Specific characteristics for dissecting Bambi

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by user, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I agree and have to admit that my Dad is the same in many respects... Well, it depends on what he is buying.

I was once helping him trim some shrubs on his place and he was complaining about some "loppers" that he was using... I pointed to the 3.99 price tag still stuck to it and replied "Here's your problem" LOL! He had bought them at a pawn shop that gets in some cheap tools on a truck. We got a good laugh out of that one, but the truth is that you usually get what you pay for. I suggested the Forschners because they just simply work, year after year, better than some of the higher priced blades that I've tried.

Anyway, looks like you have a nice collection now and I expect to see some pictures of your butchering skills this season... I hope to post up some of mine as well! :):):)

Crpdeth
  2. wpage

wpage New Member

I always carry my multitool & when hunting a Buck 6" blade for the work on whitetails...
  3. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    What kind of "multitool", and what do you find that use it for most often?
  4. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

Very late on this, but hey I just found this site. Here is my .02 worth of information. I use a folding buck knife for gutting and general clean up of the animal in the field. When I am ready to process my deer I use the same buck knife, after it has been washed, to skin it, then wash it again and quarter the animal out. I also use a hack saw to cut off the ribs, back bone, and neck, and then a flexible 8” fillet knife to process the quartered out deer into whatever final cuts I am making.

The above 3 items have served all my processing needs over the last 10 years.

I also carry a Case mini copper lock pocket knife with me and a smaller pocket knife in my backpack in case I forget the Buck knife, loose it, or if it breaks. As someone above mentioned you can gut a deer in the woods with a regular pocket knife if need be, you more than likely will not split the rib cage, but you can get the animal gutted and cooled off just the same.
  5. evan756

evan756 New Member

i have a kershaw 5 inch fixed blade that i use for almost everything wether it is moose or whitetail. i find that anything bigger tends to find my fingers. also one feature about this knife that i like is the rubber handle easy to hold and dose not slip out of your hand. As fare as i am conserned ill never need another knife again last year i managed to help gut and skin 4 moose on one sharpen and touched it up before the 5th.
  6. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I'm thinking that folding knives would be too hard to clean effectively.
  7. 45nut

45nut New Member

+1,000 Donny on the Forchner's!!!!!!!! Nothing like a 6" curved boning knife. I can do everything with my Buck, but why?

One thing about guys is we're always looking for the right tool for the job. A good skinning knife may bone out your deer, but why not get the best tool for the job? Glad you got the boning knives too. :D
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

each to their own and whatever works for each individual is what works. But in the past 2 years (for whitetails) I use the Gerber "Gator" gut hook with me, and do all the skinning with it as well. When I have the deer shinned I break out 2 buck lock-back folders and go to work. For 30yrs all I ever used was the 2 bucks, 110 & the
    112. Never have taken a deer to have it proccesed. IMO, whatever works for each person is all good to go.