The Firearms Forum banner

South American 1911 Types

Tags
5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  superbc1911 
#1 ·
I read long ago in a gun magazine that some of the South American manufactured 1911 type pistols were made from the steel salvaged from the German battleship that was scuttled in Montevideo harbor. Supposedly this steel was superior to other alloys. Anyone know if the story is true, and which brand this referred to?

#2 ·
After a brief search, this is what I came up with. Theres more but they all say nay.

Ballester-Molina
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 7+1 or 8+1
Approximate Price: $200-$200+
The Ballester-Molina was developed as a military and police service pistol in Argentina in the late 1930s. The pistols were made between 1938 and 1953. Contrary to the false rumors that they were made using steel salvaged from sunken German warships, these Argentinean weapons are of quite high quality. They are a rough copy of the Colt 1911 - the main changes involved the removal of the grip safety and some changes to the trigger mechanism. As a result, only the barrels and magazines are interchangeable with 1911 pistols.

#3 · (Edited)
Could you be referring to the Argentine 45's?? Colt contracted with the
government of Argentina in 1927 to make Colt 45 auto's for the Argentine military, in Argentina. I bought one as mil surplus and it's a great gun. Since it was made by Colt, to Colt specs, all parts are interchangeable with any U.S. manufactuered 1911. Some say, due to the German enfluence in Argentina, most parts of my Argentine 45 are serialized. It's a beautiful pistol at what was a bargain price over 1911's on the market that were made in the U.S.

P.S. That German battleship that you were referring to was the "Pocket Battleship" Graf Spee that was schuttled in I believe 1940.

#4 ·
colt systema modelo 1927 made with colt dies and jigs to colt specs' starting in 1943 or 1948 depending on what book you read. prior to that argentina bought 10,000 from colt and issued them , then began importing parts and assembled them in argentina. then started making them themselves using the colt machineing...

#5 ·
This is one South American country I truly would trust in the arms field. The old 1911 Argentinian fabrication stories are all out there. One thing certain is that they had a huge German population pre and post WWII. This did influence their gunsmithing to fabricate above and beyond armament. They needed reliability. If by today's standards of air travel they are "Way-out-there" imagine 70 years ago!
Good guns any way you look at it. Also Colt has alot to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.