Spanish Mauser questions

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

the real fredneck
    (6/6/01 8:53:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Spanish Mauser questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep seeing these FR-8 Spanish mausers in 308 for sale, are they arsenal reworks? were they originally 7x57? are they any good or worth the money? and are they safe?

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/6/01 7:13:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Spanish Mauser questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I remember correctly, the FR-8 is actually designed as a 308 - kinda one of the last bolt actions before semiautos became the norm. The ones I have examined have been decent guns, well built. I never have fired one though.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

TYRVR
    (6/6/01 8:10:59 pm)
    I was told the FR-8 was A training rifle for recruits in Spain, they were converted to 7.62 and had new short Bbl.s fitted and the G 3 sights and bayonet lug, and sling added,as the G-3 was the issue rifle, dont know if this true or not, but makes sense I suppose, also, many of the FR-8s are built on German made contract 98 actions, and are nice shooters, I have built several nice sporters on this action, and that ugly rear sight is only soldered on, and easily removed for D&T for scope mounts,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

the real fredneck
    (6/6/01 8:46:40 pm)
    Thanks guys for the info, currently on GB there are 4 for sale item 1441359 is listed as a small ring and has regular rear sights rather than peep, has a hooded front and no flash supressor this was the one I was interested in. If they are built on a 98 action they can't be small ring so is someone other than me confused or is this rifle some kind of frankenstein?

TYRVR
    (6/7/01 4:42:33 am)
    They built the FR-8 on both the 95 and 98 actions, I hve only seen Spanish produced actions on the 95 variant and those I have seen were less than great, mixed parts and sloppy worn actions,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

polishshooter
    (6/7/01 9:45:10 pm)
    ...and I don't think they are CR either.

That I can understand, but why aren't those M1916s converted to .308?

You'd think they'd be CR, I always wanted one for some reason...

Bob In St Louis
    (6/11/01 9:36:41 pm)
    OK - Century International Arms says they are built on old Mauser actions, and they were designed as trainer rifles for the CETME. Century also lists them as C&R.

polishshooter
    (6/11/01 10:05:01 pm)
    How much are they at Century, Bob?

Bob In St Louis
    (6/12/01 8:29:35 pm)
    I think I left that flyer at work, but I believe they were like $139. Probably have them listed on their web site.

jdchase
    (6/22/01 9:23:30 am)
    The FR-7 and FR-8 rifles are indeed C&R eligible... the actions are pre-1947 and the rifle is still in original military configuration, thus... C&R. I don't make the rules, I just interpret them... WARNING... while the FR-8, large ring, 98 action, is a reliable and accurate shooter, I would reccomend that you stay away from the small ring FR-7 as there has been much controversy over the safety and reliability of small ring mausers firing .308 or 7.62x51 NATO. My understanding is that the FR-7's and 8's were used as an interim rifle used until the CETME became more available. While advertised by Century and others that it was a "Special Forces" arm, I have been unable to confirm this. In any case I have an FR-8 and love it, it is my favorite Mauser.

the real fredneck
    (6/22/01 5:45:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Update
    I won, I won
    Finally won my first auction on GB, for a FR-8 haven't gotten it yet but looking forward to it bad thing is had to paint the kitchen and other domestic drudgries as a result of winning, you guys know the drill,". . .before you get another gun when is the ______________ (fill in w/choice) going to get done?" yes dear, yes dear, three bags full

Bob In St Louis
    (6/22/01 6:53:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Update
    Hope it is everything you are anticipating!

the real fredneck
    (6/30/01 9:27:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Got burned maybe?
    Got the FR-8 Wednesday afternoon. I can't really say it wasn't as described but some areas were debatable. "Perfect mechanical condition" yes, the bolt opens, closes, saftey works and it will fire. no, the rear sight was missing the detent ball and spring so the innovative rear sight spun like the latch on an outhouse door, fortunately it was an easy fix the spring from a disposable lighter is the same diameter cut to length and the detent ball can me made out a #12 fishing swivel. The bolt and receiver numbers match. The receiver has FABRICA DE ARMAS LACORUNA 1949 on it and CAI ST ALB VT stamped on the barrel near the muzzle. The action reminds me of this girl I knew in school Sloppy and her sister Loosey but when closed nothing rattles other than the safety when it's off. Did they take old recievers and grind/hammer the old stamps off and restamp them? also read that the FR-8 program didn't start until 1956. The stock was not cracked and that was the best thing you could say about it. I think it was the training rifle on the "how to throw down your rifle range" After complete disassembly, and the removal of several handfuls of sand, was examining the "excellent" bluing and I did find some under the handguard also some unlovely orange PITina along the stock line and magazine. After a thorough scrubbing and lots of 80 grit on the stock it's presentable enough. The bore would have to be it's best virtue and being 308 ammo isn't a problem. Ran 20 rounds of cheapass surplus FMJ through it no sign of problems going to play with it some more this weekend. Is this typical condition for these or did I just get lucky?

kdubaz
    (6/30/01 12:00:24 pm)
    Fred -

That's one of the more descriptive essays of the receipt of a surplus firearms I've seen for a while - had lots of chuckles while reading it!

Sounds like something I would get when responding to one of those hot deals on the auction sites.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Bob In St Louis
    (6/30/01 12:45:35 pm)
    Sounds like a typical surplus rifle - it is a bit distressing when folks say things are in better condition than they actually are. The missing parts on the site is the most disturbing thing to me. I know different folks concepts of condition rating vary all over the place, but "mechanically complete" is just that! The rifle was definately not complete.

polishshooter
    (6/30/01 5:08:41 pm)
    Yeah, I would leave less than glowing feedback for description.

If he would have said it like it was, you may have got it for less. But before you do, check the box and packing. Any chance the spring and detent fell off in the box from handling?

The one I saw at Dunhams from Century was complete, but was a "Cosmo Queen," and the handguard was blonde while the rest of the rifle was an ugly dark greenish wood.

Bob In St Louis
    (6/30/01 8:08:22 pm)
    I don't know what kind of stock wood they used, but I have noticed a lot of the Spanish Mausers have a gray-green color to the wood.

the real fredneck
    (6/30/01 9:19:31 pm)
    Well I can't complain did get it for a good price the FFL had already unpacked it so maybe the spring was in the box, the stock is not too bad looking now after sanding the wood kinda looks like pecan picked up a box of super-x's and will see how it groups it's gonna take a while to get used to that 2 stage trigger though