Speaking of Squirrel....

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 6:04:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Speaking of Squirrel....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What would you perfer to take yours with?
    I have the option of a .22 mag open sights, pretty darn accurate, or a .410 that I've never even fired (supposed to be accurate though)...I wouldn't even be considering the rifel, but from my deer stand I noticed some activity in an area or two that would be a long stretch for the shotgun.

Just interested in what you would head out with.

~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 6:27:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Speaking of Squirrel....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if I had to pick between the 22 mag and a .410 I'd go for the .410 (and I don't like a shotgun for squirrel) had a 22 mag and it tore 'em up pretty bad except for the perfect head shot, 3" #4's out of a .410 dosen't throw enough pellets to shred 'em

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/1/02 7:35:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Speaking of Squirrel....
    Yep!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/2/02 7:13:03 am)
    Yup, Fred`s right on. That mag will turn`um inside out. Head shots in general.....make for a messy game bag. I don`t ever head shoot squirrels, unless it`s the only shot.....that`s rare too. With the leaves back on the trees, you should be able to slip up on them. Reds are a easy mark, those cats are tough this time of the year....cause their always on the move. LTS
    T.F.F.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/2/02 4:10:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Speaking of Squirrel....
    I prefer to take mine with my .32 cal muzzleloader. Either head shots or "Bark" 'em. Sure is a whale of a lot of fun. If I don't use the muzzleloader I'll use my .410 the begining of the season (Sep 15 here in Michigan) because the leaves are so thick on the trees. Once the leaves start to fall I'll tke the .22Rf or .22mag once in a while instead of the .32
    RuffItt

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/2/02 7:34:06 pm)
    What um mean "bark em"?

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/2/02 9:17:31 pm)
    Barking a squirrel is shooting the tree bark close to its head, a high speed bullet will kill them from the impact. I didn't think a ML would have the speed and shock to knock 'em out.

In Arkansas you can only hunt feral hogs during an open season, squirrel, deer, etc.. In the wildlife refuge that I hunt in you can only shoot a shotgun with steel shot, so everyone uses a .22 rimfire for squirrel and since we hunt hogs as much as tree rats a .22 mag is the best choice. I use CCI Maxi-Mags solid point bullets. The bullet is covered with a copper jacket just like a center-fire bullet. I'v killed many dozens of squirrles with this round in .22 mag and the damage is not as bad as regular hollow point .22s. Just a small hole going in and small hole going out. Also the .22mag gives you an edge in range. There are some mighty tall trees in the WMAs. Some of them too tall for a clean kill with 12ga. much less a .410.

Very funny Scotty, Now beam down my clothes.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/3/02 10:13:03 am)
    Okay guys, it looks as though I may get rained out...if not, I'm going to use the 22mag the first hunt, and use solid nose bullets like Chief has suggested...if I dont like it, I'll just go with the .410 next time. Thanks for making up my mind for me

BTW- Chief, I know I'm full of questions, but what is a ML? Also, you think the 22mag would take a hog down??? I'd decided to tote the .45 In hopes of seeing one, but hadn't even dreamed of taking the shot with a .22mag.

Thanks everyone.

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/6/02 9:32:46 am)
    Donny -

ML is just shorthand for "muzzleloader". Saves writin' the whole dang thing out every time!

.22Mag for wild hogs? Dude must be brave, man! What the heck, though, I hear tell of fellers that go after 'em with knives and spears, so ............... .

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/2/02 8:15:26 am)
    sorry it took me so long to see your question.....

The thing with using the .22mag with hogs is shot placement. A solid .22mag bullet in the little hollow under/behind the ear will drop even the biggest hog in his tracks,(make sure your angle is right to send the slug into the brain) but it REALLY pisses the big ones off when you miss the spot! the small hogs will drop pretty easy from a head shot, just dont expect to shoot one through the heart/lung area and have it impress them much.....AND shoot your rifle alot so you can make shots good at a distance, I like to be at least 50yds away and have a tree picked out before I pull the tirgger, just in case..lol I haven't been "treed" yet, but there is a first time for everything...

I completely agree that a .22 is not the best choice for hogs. but the other two are a shotgun with steel squirrel shot or not hunting them at all. And the same rule applies to handguns, I do carry a Ruger single six as backup..snicker,snicker.....
    Very funny Scotty, Now beam down my clothes.

Rich in Lincoln
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/5/02 2:00:17 pm)

.17 HR!?!

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/15/02 6:40:49 pm)
    No need to be sorry Chief...I sometimes have to be away awhile myself, like here lately...just got hooked on an on-line game.

Thanks for the response.

Rich, I'm gonna have to try that .17 out!