Spin-off Thread - Why do you carry what you carry?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Mar 16, 2010.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I noticed in another thread that the .45 is popular, and even the .380 gets more votes than the .38 .
    I can understand the love of the .45, but some of them can be a little heavy. And the .380 is too small for some to consider it a real defense round.
    Everyone has different opinions on the perfect carry gun, so lets hear your thoughts.

Please tell me why you have chosen each particular gun you carry.
    What is/are your carry gun(s)?
    Why did you chose that/those exact guns.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I replaced my .380 with a .40, the .380 Walther PPK/S I had was junk, and during target practice I figured my life was worth much more than an unreliable .380. I wasn't happy with the lack of .380 ammo in stores either. The Springfield EMP .40 seems to be a better choice for self defense in every way except size (for me); I'll have to find a different holster for summer.

I chose Springfield's EMP because of the warranty they provide, and because they took the 1911 style and machined it the same only smaller, they didn't just cut down the 1911 frame.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

We carry Beretta 32's. It is not a securiety thing or anything like that. It is small and compact and that is the only thing that matters. For me having the large caliber carry guns is defeating the purpose. In the right hands a small caliber handgun will provise as much securiety as a large caliber. It all boils down to your training with the weapon you intend to carry. My wife and I are very well versed in the use of our 32's we also carry the same gun between us. she has her 32 and I have mine. We do this for 1 reason and that is if something was to happen to me in an encounter then she already knows the weapon that I carry for it is the same as hers.
  4. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

9mm. Why? It's a perfect balance between firepower and capacity. The 1911 in 45 is still my favorite all around gun/ammo but is impractical for me to carry concealed on a daily basis year-round.

I am trained to double tap center-mass on a threat and finish up with one to the head. This means 3 rounds in quick order for each threat. This is no matter what caliber I use, .22 to .50. To me the .45 must sacrifice capacity (with a gain in bulk/weight).

I have heard uneducated people say "you don't have to double tap with a .45"........I ALMOST feel sorry for those people. Almost. Education is power.

Above all, shot placement is critical and I train enough and have won enough matches to be confident in my abilities to hit vitals with speed and accuracy. A 9mm is more than up to the task. Study balistics on humans and human-sized animals you will find that a 9 is about on par with a .45. ("Handgun Stoping Power" and the "Strasbourg tests") Here is a quick snip:http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

There is no huge Earth-shattering advantage of a .40 or .45 over a 9mm+P when it comes to stopping humans. This statement will surely incite a riot, but I care not. I have done enough research over the last 20 years.

The end result is having a comparably effective gun with 15 rounds at the ready (G19) in a fairly slim, lightweight, reliable package.

I'm ready for all of the arguments and haters because I was one myself just a few years ago. I admit that I made fun of 9mm and Glocks. I thought that there was no other gun in the world that mattered besides a 1911 45. Fortunately I opened my mind and educated myself.

If someone does carry a 1911, thats great. What a wonderful defensive handgun with few drawbacks. I can't do it down here in the deep south in shorts and a t-shirt without it printing though.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

When I first started carrying, I carried a wide range of guns, in a wide range of carrying styles, trying to determine what worked. For years it was a stainless PPK 380 IWB behind my right hip - both holstered and Mexican carry. 1911 45 in a shoulder rig, in the winter. Made some discoveries. Wore the shoulder rig out to dinner one night, and had to sit there in a puddle of sweat, as the restaurant was heated to 70, and my coat was right for 30. Couldn't take the coat off - was wearing a gun. I've bent over and had my shirt ride up and expose the IWB. Time or three, I walked out of the house with my gun sitting on the counter - just forgot to pick it up.

But I discovered that, no matter how hot it was, I always left my pants on. So now I have a 2" J frame 38 in a pocket holster, that lives in my pocket. I don't have to think about picking up my gun - I get up, put my pants on and I'm wearing my gun. I put on clean pants and stand there with the dirty ones in my hands transferring stuff. Wallet, keys, knife, money, belt, gun. I still, occasionally, leave the house with my cell phone sitting on the counter hooked up to the charger, but I've always got my gun.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I carry .380 b/c its what I know. Size is the only determining factor for me. Weight dosen't really bother me, but I can sometimes hardly stand walking around with a wallet in my back pocket. Its all about comfort but also I know my CZ forwards and backwards. I can shoot right and left handed, single handed, laying down, sitting up, standing on my head (OK maybe not that) but its what I know and I know that I will hit what I'm aiming at and I trust this gun. I've shot 45's I own a 38 a 357 and a 9mm also but the .380 is the one that I can control day in, day out. Yes I understand that the .380 has less knock down power, but I have a better chance of hitting you in the face with it than I would with my 38.
    I never understood why some people carry this gun one day, and another another day and another a 3rd day. So when an unfortunate time that you need to use the gun your thinking, OK do I have my 45? or my 38?
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

:D
  8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

YES! That is the main thing. Carry the one you know and are comfortable with! You will be far more efficient than someone with a larger gun that is unfamiliar with it.

