speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ldrelitz
    (1/29/02 1:07:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was on a site that gave some info. on how the speed of sound relates to black powder shooting. Can't find the site now. Am writing a little article on black powder shooting/hunting and I wanted to at least touch on the subject. It's my understanding that when black powder shooting, you're shooting very close to the speed of sound. I think the info I read before condoned not pushing the bullet too fast, because the sooner the speed of sound catches the bullet, the better for accuracy. I would also assume that the shock waves have less effect on heavier conicals as opposed to lighter, faster sabots. Any links or info would be appreciated.

Edited by: ldrelitz at: 1/30/02 1:24:42 pm

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/29/02 4:14:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When all else fails... go to the source

www.nmlra.org

I hope this helps, till 1 of our M/L experts arrive

β€œI ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” β€œTo disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” --George Mason

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/30/02 12:53:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    Welcome Aboard ldrelitz!

One of our BP folks should be here soon to
    help you out!