Southern Molasses Oatmeal Bread

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by dianalv, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Easy, healthy and delicious! A great breakfast, dinner or sandwich bread.

Ingredients:
    2 cups of boiling milk
    1 cup of steel cut Irish oats
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 egg
    1/2 cup of dark molasses, slightly warmed
    4 tablespoons of grape seed, almond or walnut oil
    2 cups of oat bran flour
    3-3 1/2 cups of bread flour
    2 packets of yeast
    1/2 cup of warm water
    2 teaspoons of raw or brown sugar

Method:
    1. Add oatmeal to hot milk and let stand for two hours.
    2. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
    3. Mix yeast and other ingredients with oatmeal, starting with wet ingredients first. Knead until smooth and elastic. I do this in a Kitchen Aid with the bread hook, adding the oat bran flour and the first 2 cups of bread flour first and working in the rest gradually.
    4. Form into 3 to 4 elongated loaves and place on very lightly greased cookie sheet, or on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Alternatively, you can form into two large loaves and place in loaf pans.
    5. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about an hour).
    6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 45 minutes, depending on size of loaves and individual ovens.

Notes: The original recipe calls for shortening. I substitute the nut oils for a healthier and more flavorful bread. I also knead the bread, but according to the original recipe, that isn't necessary. To make the bread pretty, you can brush the loaves with a milk wash (1 T of milk and 1 T of water) and then sprinkle oats over the top.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

That sounds fantastic! I will try it when I bake next time. Good idea on the nut oil too, I bet it makes a difference in taste. ;)
  3. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Actually the original recipe calls for all white flour too, but I use oat bran flour and bread flour instead. The almond oil is my favorite. I use sorghum molasses when I can get it.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Sounds really good... Thanks!

Crpdeth
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Man, that does sound good!
    I'll have to give it a shot if and ever I get back in the baking mood. (which is very seldom) :eek:
  6. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

Thats now on my list, thanks!
  7. big steve

big steve New Member

wow that does sound good