South Texas public land hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Metalman2004, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 New Member

I live in Houston and am seriously considering deer hunting public land. I have looked at the gov't websites, but haven't found a ton of info on it all. I saw the basic information on permit prices and such, but not much more. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I got to thinking about it a little late this year, and don't want to go out there unprepared, so I will wait until next year.

Had anyone hunted Sam Houston Nat'l Forest? Any details anyone can give me are much appreciated!
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I thought Texas Parks and Wildlife site had extensive info and maps of the available state hunting lands.
  3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

4. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 New Member

I guess it helps if I read everything. At the top it says that you have to buy the permit to get the info booklet. If I continue further down the page it gives you a pdf of the booklet. So it is my undetstanding that for deer, you must buy the annual public permit or daily permit AND fill the forms out to be put in the draw. Then every hunt is determined randomly by computer. Is that correct?
  5. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Good deer in South Texas