speer "DEEPCURL" 250 GRAIN 45 BULLETS

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dammitman, Feb 3, 2011.

1. dammitman

dammitman Member

i just recieved an order for several boxes of these nice looking bullets to load into new 45 winchester magnum brass i have for my LAR grizzly win mag pistol. but then i noticed the small print at the bottom of the description on muidwayusa that says,,,
    Special Note:
    DeepCurl's unique construction process joins the jacket to the core at the molecular level for excellent performance and consistency. For this reason, conventional reloading data developed for standard jacketed bullets should not be used to load DeepCurl bullets. Only DeepCurl specific reloading data released by Speer Bullets should be used. It can be found at the Speer website or by contacting Speer Technical Services.
    i of course being of a safety mind and not needing any problems emailed them and also called to get some kind of specs on loading these different than i would have and have had for a 250 grain bullet like i have used in the past. now i have not heard back yet but i am going to guess that they wont have any specific data for my round available but i did notice upon test loading a few of the bullets into brass that they seat deeper than a hornady 250 grain XTP and about as far as a 300 grain speer bullet. i generally use blue dot powder for all my 45 win mag loads as it just works really well. i never load to max data as i found it just doesnt shoot as well and is just hard on pistols. what i am asking is your opinion on what they will have for data, or what you would do if they have no data. could i use the 300 grain data due to the fact that the bullet is about the same size to start? what do you think? any insight is appreciated and thanks!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Thankfully, you are safety minded. Better to inquire and find out. I think you pretty well answered your own question. Every bullet is different and the weight distribution and CG for this bullet is significant enough to have the disclaimer. Not all bullets of the same weight will seat with the same resulting case volume. Hopefully Speer gets back to you soon with some data.

If I had no load data for this exact bullet and I had to have them loaded for some reason, then I would check the case volume with a seated bullet and compare that to the 300 gn bullet that you have. If it's the same or greater volume, then start with a starting load and develop the load from there. That's only if it was an absolute need to have them loaded though. If the bullets are on the market, there ought to be some data available. I'll put a bug into Speer's ear tomorrow too, I tried their site and didn't find anything for data on the DeepCurl.
  3. dammitman

dammitman Member

i recieved an email back from them and they had no idea what to tell me as of course they must cover themselves if they havent done any testing. i hope to hear from them today by phone to ask a few other questions but i will have to expect that they wont give any advise except not to use it, again just to cover themselves. i have been told by several manufacturerers to sell the gun as it is just not a popular round! can you believe that? anyways i see that the lowest load data provided by hornady for the same weight bullet will not be compressed by any means and i can see myself loading that and chrono testing. i will wait to see what they say first though. i really think that this is why one should own a thompson contender, ammo testing!
  4. dammitman

dammitman Member

well, waiting for responces from some sources that should be there just dont make it sometimes. i loaded several at 15.4 grains of blue dot and some at 15.0 grains. they both shot just fine and showed no signs of overpressure at all. the 15.4 was actually more accurate. due to time constraints i wasnt able to get out the chronograph but will do that next time for sure. with a little more time and doing some more contacting of others i know who shoot this round i will consult with them on other powders and start loads. there just are not many out there who seem to shoot this round.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  5. dammitman

dammitman Member

well, had the chronograph out today and as i figured out anyways, you can use 15.0 to 15.4 grains of blue dot for all bullets in 45 win mag that weigh 230, 240, 250, and 260 grains. all shot between 1200 to 1350 fps depending on the weight and none showed any sign of overpressure. factory ammo shot around 1200 to 1150 fps depending on what ammo used but all factory ammo was winchester produced. i have read of people having problems with this round "45 winchester magnum" but from what i have read they were loading just WAAAAY TOO HOT and expecting good results. some people just should not handload, ever.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

now for some pics of that Grizzly and the targets !! ;) :D

I have yet to hear anything back either. We'll see what next week brings.
  7. dammitman

dammitman Member

i gotta figure out how to post pictures, i am not all that computer savy and i have to look at my fingers to type! i will try and get my boy to help.