Spent casings extraction from cylinder advice sought.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Remington597, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I have one of many North American Derringer revolvers and this only happens frequently with the .22LR, the spend casings are obviously stuck to the cylinder, but the challenge is how to remove them without damaging the interior of the cylinder and not having to use the cylinder pin assembly all the time. I am sure the cylinder pin assembly is not meant for that purpose, although it works like a charm, but a new one is $50, and I don't feel like damaging it. Is there an alternative method or an alternative tool that one may suggest. I tried using a qtip, but its too weak at the stem and bends without taking out the spent shell.
    A friend of mine recommended dental implements such as plastic tooth picks, but I've found that they can scratch the interior of the cylinder as well, any suggestions before I email North American and ask. I don't want to seem like a fool., but I think its a fair question. Your thoughts? Here is a photo of the revolver.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I am no expert but couldnt you use a wooden dowel the size of the bore and pop the stuck casing out with out scratching the bore?
  3. Remington597

Thanks , but where do I find one that size?
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Take a spent casing to your local hardware or craft store and find a dowel size that closely fits the inside of the case.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

A 3/16ths (.1875) wooden dowel should do the job.
  6. Remington597

Many thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I will go to HomeDepot or Lowes after the hurricane, when there is some sanity restored there and I will get it. thanks

Brian
  7. Dan70

Dan70 Member

Here is a link to their online owners manual. NAA Mini owners manual Scroll down to unloading. They do say to use the cylinder pin for unloading.
  8. Remington597

Dan70:
    Thanks for the link, I saw it. Its interesting, they do recommend it!, but then again, they do like it when we buy replacement parts, but then again, maybe its designed for it. I will dry both ways. Thanks everybody.