a local flea market, $2 each list ~$25 each. Great hobby if you like to cook.....or like me EAT. :D
----------------
Well I looked at these $2 flea market books, wow, look brand new.

SPLENDID SOUPS by James Peterson Nov 1993, Hardback 524 pages

Fantastic soup cookbook!
Everything you need to know and more about soups, stews, broth, consommes you name it.

How to prepare, cook, serve, store, I give it an A+.
-----------------------------

THE SOUP BIBLE by Debra Mayhew 2009, big softcover 256 pages

Terrific book for beginner or seasoned pro.

About 200+ recipes and 800 pictures, I'll give it an A.
----------------------------

Not bad for $4, great hobby for a cook, flea market and discount cookbooks.

ENJOY! ;)

#8 ·
I love a good new england claim cowder. And French onion soup if one of my favs too
Sir have you have a Maine FISH chawda???

This recipe is dependent of you and how much fish you decide to cook and how much taters you like in it. IMHO opinion haddock is the best fish for this recipe.

Get a chunk a fatback ( salted pork for those who are not in the know ) dice it into small cubes about a 1/4 cup cook till nice and crispy. Then scoop out the pieces and leave the drippings. Dice about a cup ( more if you like ) of onions I prefer small dice for this cook in fat till clear. Then dice up a couple pounds of taters I like a small dice but some like bigger chunks. Put taters into the pat dripping and cook for around 10 min not to fry just to get a light crust on them. Then add ( choice here ) I use home made chicken stock but you can use just water though the stock makes the end result much richer. Fill to just above the taters cook till taters are done. Now chunk up your fish ( as I said I prefer haddock for this but you can use ANY fish you like or combination of fishes) and add the amount you like to the pot I like not to big of chunks but a good ratio of fish to taters. Then as the liquid should now be at the lever of the taters or below you add the heavy cream ( yea you can use milk or half and half but trust me it is not as good ) to cover the fish plus a little extra cook till fish is cooked and serve. Do not forget to add a bit of the cooked pork pieces into each bowl.

I have been making this for all my life as it come from my grandmother who got it form a friend when she first moved here way back when. This is a RICH heavy meal for the working man or simply a delicacy that is always a hit at a dinner.

You can serve with oyster crackers ( if you can get them where you are) if you like. I much prefer a boule of home made sourdough myself.

#9 · (Edited)
Here's one that has become a big hit with everyone that's had it. It's called Posole, a mexican chicken soup and it couldn't be easier to make. The size of the cans depends on how much you want to make.

2 39oz. cans of low sodium chicken stock
2 25oz. cans of green enchilada sauce
1 1 gallon can of hominy
1 whole chicken
Cilantro, diced onion and oregano for garnish

Add the stock, enchilada sauce and hominy to the pot let simmer for about 45 minutes till the hominy softens to the tenderness you like then add shredded chicken, we get the precooked from the store that way there's less to do and it comes together really fast. Garnish with the cilantro, onion and oregano. Ours will last a couple of days if it's just the wife and kids and I and like all good soups it tastes better the next day. If you want to spice it up a bit add a little red pepper flake.

#13 ·
I don't think there's a soup listed so far that I wouldn't jump on! I love me some good clam chowder, red, or white! What we eat most here is a soup the wife makes from Camble's Soup, it's a mixture of vegetable beef, beef soup, vegetable soup, stewed tomatoes, etc. All mixed together. It's really good! Another one we do a lot is Biker's stew. Simple to make, equal amounts of Wolf Brand Chili, mixed with Dinty Moore Beef Stew. This one's also good over rice.

#14 ·
Biker's stew. Simple to make, equal amounts of Wolf Brand Chili, mixed with Dinty Moore Beef Stew. This one's also good over rice.
I'm going to try that.

#15 · (Edited)
If you like chili, you will love this one! I've been making it for about 10 years. Started out as something easy to fix while motorcyling around, and camping out. And don't forget the hot sause!

#17 ·
Before eating a meat stew you must awaken it.:)

5 Habaneros
3 med tomatos
1 med onion chopped
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
4 cloves of garlic mashed
black pepper your call
8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano

pulse in blender with or without seeds depending on your level of fear. It should be smooth. Pour on meat stew or eggs.

#18 ·
Before eating a meat stew you must awaken it.:)

5 Habaneros
3 med tomatos
1 med onion chopped
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
4 cloves of garlic mashed
black pepper your call
8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano

pulse in blender with or without seeds depending on your level of fear. It should be smooth. Pour on meat stew or eggs.
Cayenne pepper would be better then black pepper IMO. That would be a good soup.

#19 ·
Sir have you have a Maine FISH chawda???

This recipe is dependent of you and how much fish you decide to cook and how much taters you like in it. IMHO opinion haddock is the best fish for this recipe.

Get a chunk a fatback ( salted pork for those who are not in the know ) dice it into small cubes about a 1/4 cup cook till nice and crispy. Then scoop out the pieces and leave the drippings. Dice about a cup ( more if you like ) of onions I prefer small dice for this cook in fat till clear. Then dice up a couple pounds of taters I like a small dice but some like bigger chunks. Put taters into the pat dripping and cook for around 10 min not to fry just to get a light crust on them. Then add ( choice here ) I use home made chicken stock but you can use just water though the stock makes the end result much richer. Fill to just above the taters cook till taters are done. Now chunk up your fish ( as I said I prefer haddock for this but you can use ANY fish you like or combination of fishes) and add the amount you like to the pot I like not to big of chunks but a good ratio of fish to taters. Then as the liquid should now be at the lever of the taters or below you add the heavy cream ( yea you can use milk or half and half but trust me it is not as good ) to cover the fish plus a little extra cook till fish is cooked and serve. Do not forget to add a bit of the cooked pork pieces into each bowl.

I have been making this for all my life as it come from my grandmother who got it form a friend when she first moved here way back when. This is a RICH heavy meal for the working man or simply a delicacy that is always a hit at a dinner.

You can serve with oyster crackers ( if you can get them where you are) if you like. I much prefer a boule of home made sourdough myself.
I am going to make this for sure! Sourdough and all

#20 ·
I like to make a beef stew or venison chili and put it in a bread bowl. Then cover it with cheese.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.