Spent case damges?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RimfireRat, Dec 15, 2006.

1. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

I just tried out my new "used" 1911 today. Most all the fired caes showed a flat side where it appears to have hit on ejection. Scratches showing the direction of impact show akso if yoiu look closely. Also a sharp burr on the rim from the extractor. no problem with feed or extraction. [​IMG] Note on the ctr case the shinny burr on the rim, I has a bit of a sharp feel to it. the extractor in the gun looks fine. [​IMG] Any ideas? Any cures. --JMJ--
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You said NEW(Used) did the previous owner ever break it in?
  3. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Yea, it been shot .not abused. it's a 70 series. i looked at my buddies Norinco and his ejection port is cut about a 1/4" lower on the side of the slide. To the best I can see thats where it seems to be contracting. I shot some new PMC FMJ and some reloads with XTP HPs . Ate 'em all no problem just the banged case rim. As too the previous owner , he changed the sites twice and throated and polished it and left it in his sholder holster too long . got me some pitting on the left frt side of the slide Shows use ,but not real hard use. He died and his sister was selling his guns thru the shop I frequent. Seems it was his carry gun. too many times they get carried more than shot. He also reloaded. HAd a good collection of handguns so maybe it didn't get it's turn as often as it should have--JMJ--
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The ejection port on a 1911 is too small and marks the cases as they leave the port. A very common mod through the years has been to lower that ejection port and to put a divot in the slide the shape of the case so that there is no sharp edge for the case to bang on. I did it myself by hand years ago to my Series 80 Colt. Brownells sells a grinding stone to do the divot and the size of the ejection port lowering is spelled out in detail in the 1911 manuals by Jerry Kuhnhausen (excellent two book set filled with specific details on the 1911 including almost a complete set of dimensioned drawings, and dimensions and spec for common modifications like this ejection port mod).

Your extractor may have too much tension if it is badly marking the cases. The Jerry Kuhnhausen book details how to check and adjust that tension. He uses special gages. I soldered a heavy wire handle onto an empty case and pushed and pulled it under the extractor using a trigger pull gage to measure mine. Adjustment is a simple bending of the leaf of the extractor that acts as spring.

But not to worry as the reloading dies will straighten out those dented cases you pictured no problems. You really do not have to modify the gun at all.

LDBennett
  5. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

LDBennett, Thanks , thats about what i was figuring as the cause.Then after looking at some of the pic on here I saw most were cut way lower than mine. looks like me and my dremel will have ro dance some evening,-I had done that to a cheap 22 auto some 20 yrs ago to cure jams-:D --JMJ--
  6. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Well I've been collecting new parts little by little untill get all i need to break 'er down and upgrade. But mean while I did some work on the extractor and opened up the ejection port a little bit. NO MORE DENTED CASES :D and they now seem to pile up where I can find them rather all over the county.[​IMG] A little dance with my Dremel and we are in business,It doesn't look like much but it was all it needed. :D --JMJ-- (that shinny spot on the back bevel is from the flash)
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:) good job. Careful or you might have to change your name. :D