Spikes tactical .22 conversion kit or Sig Mosquito

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by TTUshooter, May 19, 2009.

?

.22 conversion kit or sig mosquito?

1. .22 conversion kit

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Sig Mosquito

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I got some cash for my birthday to put towards something firearms related and i've set that I want to get somthing in .22lr, to shoot a little more economically. I've narrowed it down to a Sig mosquito with a threaded barrel for suppression later down the road, or a Spikes Tactical .22 conversion kit for AR. I can buy the conversion kit right now, I'd probably have to put the sig on layaway for a paycheck or two, but not a big deal. what would The firearms forum do??
  2. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'd go with the conversion. I looked at the Mosquito and thought about buying one, then I did some research and it has very mixed reviews. Some have FTFs, and FTEs. I guess they're finicky about ammo, which spings, and other concerns. I got a Ruger instead. TJ
  3. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have two Mosquitos (1 Sport; 1 just the standard basic version). I love them both. Bought the Sport new nearly three years ago and initially experienced the widely lamented issues (FTL, FTF, FTE, etc.) with various ammo brands I experimented with. Finally settled on CCI MiniMags (36 and 40 gr solid nose) with the white spring. All I do is keep it clean and shoot it wet. After many thousands of trouble-free rounds, I enjoy shooting it every chance I get. The second fell into my hands when its first owner loudly procalimed his disgust with it and dumped it for a song. I just cleaned it up, broke it in properly and now put many thousands of rounds through it without issues of any kind; in fact I've added the bridge and a red dot. I bought and use both for muscle memory and shooting practice in place of my P228 and P229 "carry" pieces. As long as they're kept relatively clean, well lubricated and are fed ammo they like, they're just flat fun to shoot...and a lot easier to reassemble than Rugers.
  4. Flork

Flork New Member

I've had a lot of experience with the Mosquito since they were brought over by Sig. I got to shoot one of the first imported models at the factory more than 3 years ago.

I found that the Mosquito works best when you lubricate your ammo and use the light recoil spring or use a suppressor.

To lubricate the ammo I put 50 rounds of ammo in a shop towel, drip 3-4 drops of oil onto the pile of ammo and roll the ammo around in the towel so all of the rounds have a very light coating of oil. The use of the lighter recoil spring allows for better extraction and full stroke cycling.

The use of a suppressor increases back pressure which gives the side more power to cycle.

The triggers on the Mosquitos are absolutely terrible. I've been able to fix them by smoothing up the DA and SA modes, but with the internal mechanics of the gun, I can't make the DA any lighter.

One of the biggest cycling issues I've discovered with the Mosquito is the amount of over cock the hammer has. Over cock is how far the stripper rail has to push the hammer farther down after it's been recocked. The additional over cock means the slide needs more momentum to over take the hammer and completely cycle.

Just my 2 cents
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I would not buy a Mosquito! Read some of the preceding posts relative to being ammo sensitive.

I opine that it is not a good product, and unworthy of the SIG name. I think they may have stopped importation.

I had a SIG customer service rep. tell me that CCI Mini-Mag was the only recommended ammo for reliability. CCI Mini-Mag is fine ammo with a good recoil signature for working troublesome autoloaders; but it is expensive (typically about 3X) compared to the 500+ round bulk-pak plinking competition. The Mosquito is marketed as a utility or plinking pistol, not a Bullseye target pistol like the Trailslide.