Speaking of snakes...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

We've had our fair share of discussions concerning them here of late, but I have a question for those of you that are in the know...

I stumbled upon a big ol smelly cotton mouth today and decided to relieve him of his head so that I may make use of it in my free time and make a choker/neckalace or something with it...ANYWAY....I started playing around with it and realized that one of it's fangs were actually two! Kinda weird looking to me and a little added mystery for the "much avoided" viper.

Is it normal for a snake to have three fangs, or have I discovered a rare thing?

I'll attach a few pics, were looking at the fang on the left hand side.

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Can't see it clearly in the pic.

But anyway, most snakes with fangs have multiple sets. They break them off constantly, and rather than having to grow one from scratch, they already have them "waiting in the wings" so to speak.

If you cut the tissue right above where the fangs lays, on either/both sides of the mouth, there should be 3-4 progressively smaller fangs lined up in there.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks Bro...Very informative

That explains a lot, I know that the fangs are very brittle and while wearing leather boots you really dont have a whole lot to worry about in the woods simply because of the way the fangs are arched rearward and when he strikes (normally around the ankle) the fangs will simply break off as you say...But I never even gave any thought to them growing back! Not that I thought they didn't, I just never considered it at all. :D

Thanks again.

Crpdeth
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Also a snakes teeth fall out like a childs does, So before it falls completely out a new one will start growing
  5. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

nice find CRP.....did he give ya the gaping mouth attitude?
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks SS

Rom...I dont think he had a lot of time, nor did I. So I just booted him half way across the lawn I was working in without giveing it any thought, then ran over and stomped on his head, then slid it off with my pocket knife. I think he may have been a little too disorented from his kicking to even know where I was...I guess.

Not exactly sure what to do with it, I have a smaller one that I "preserved" which will make a nice choker, but this one is a little big...Although it will shrink quite a bit.

Not sure...any ideas?

Crpdeth
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

How is this for a snake?
    I just couldn't think of a better place to post this LOL Not trying to hijack your thread:D

Attached Files:

8. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

that's probably the scariest snake i've ever seen...
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Where does all this snake stuff recently come from? It's as bad as the ZUCCHINI stuff!:D

I have this "uneasy truce" with snakes....I know if there wasn't any we'd be arsehole deep in rodents and insects, BUT I still don't really LIKE them...

If I see them first, and they kind of slither by or away (like the water snake that swam by me pretty close the other day fishing, but I saw him FIRST and knew he was there....) paying me no mind or scared to death and going away, I let them be, even when I'm mowing I will avoid running over one if I can...but God forbid one pause and even LOOK back at me, or even worse, SURPRISE me, and I have a weapon of any type or a good boot he's in trouble, it's almost a reflex reaction....I don't care if the odds of it BEING poisonous are one in HOW many million....

...and to OWN one, even a "harmless" one, or even pick it up and let it slither around my neck or arms KNOWINGLY????:eek: That gives me the chills even WATCHING somebody do it....:cool:
  10. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

put his head on a fire ant mound, they will clean it up for ya, but if you want to keep the skin on, put his head in a jar full of alum, it will take all the moisture out and give it that shrunken head look, put a tooth pick holding his mouth open and it will dry like that..:D

13]Thanks SS

Rom...I dont think he had a lot of time, nor did I. So I just booted him half way across the lawn I was working in without giveing it any thought, then ran over and stomped on his head, then slid it off with my pocket knife. I think he may have been a little too disorented from his kicking to even know where I was...I guess.

Not exactly sure what to do with it, I have a smaller one that I "preserved" which will make a nice choker, but this one is a little big...Although it will shrink quite a bit.

Not sure...any ideas?

Crpdeth[/QUOTE]
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well, as far as preserving it goes, I hang them in the shop with thread and keep them sprayed down with polyurathane...The cardboard that I used to hold his mouth open and his fangs extendended will easily fold up allowing me to remove it so that I can make sure he is well coated in his mouth.

Honesty, doing nothing at all past this point will still dry him out.

Now you are wondering what my inital question was. :D What creative thing should I do with him if he is still too big for a neckalace??? LOL :D

Heres a copperhead I did here a while back.

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

12. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Ahhh...now I know what you meant, I need to quit posting before my coffee...Hmmm how about a nice top to a walking stick? or make him a nice fridge magnet....lol
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I really like the walking stick idea, I'll have to mull that one over.

Thanks Rom

Crpdeth