1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ldrelitz
    (1/29/02 1:07:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was on a site that gave some info. on how the speed of sound relates to black powder shooting. Can't find the site now. Am writing a little article on black powder shooting/hunting and I wanted to at least touch on the subject. It's my understanding that when black powder shooting, you're shooting very close to the speed of sound. I think the info I read before condoned not pushing the bullet too fast, because the sooner the speed of sound catches the bullet, the better for accuracy. I would also assume that the shock waves have less effect on heavier conicals as opposed to lighter, faster sabots. Any links or info would be appreciated.

Edited by: ldrelitz at: 1/30/02 1:24:42 pm

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/29/02 4:14:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When all else fails... go to the source

www.nmlra.org

I hope this helps, till 1 of our M/L experts arrive

β€œI ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” β€œTo disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” --George Mason

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/30/02 12:53:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: speed of sound and how it effects black powder shooting
    Welcome Aboard ldrelitz!

One of our BP folks should be here soon to
    help you out!