Speaking of Bullet Pulling...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

MarkReloaderGuy
    (3/4/02 7:20:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Speaking of Bullet Pulling...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have any experience using the FORSTER Fast Bullet Puller? It looks like it just screws into the turret in place of a 7/8X14 die and uses the power of the press to extract the bullet tip.

What about the collet type bullet pullers that fit into the press and unscrew to pull the bullet from the case. Are they better/worse?

Also, a general question about pulling (I'm just full of questions tonite): once you pull the bullet can you simply adjust the powder and reset the same bullet back in without doing anything else, or do you have to resize the neck of the case first?

I'm trying to decide if I want one or the other and if so if I should get a neck sizing die too while I'm at it (if I'm going to need to resize, that is).

(I'm trying to get away from that silly hammer puller I'm currently using)

Thanks

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/02 11:57:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Speaking of Bullet Pulling...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't throw your kenetic puller away, just yet!

I've got the RCBS bullet puller with assorted collets to pull just about any bullet diameter. There are times, however, when I go ahead and grab the kenetic hammer and thump away, especially if only needing to correct a single goof, or two.

Yes, you really should resize the necks after pulling the bullets, as you won't get a proper friction fit on the newly seated bullet. I yank the bullets, dump the individual powder loads into individual camera film cannisters (carefully putting the tops back on them!), resize the necks, replace the powder and reseat the bullets.

The collet type pullers will usually scar up the bullets somewhat, while the kenetic puller won't.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/5/02 8:51:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Speaking of Bullet Pulling...
    What Kdub says.

MarkReloaderGuy
    (3/5/02 6:45:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Oh Boy... NEW EQUIPMENT
    Cool! Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep the hammer.

and... I'm going shoppin' (time for a neck sizing die). I have a conversion kit for my Lee 3-hole turret press to turn it into a 4-holer on it's way. Should arrive any day now. I'll stick a neck sizer in that 4th hole. (It's almost as fun buying this stuff as it is using it.. and almost as fun using it as shooting... almost).

I just knew I'd find a use for those film cannisters someday. Thanks for the tip!

Mark

Red Dwarf
    (3/27/02 1:43:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Oh Boy... NEW EQUIPMENT
    I love my kinetic puller.

It has pulled everything from .32 Short to .358 Mag to 7mm Mauser, 30-06, 38-40, you name it. Never fails...

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/27/02 7:24:28 am)
    I've had the same experience as Kdub01, he's right. There's times you really need the handle banger. Especially with some lead bullets that are crimped pretty tight.

Also, did you know you can use regular loading press shell holders in the Kenetic bullet pullers...try it and see.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 3/27/02 7:26:38 am

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 9:54:56 am)
    If you use a regular shell holder then wouldn't you have to remove the screw on part for every case you pull the bullet from?
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 3/27/02 8:47:31 pm

Hangfire
    (3/27/02 3:38:00 pm)
    That's good info, Jeeper. I'll try it with the shell holder next time.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 9:04:16 pm)
    I looked back at what I wrote and it isn't clear to me and therefore open to misinterpretation.
    What I was trying to say is that if you use a standard shellholder you will have to romove the screw on cap for each case you pull the bullet from.
    I prefer to use the case holder that case with the puller. that way I don't have to remove the screwoff cap. I just loosen it a turn or so and tap and the case, bullet, and powder all falls out into a can for later seperation.
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 9:07:07 pm)
    I just knew I'd find a use for those film cannisters someday. Thanks for the tip

Probabally make nice firecrackers!

Shutup Donny......

okay

~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 3/27/02 9:09:28 pm

Red Dwarf
    (3/27/02 9:58:16 pm)
    The lids won't stay on to build enough pressure

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 11:51:07 pm)
    Donny Henry, If you want some really powerful "firecrackers" than what you want are called rope salutes from

www.allpurposeammo.com

they cost $99.99 for a box of 72 plus haz-mat and shipping.
    They are rather impressive.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 3/27/02 11:54:00 pm

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/31/02 9:58:01 am)

Quote:
    The lids won't stay on to build enough pressure

Tylenol bottles?

Quote:
    Donny Henry, If you want some really powerful "firecrackers" than what you want are called rope salutes from www.allpurposeammo.com

Thanks bro.
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/31/02 10:17:57 am)
    jeeper 1, sorry to be so late getting back to the using shell holders for the Kenetic bullet puller.

Yes, you do have to unscrew the cap between each extraction, but the shell holder is a better fit on the cartridge case and a lot less trouble to extract than the kenetic puller's odd cartridge band spring thingy.

Gunguy