Speer Reloading manual #9

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DixieLandMan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Does anyone happen to have this old manual? Looking for loading data for a 165 grain soft point bullet. Stock number 2029. It's for a .30-06 rifle. I think it is on page 49. Thank you!
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Dixieland , I do have this old manual. Its buried out in the shed. Its dark at the moment and I'm afraid of the dark. If no one answers by tomorrow I'll be happy to go find it.:)
  3. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

30-06 165gr bullet. Speer Reloading manual #8

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
    manual #8 [​IMG]
  4. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Thanks for helping him, 243. I looked everywhere for mine and no luck.
  6. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I contacted Speer and they were able to send me a copy of that page. The bullet is different from the newer style but will still work. Thank you all for looking for me!
  7. strandelin

strandelin New Member

DixieLandMan, did you receive any data on the bullet itself? I use the Speer #2029 bullet in a 308W rifle and so far only tried it on the shooting range. My intention is to go for predator hunting and I understand that #2029 is not a real varmint bullet, but is it soft enough with some explosive performance?

8. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Attached Files:

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I like the way the old Speer manuals are laid out. I gave away my #9 when I bought a #14 and I have a hard time figuring out the new lay out!!
  10. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Strandelin, I just use it for .30-06 but have yet to shoot at a deer. Since it is a soft point and will mushroom, we can use them here. I'm not sure what size predators but I think using the bullet on anything large deer or smaller will work fine.
  11. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

WOW 4895 is sure different when compared to IMR 4895 in the #9 The #8 must be using the old 4895.
  12. strandelin

strandelin New Member

OK, thank you. :)

Will use it, or at least it is my plan to use the bullet to hunt red fox. Understand that #2029 bullet not is the best choice for red fox but since I have it I will use it.

13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad you found what you were looking for.

I not only have a 9th edition but I think I still have a box with a few of the 165 grain bullets in question from decades ago stashed away.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is not a good idea to reload out of an old reloading manual. Over the years max loads for many combos has changes Why, you ask?

Years ago loads were worked up with no accurate measure of the resultant pressure. Early on the loads were maximized using the appearance of the fired cartridge case. At one point in time they used the crusher method which through a vent hole in the case crushed a calibrated hunk of copper that was compared to a chart to read pressure in "CUPs". At best it only gave an indication of the pressure. In recent years the manual's teams have gone to a electronic transducer which give electronic results that can be observed for every instant, live and in storage in an oscilloscope. After this kind of testing many loads were reduced for safety's sake. TAKE NOTICE.... some of the old loads were over pressure. The new manuals represent safe loads with accurate pressure data taken with modern instrumentation. Load pressures listed in PSI represent such safe loads recently tested.

Really old manuals are best if stored in the trash can. Do not use them!

LDBennett
  15. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agree 100%.

No doubt that the best information is the freshest.

Disagree 100%.

Not if you collect them. ;) :D