I carried a .380 for a while. Great gun that will punch a person's ticket with ease. I could not find ammo! Maybe one day this shortage thing will end.:(
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Alpo, Is that a front pants pocket or a hip pocket? I didn't carry concealed for 70 yrs. and am becoming some what frustrated in finding a satisfactory weapon. The LCP I just sold satisfied the weight factor but my fingers are too long (I'm 6'3" & 215#) and I could just not get the trigger finger rapidly into the trigger guard after drawing from the holster. Practice, practice, peractice did not solve the problem so I got rid of the gun. I carried the LCP in a Fobus paddle which I liked or a Nemisis pocket but never got comfortable with the pocket carry but didn't do it much. Right now I am looking for the next carry weapon and looking hard at the Ruger LCR. I have a S&W 649-2 that I have carried and will probably always keep but the weight is too much for it to become that regular carry weapon I want to obtain. I agree with Hellix that switching carry guns is not such a good idea. :confused:
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i carry anything from a north american arms 22 mag to a 44 s&w 629 classic hunter.inckuding 40 cal taurus,45 cal colt,38 cal taurus,9 mm taurus.there are others.my carry gun depends on what im doing,if fishing it usually stainless 38 special with snake shot,if am out mushroom hunting i carry a 44 mag,if cutting grass in shorts and tank top then north american.if its cold and i will be in the city outdoors it will be one of my 45 acps.i may carry a high capicity 9mm if i am somewhere i fear for my life from multiple threats.never think that one gun can do it all. old semperfi
  11. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I'm that guy that carries a .45 1911 with 3" barrel year round as far as the 9mm goes it's better than a 380 but not a .45. If one wishes to say a 9mm with +p then I get to say the same for a .45 +p. :p almost does not equate to equal to:eek: That being said The gun you can comfortably carry and is reliable that you can shoot well should be your carry gun.:D
  12. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have read many posts on this and other forums by LEO's as to the effects of different calibers and their stopping power. My feeling is that shot placement and luck is way more important than caliber. They cite many examples of instant fatalities with .22's and survivors hit multiple times with .357 mag's. I do think that the majority of BG's will be somewhat distracted when shot and the threat will be over. A BG high on drugs is quite another story and I would keep pulling the trigger until it just goes click and hope for the best. I carry what I think I can conceal best and shoot the most comfortably and reliably. It's not always the same pistola, that's why I keep having to buy new ones.
  13. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

...and a 454 Casul would be better than that...and a 500S&W would be even better...and a..:rolleyes: Your last sentence is a true statement and the key to effective hangunning.

I would like to quote Delta13soultaker from another thread, for there is much wisdom in this quote and relevance to this thread:

"But how a man saves his ass is up to him. Whatever tools he uses, whether his hands, a pistol, or a wrench is his choice. Wild Bill Hickock used puny .36's and then and now people advocated the .44's to be superior etc etc. But very very few people that faced those .36's ever lived to dispute their effectiveness.

Yeah a .45 is potentially more capable of stopping/killing a person than a 9mm. But a 9mm will damn sure do the job. Both cartridges are about the same age and aren't going away.

Every soldier I train I tell them they showed up with the only weapon they will ever get; the one in their skull. Everything else they get is just a tool. If the weapon is sharp, the enemy will die regardless of the tools.

There is a lot more you can do to a 1911 to customize it. Hell, lots are built individually from the reciever up. The basic design is thoroughbred fighter no matter what you end up with. A Glock is pretty much fine the way it is. It is hard to break and launches bullets in any condition. I reckon both will have a spot in my armory. Same for .45 acp and 9mm. I can use both fine. Good tools."
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Todd, front.
  15. curulz

curulz New Member

I used to carry a Taurus Milennium in 40, but I've never been comfortable with double action only triggers. so i recently upgraded to springfield EMP in 40. I'm much more comfortable with 1911's and single actions, so it was good compromise for me.