spiller and burr revolver kit

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Feb 7, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have been wanting a bp revolver for some time now and I finally made my mind up on the one I want its the spiller and burr revolver kit at dixie gun works for 195 how hard are the kits to put togather I have put the ky kits togather before and they said it would be easy for me.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

If you check around some of the gun auction sites, you are liable to find an assembled Spiller & Burr for less than $200......
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    They are not that hard to put together however as stated, you can buy a used one cheaper by the time you add the wood stain and the metal finish. I have bought several parts kits that people thought were a good idea to do and once started they found out it was not such a good idea!
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

The wood work is kind of why I want the kit I found one at cabelas for 229. What metal finishing would I have to do thanks
  5. sewerman

sewerman New Member

sounds like you have made up your mind for a kit.

not much work on the wood grips, basic shaping & final sanding, staining.

depending on the maker of the kit you could be faced with hours of hand filing, to remove milling marks, then more work to remove file marks by hand sanding and further metal polishing then bluing or browing of the metal.

then, you have to check for proper cylinder indexing & timing. you could have hours of work ahead of you or just a few...all depends on the quality of the kit.
    my own opinion is the kits are thrown together with parts off the assembly line that haven't even been seen by quality control inspectors.

50% chance everything will fall into place 50% that lots of work is needed.

and why should there be a complaint...the buyer wanted "A KIT"

my advice is to purchase a single shot muzzleloader pistol kit with a blank stock. or a kit that has a stock somewhat shaped & inletted but needing final fitting work.
    that will provide you with the wood working experience you desire without all the metal work & possible mechanical issues that you may not want to tackle.

good luck & enjoy!

S.M.
  6. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

On the spiller and revolver is it like the 1858 remington. Where you can take the cylinder and put another one in without have to take the gun apart. Thanks
  7. sewerman

sewerman New Member

the spiller & burr design influenced the 1858 remington revolver.

though never have removed the cylinder from a S.&.B. revolver just from looking at both 1858 rem & S&B i would say yes, the cylinder can be switched out as the 1858.

i'm not sure as to the availability of the extra S&B cylinders, while the 1858 rems are readily available.

S.M.
  8. bubba15301

bubba15301 New Member

cabelas has new ones for 229.95 with free shipping