Spanish Mauser in 308

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by lead, Jun 2, 2004.

1. lead

lead Active Member

I found a Spanish Mauser carbine in a local shop over the weekend. It seems like I have heard that some of these are unreliable, or weak, and I don't want to buy a bad gun. This one was import marked on the barrel that it was Spanish and 308cal. It had a turn down bolt, matching numbers on the bolt, barrel, and floor plate. The bore was good, dirty but not worn out. What do you guys know about them? Anything I should look out for, or beware of? Any of you own one? I'd like to have a cheap gun to shoot milsurp and hunting ammo. Would this be a good one? Thanks.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The general "rule-of-thumb" seems to be that these Spanish Mauser .308 conversions are safe with 7.62 NATO (Military Surplus.....46,000 psi chamber pressure) ammo, but marginal with Commercial .308 Winchester (50,000+ psi chamber pressure) hunting ammo.

Here's an excellent article on this:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/spanishinquisition/index.asp

Bottom line:

"Keep in mind that old rifles should be thoroughly inspected before shooting, and that each rifle is unique as to what loads it will handle. Having said that, have fun shooting your FR7 or FR8. Remember, 7.62 NATO ammo is the correct ammunition these rifles were designed to use, not the higher pressured .308 Winchester."
  3. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

My father has one, and it is quite accurate. However, he does shoot light reloads in it. It was originally meant to shoot 7.62 Cemte. With his light re-loads, I estimate the power as being in between a 300 Savage and a 308.

They really are nice guns, and worth the money, if you are a re-loader. Though it will fire 308's, I wouldn't reccommend a regular diet of them.

MM454