South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson yells 'You lie!' to the president

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by DebS, Sep 10, 2009.

1. DebS

DebS New Member

Source

On the House floor where President Obama spoke just a half-day earlier, two words shouted by a Republican congressman reverberated louder than the finer points of the health care debate.

House Democrats seized on House rules Thursday to demand South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson offer a high-profile apology to President Obama for shouting, "You lie," during the president's health care address.

Wilson called the White House shortly after Obama's speech to say he was out of line. The White House said early Thursday that the president accepted the apology.

But that did not put the issue to rest, and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, also of South Carolina, asked Wilson to apologize on the House floor in front of his colleagues. The final vote of the day was held open by Democrats to give him an opportunity to do so, but he refused.

Democrats threatened to censure Wilson absent such an apology. So far they have not done it -- but even though House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said earlier that a censure was not being considered, her top deputies kept it in the mix.

House leaders debated future disciplinary steps against Wilson at a weekly closed-door strategy session in Pelosi's office Thursday.

"I want Mr. Wilson to come to the floor of the House and apologize," said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. He indicated that House leaders did not reach a conclusion on sanctioning Wilson.

"We need to figure out what to do," said one senior member of the leadership team. Another high-level House source suggested that lawmakers didn't want to let Wilson's transgression go unpunished "because of the magnitude" of the accusation directed at Obama.

In strictly political terms, Wilson's outburst appeared to be a winner for Democrats.

According to one Democratic source, Wilson's Democratic opponent Rob Miller had by mid-day Thursday received 5,000 new contributions worth about $200,000 in the aftermath of the outburst. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee was also trying to raise money off the heckling. Miller lost to Wilson in the 2008 election, 54-46 percent

Wilson's House Web site crashed after he was identified Wednesday night as the heckler and he took a beating on his Twitter page for breaching protocol. House rules expressly prohibit lawmakers from calling the president a "liar" or accusing him of "lying."

But Wilson has tried to put the genie back in the bottle after he drew immediate, widespread and bipartisan criticism Wednesday. Shortly after the speech ended, Wilson issued a written apology and spoke with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel to say he was sorry.

Obama on Thursday extended his forgiveness.

"I'm a big believer that we all make mistakes. He apologized quickly and without equivocation, and I'm appreciative of that," Obama told reporters.

In the face of persistent criticism, Republicans started to come to Wilson's defense.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham told FOX News that Wilson should not be judged on those two words.

"He corrected his mistake. His mouth spoke before his mind," said Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., chief deputy whip.

Wilson's outburst immediately followed Obama's statement: "There are also those who claim that our reform effort will insure illegal immigrants. This, too, is false. The reforms I'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally."

House Minority Leader John Boehner said Thursday that, according to a Congressional Research Service report, illegal immigrants would indeed be covered, defending Wilson's assertion even though he called the manner in which he delivered it "inappropriate."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs insisted Thursday that illegal immigrants would be prohibited from buying into a health insurance exchange created by the federal government.

Wilson said Thursday he wants to have a "civil discussion" on health care, calling his comments "spontaneous."

Democrats are walking a fine line in deciding whether to pursue a censure. While some Democrats want to punish Wilson, others are worried the action could distract from the health care reform effort.

Obama hinted at that view when asked about Wilson Thursday.

"I do think that, as I said last night, we have to get to the point where we can have a conversation about big, important issues that matter to the American people, without vitriol, without name-calling," he said. "The media can always be helpful by not giving all the attention to the loudest or shrillest voices and try to stay a little bit more focused on the issues at hand."

Joe's site is down due to the server crashing When is it back up, please contact Joe and tell him you understand his frustration completely and he rocks, regardless please.
  2. obxned

obxned New Member

No apology was needed - what he said is true! Provisions in the health care takeover bill that woud have kept illegals from enrolling were removed by the Damocrates.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

He should go to the floor to apologize only after Reid, who said the same thing about Bush and the Democrats who booed Bush during his National address do so, first. :mad:

What a bunch of hypocritical hog wash. :rolleyes: :mad:

As Obxned said before me, Joe Wilson was only stating fact.

Art
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. dazed&confused

dazed&confused New Member

Joe Wilson for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

Welcome to TFF dazed. ;) :)

Art
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm proud of Joe. Personally, I think he should be given a commendation for exhibiting more honest feelings than any of the planted idiots at the Obama town halls. :D

This was all over the local news today. In fact, one coworker who is generally 'Republican-leaning' called him an idiot. I said, "how was he an idiot when he told the truth?" and then I told why. The 'president' has been spouting that there are 45 million uninsured 'Americans' yet 9.6 million illegals make up that number. How the hell do you claim that illegals won't be covered when 9.6 million of them are included in the figure regularly spouted by 'the president'?... :mad:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The "fair and impartial" media is already spouting "Joe lied!":rolleyes: The MSM just can't give up their blatant lying for The Hussein. They will keep on liying for him and proping him up while he continues to run this country down the toilet:mad:
  8. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

Joe was disrespectful, He should have said,"Mr President, You are a Liar."
  9. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

And thus is born a new bumper sticker! :D

Attached Files:

10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would like one in a t-shirt.
  11. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Joe only represents the people of SC, Thats why he is is a Representative.
    He owes Polsichit and the rest of the House nothing.
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ditto!!!!...and welcome to the forum!!!!! :D

mike
    gn
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D;)

mike
    gn
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

hahahaaa....

Indeed Joey!

Welcome to the house/mad/sani......
  15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

AMEN! That is a hot local topic now and I'll tell you honestly, people are right on the lines that you're thinking. Joe doesn't work for 'Peloschit' and shouldn't report to her for anything. In fact, he has raised over $200,000 in campaign contributions since his remark was made. Give 'em Hell Joe! :D
  16. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Funy how Harry Reid and the DEMs said it for years about Bush, and no one said a thing. They still refuse to say sorry
  17. artabr

artabr New Member

I want one. ;) :D

Art
  18. obxned

obxned New Member

It may have been bad manners to yell at Barry during his infomercial, but at least Joe Wilson speaks the truth.
  19. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Welcome to TFF to the new guys. I like the way you think. I want the bumper sticker. I had been hollering at the TV for about 10 min "You are lying" when I heard this lone voice crying in the Wilderness of Sin, aka the US Congress, "You Lie". Go getem Joe. Drudge reports that Joes' campaign has picked up $750,000 in 48 hrs. Edit: Sun. morning, the Politico reported Joe is up to $1 million in 48 hours. The average is about $50. Soros does not appear to be one of the contributors.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  20. DebS

DebS New Member

That is FANTASTIC!! OMG, you made soda shoot outta my nose. That is UNREAL.
    :eek: