(Special) Broomhandle Mauser Reproduction market?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Doug.38PR, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

I'm surprised nobody has already had a good gunsmith do this to an original (but then they are worth a lot to destroy their value with such a modification) but I think there would be a market in a company like Rossi, Uberti or any company reproducing the Broomhandle Mauser in 9mm or even .357 Sig or 10mm Specifically a special version that has a 4 inch barrel with a flash suppressor and a small scope on the top or side of the gun. A few clips for 9mm to cram into the top.

As an accessory have a nice belt and swivel holster to go with it.

I think there would be a decent market for this (and I'm sure there are quite a few people here who know exactly why that would be.)

The market may not be law enforcement or personal defense interest (except for maybe a hiking gun or even a hunting pistol with .357 Sig or 10mm) but a certain market of people who are of a different hobby

I know I'd go out and buy one for $3-400. :cool:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bet you would. Problem is it would cost closer to 3-4000.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Ermmm...Han Solo perhaps? :D
    I've thought about trying to do that with one of the cheap Chinese knockoffs...except they're expensive and collectible enough in their own right.

There are a few places out there that make or have made non-firing prop guns of pretty much every one of the Star Wars weapons. I don't know of any firing replicas but I'm sure some smith somewhere has whipped one up for a die-hard fan.

I agree with Alpo though, the machinework and fitting required to do a Broomhandle would be in the several thousand dollar range. And to cheapen it up with a modernized sheetmetal or cast version would just completely kill the allure
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I don't see the market being big enough for such an project by any gun company.
  5. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I would do it, although the original 7.63 still has interest for me.
    I blew it years ago when I missed the opportunity to buy one rebarreled by Federal Arms for the shooters market. I had just purchased another gun and was flat broke when the knock came, I still regret that.
    Although many were chinese made, they shot well and looked good, which is all I care about. I had a badly rusted one for a time, but it was terrible for accuracy and I dumped it.
    The damn thng was just plain fun to shoot though, lots of nostalgia there.
  6. lilmule

lilmule New Member

For its day and time like most german guns difficult to mfg,complicated therefore if made in modern times wouldnt cost 200-300 bucks.
    Design also would limit it to calibers less than what you are asking for,while they made a few 45 lugers for us army trials,the toggle action was less than desired and better suited to tad less bullet.The broom handle would fare not much better.
    Talk about a slide or hammer bite,but then again hand with that large a grip should never come high on it.cc version no doubt it,just to large a box.
    Fun yes but in 30 cal luger etc.
    A CZ 61 in 32 acp should be about its modern equal.Costing about 450.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

THe really weak part in the C96 is the Bolt Stop. Shear it and you are wearing the bolt between the eyes. The high density rounds you mentioned are just too much for the design.
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

With the amount of hand fitted parts in the original a reproduction would likely be too expensive. Neat and desirable, but too expensive.
    If there was even a .22 copy it would be a ball to shoot, I would want one (or two) for my own if I could afford it.
  9. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

;) That's what I'm talkin' about. With all the Star Wars fans in the world, I'll bet you MANY of them would LOVE to buy a "real" Han Solo pistol that shoots a real projectile.

Surely the broomhandle can be internally redesigned so there is not so much craftmanship in it. Just look at the Ruger New Vaquero. Looks like a Colt, but inside it's mass produced.
  10. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I don't believe that with modern CNC machining the C-96 would be all that complex to make. Properly done, 'hand fitting' would be greatly reduced.
  11. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

Sorry late to the party...
    You can see my Broophandle. I really doubt there i would be a market. A stainless Lugar was made for a while but it didn't run long.(Have one) That Broomhandle would be very expensive to make. Lots of precision machining. I guess you could go plastic like Olympic Arms tried with their Whitney Wolverine but that was a failure. (I have a real one ..nothing like the real thing.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]