Spin-off Thread - Why do you carry what you carry?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Mar 16, 2010.

1. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Glock 23 .40 cal

Why the .40 cal?
    First, the .45 is the best round for likelyhood of stopping someone quickly....but you just can't fit that many rounds in a carry size pistol, and you give up firepower.

With the smaller 9mm you have lots of firepower, but it shoots right through people, and barring a head shot, likelyhood of stopping someone is much less.

The .40 cal....you get the best of both world...lots of firepower and the "umpf" nearing that of the .45.

Why the Glock?
    ...Isn't it obvious? rugged, dependable, always works....and yes, ugly

Why the Model 23?
    It is the smaller version of the .40 cal Model 22....the smaller size suited well for carry.

In my opinion, the Glock 23 is among the best of the best for carry.
  2. Dougspop

Dougspop New Member

I carry a SAXDSC 9mm.
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

357 did the best. Well, my 357 sure did stop the deer I shot. ;)

Now for my comment on the topic.

I carry a .22 derringer because it fits in my pocket... and it was a present. So basically, the price was right.

It is mainly a first strike item to give me enough time to get a hold of another, or to close the distance. I only carry it at home.
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

I carry a 4" 1911, and I have done so for over 30 years. The platform is flat, and stays close to me..... I'm 6'1", and 215lbs. In Indiana, I may carry openly, so I really don't care if someone sees it. It's almost always covered but it may print a bit..... no big deal. The biggest reason I carry it is because I'm proficient with it, and I"m very used to it.

That being said, it all boils down to personal preference.....
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Does someone start insidious threads like this for the reason of sending me off to the gun store as I am now not certain on the new purchase of a month ago? :D:D:D
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I carried a Taurus Millennium Pro .40 IWB winter and summer. Sometimes my full size RIA .45 in the winter. I would have bought the Taurus in .45 but they didn't have one in stock and as the .40 is a pretty hot round I went with it.

Since buying my Charles Daley Officer's ACP, I have carried it in a Galco slide through on my strong side hip. In the summer, a pocket "T" will cover the gun so I'm good to go. I also carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 as my BUG strong side front pocket.

.45 primary, 9mm back up, .40 in the vehicle.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I carry a 1911A1 year round, with two extra mags on my left hip. The gun resides in a Yaqui style holster to reduce the amount of weight I am carring. In the winter the gun is covered by my coat. In the summer the gun is covered by my shirt. In the Fall, and early Spring, the gun is covered by the coat. If it warms up I just make a trip to the bath room, take off the coat, pull out my shirt tails, and am good to go. In the summer I am usually in shorts, T shirt, and sandles. If the shorts are blue jean type, nothing changes. If the shorts are the type with the elastic waist band then the gun is in a Smart Carry System. Don't think I need to explain the reason for the caliber. The gun has been set up by Jim Clark (before he passed away), it is reliable, and a traget shooter. It will do it's job if I do mine. For those of you that carry several different types of guns, I would like to see you get some real training. Please!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  8. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Sometimes I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 IWB with Corbon Pwrball ammo.

Sometimes I carry a Ruger SR9c IWB with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Why? Because I trust them! :cool: